The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 600hp E-85 autocross build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

605jdm

Proven Member
Feb 7, 2016
siouxfalls, South_Dakota
I have 97 GSX just finished doing all maintenance and it is 100% stock. I would like to build it too 600hp ish or somewhere around there but have a lot of torque and low boost threshold for being competitive in autocross. I have had previous experience with DSMs but i want opinions. What turbo should i go with for quick spool (i have been looking at bigger turbos being helped spooled by nitrous, HX30?). what compression ratio should i go with and would stroking it be a bad idea? what coil-overs?

I want kelford 272s but would it still be reliable on the street? I basically want to build a bulletproof 600-700hp autocross build that is streetable.

My car is 99% stock right now. If i got all of the mods you listed would i compete in D street prepared? would the carbon fiber hood bump me up to street modified? and i just put in an electric cutout at the downpipe, would this be illegal in autoX?

Turbo AWD DSM (all years) are eligible to compete in the following classes (broken down by prep level in order of “fastness”) :
Street: DS
Street Touring: STX
Street Prepared: ASP
Street Modified: SM
Prepared: FP or XP
Modified: EM or AM

Like has been mentioned, if the SCCA rulebook does not say you can make a modification in a certain class, then you can’t. This means that while a carbon fiber hood puts you in SM, a carbon fiber hatch puts you in FP. You can run DSMlink in STX, but turning up the boost puts you in ASP. Putting a 6bolt in your 2G means SM, doing an LSx swap means XP.

Take a quick look at the SCCA rulebook page 71-79 for the Street class rules, it’s a little wordy to spell things out for those who like to push rules interpretation, but it in reality only boils down to a handful of allowable modifications.

If your car is 99% stock but you have cut a hole in your oem hood to vent hot air, you can’t run DS anymore. I’m not sure what an electric cutout at the downpipe is or does, but if it does not affect boost, it would be legal in STX because those rules allow you to install whatever you want after the turbo.

In DS you must run wheels that are 6.5 inches wide, but you can go up or down 1” in diameter. You can run a ¼” spacer with a stock offset wheel or you can find a combination of wheel offset and spacer that is within ¼” of factory. Any size 200 tread wear tire you can shoe horn onto that wheel is legal. STX allows any diameter but must be 8" wide max. All other classes you can run whatever tire size you want.

I ran DS for a decade with some success at a National level before I bought Talon #2 to run STX. What I outlined in my previous post will get you a locally competitive car where all you need to do is worry about is tire pressure, 1 adjustment per shock, and you’re good to go.

If you have a carbon fiber hood and a big turbo, and just can't wait to put them on the car, and you don’t care how competitive you are, put them on and run SM.

If you are looking for a set of stock wheels, I’ve got a set of GSX rims I would let go for cheap, or a set of custom 3 piece Kodiaks in stock size that would be considerably more $.

Last edited:
Turbo AWD DSM (all years) are eligible to compete in the following classes (broken down by prep level in order of “fastness”) :
Street: DS
Street Touring: STX
Street Prepared: ASP
Street Modified: SM
Prepared: FP or XP
Modified: EM or AM

Like has been mentioned, if the SCCA rulebook does not say you can make a modification in a certain class, then you can’t. This means that while a carbon fiber hood puts you in SM, a carbon fiber hatch puts you in FP. You can run DSMlink in STX, but turning up the boost puts you in ASP. Putting a 6bolt in your 2G means SM, doing an LSx swap means XP.

Take a quick look at the SCCA rulebook page 71-79 for the Street class rules, it’s a little wordy to spell things out for those who like to push rules interpretation, but it in reality only boils down to a handful of allowable modifications.

If your car is 99% stock but you have cut a hole in your oem hood to vent hot air, you can’t run DS anymore. I’m not sure what an electric cutout at the downpipe is or does, but if it does not affect boost, it would be legal in STX because those rules allow you to install whatever you want after the turbo.

In DS you must run wheels that are 6.5 inches wide, but you can go up or down 1” in diameter. You can run a ¼” spacer with a stock offset wheel or you can find a combination of wheel offset and spacer that is within ¼” of factory. Any size 200 tread wear tire you can shoe horn onto that wheel is legal. STX allows any diameter but must be 8" wide max. All other classes you can run whatever tire size you want.

I ran DS for a decade with some success at a National level before I bought Talon #2 to run STX. What I outlined in my previous post will get you a locally competitive car where all you need to do is worry about is tire pressure, 1 adjustment per shock, and you’re good to go.

If you have a carbon fiber hood and a big turbo, and just can't wait to put them on the car, and you don’t care how competitive you are, put them on and run SM.

If you are looking for a set of stock wheels, I’ve got a set of GSX rims I would let go for cheap, or a set of custom 3 piece Kodiaks in stock size that would be considerably more $.
Ok so lets say i have unlimited money (which i dont) what is everything that i can get to be very competitive in street prepared? Whats the best parts and brands and how much did you want for the stock gsx rims?

Ok so lets say i have unlimited money (which i dont) what is everything that i can get to be very competitive in street prepared? Whats the best parts and brands and how much did you want for the stock gsx rims?

You really should head over to SCCA.com and check out the rulebook, it’s free, and just because some random guy on tuners tells you something is legal for a class doesn’t make it so.

Before you head over there:
You would only need stock sized rims to run in D Street. PM me if still interested.
There is absolutely nothing you can do to your car to be competitive in Street Prepared (other than selling your DSM and buying an EVO).

If you really don’t want to run D Street, answering the following questions could help determine the right class for you:
Do you want to run the stock turbo and stock boost, but have DSMlink, wider wheels and suspension: STX & $$$$
Do you want to run the stock turbo, but turn up the boost and get beat by EVO’s & STI’s: ASP (No, don't do it)
Do you want to swap the turbo: SM & $$$$$$$
Do you want to gut the interior: FP & $$$$$$$$$$

If you want to know what exact parts and brands to buy, search the forums, I can’t do everything for you grasshopper.

You can look at the sticky in the Road Course & Autocross forum here. It sumarizes the rules in more detail, but is somewhat outdated, as the Stock classes are now called Street (r-comp tires no longer legal) & the DSM is no longer in ESP, but ASP, to mention a few changes.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/dsmtuners-com-scca-solo-autocross-guide.451628/

Thanks for all the help I figured out all I need to do to be competitive. I just have one last question I couldn't find can I run speed density in street touring?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back