The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

600hp cheap head build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpmxrider489

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 4, 2010
pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
So I got a set 272/272 regrinds. But I found out that I have to use shims. So would I need to get 3g lifters and different springs or can I just get the shims? The stock head can go a far way. I only plan on reving to 8500 if that on my hx40. I heard that manly springs are pretty good and can go without there retainers. So whats you guys think?

The shims are needed to put the lifters to proper height with regrinds.

Depending on which Manley springs you get (spring pressure) is 1 factor to your reving.

Get the retainers as well as they should come with them.

Don't forget like the seals to replace and gaskets/timing components if the head is coming off.

I was trying to avoid taking the head off. Which is why I ask if its a need to replace the lifters, springs and retainers. People replace cams all the time with the head on the car and even without retiming the car. But I can replace the lifters with the head on and springs. So Ive read that no need for springs if your running 272s. With that said, will I be good just to replace the lifters with shims since they go under the lifter anyway?

The "272" is just a classification, not all 272 cams are the same otherwise there wouldn't be different choices. HKS 272 =/= Kelford 272. The Kelford 272 is like most other 280s, increased duration and ramp rate.

The "272" is just a classification, not all 272 cams are the same otherwise there wouldn't be different choices. HKS 272 =/= Kelford 272. The Kelford 272 is like most other 280s, increased duration and ramp rate.

Taking about regrind they are probably HKS exact regrinds which requiere upgraded springs, im sure the is people that is gonna say "it worked for me" just like the "my ebay turbo is doing good for 20k miles and still going". LOL

I have a budget 1g cylinder head with evo 8 springs/retainers and HKS 272 cams. This should be able to support 600 hp without any issues. It would be the same for a 2g head.

Last edited:
No you can swap springs on the head on the car, but it is a PITA, and in all likelyhood take longer than just pulling the head and doing a spring swap.

Just make sure you install the valve springs to the proper specs.

It is possible to do the change on the car but I think your asking for trouble... cheap and 600hp just does not go together.

First off, check the spring specs for the cams. To turn the R's you want your going to need springs that can keep the valves closed at the given RPM's. You have to watch out for spring bind or stacking. In addition, springs are rated in force at a given compression height. On high HP high RPM applications, I do not like to assume the written specs. There are tools to measure spring force and you then shim the springs to adjust the force needed.

In my opinion (which is just what I would do), I would build the head. Either remove the one on the car or find a cheap used head and build it. Replace the guides, new stainless valves, titanium retainers, etc... I have tried and seen the results of short cuts in that past, nothing good ever came from it in the end. (Ruined heads, blocks, entire engines-catastrophic failure)

Now with that said you can do what you want but remember high HP is not cheap!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just get some real cams, go with the gsc s2 cams with $200 brian crower springs and retainers and 3g lifters if you want. I hate regrinds and shims and over time you will have to add more shims, it just turns into a headache.

Just get some real cams, go with the gsc s2 cams with $200 brian crower springs and retainers and 3g lifters if you want. I hate regrinds and shims and over time you will have to add more shims, it just turns into a headache.

If you are talking about the spring and Ti Retainer package with the BC1100 springs.

They will not work for long, the GS2 are more agressive than the Kelford 272 from everything I hear.

Beehives will be needed for both those cams.

If you are talking about the spring and Ti Retainer package with the BC1100 springs.

They will not work for long, the GS2 are more agressive than the Kelford 272 from everything I hear.

Beehives will be needed for both those cams.

Oh I did some research I thought they where beehive, well I guess you should get kiggly or gsc springs and retainers. I have been running the bc springs and retainers no issue so far, but better safe then sorry.:thumb:

You will not be able to take advantage of the cams with stock springs. Why even upgrade now if you don't have everything you need. The springs are rather easy to swap with the head on the car if you have the right compressor. Something like this will work good.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back