The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

600hp cheap head build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpmxrider489

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 4, 2010
pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
So I got a set 272/272 regrinds. But I found out that I have to use shims. So would I need to get 3g lifters and different springs or can I just get the shims? The stock head can go a far way. I only plan on reving to 8500 if that on my hx40. I heard that manly springs are pretty good and can go without there retainers. So whats you guys think?

How can you replace cams with out haveing to re do the timing???

Well you could try this
RRE Web Cam Installation Instructions

it is reviewed here

Removing Head without doing the timing belt?? - Club DSM Canada

With that being said I would side with bryanwheat and just redo the timing. It is not that hard and you know the tension is correct when it is back together. Also, I would want to recheck the timing marks with either method, so you would be half way there if the timing belt was taken off.

How can you replace cams with out haveing to re do the timing???

That is all I could think about during the entire thread. If you are currently running a 16G, I would not worry about upgrading the cylinder head. Like others are saying, I would suggest pulling the head and taking to a machine shop. Maybe find a machine shop that will show you the ropes. It is a scary thing to throw "unknown brand" springs and "He said HKS profile cams" in your car. To be honest, hold off and wait until you do the build with the HX40 and plan on the car having a bit of downtime to get it right. I think tearing into it at its current state is going to end up costing you money. On the other hand, we all have to learn somehow. I took the "wing it" approach before I attended college. Just plan on making mistakes, plan on a little extra money, and another vehicle to drive... just in case.
Matt

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back