The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 6 Bolt Swap Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reliable GSX

Probationary Member
Feb 22, 2017
Tampa, Florida
Hey all, as the title suggests I will be swapping in a 6 bolt motor into my 2G GSX here pretty soon. I have purchased a fully built motor and a freshly built transmission from a fellow DSM'er and close friend, so I know the parts are good. I want to fully assemble the motor (intake, exhaust manifold, turbo, etc.) with it outside of the car so when the time comes, my car is down for as little time as possible. To give you an idea on what kind of power I want to be making, I want to daily 500hp and be able to turn the boost up to get to 650hp - 700hp (that will only happen once or twice every other month, as I don't want to over-stress the build). That being said, I wanted to ask a few questions so I know what to expect with the parts I will be buying for the build.

1. I want to go for the FP Red turbo and I want to pair it with the VRSF intercooler kit. Will the piping bolt right up to the turbo with that kit, or will I need to do some custom fab work to make it fit? If the fab work is necessary, are there any other intercooler kits that you would recommend that bolt right up to the FP Red?
2. What size injectors would you all recommend? I was thinking 1600's - 1800's, but I could be overshooting that. I want to stay on pump gas but also have the option of E85 later down the road.
3. What clutch would you recommend? I've been hearing great things about the Exedy Twin Disk, but want to hear some more options.
4. Would a slim fan shroud for the radiator be a necessary purchase since the turbo will be larger than my current 16g? I am mainly worried about clearance here.

Thank you all in advance, I really want to make sure this goes well and everything gets done properly with the right parts. If you have any tips/pointers/tricks to make this swap go smoother, do not hesitate to give your input! :)

To start off, the FP Red will not get you to 650-700 hp. 500hp is achievable with that turbo but you will need a different turbo choice if 650-700hp true goal.
1. Yes that kit should theoretically bolt up after you make the modifications needed to run that kit. The only couplers you may need to buy separate are the turbo outlet and TB, depending on your setup. Here is an install write-up:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/vrsf-intercooler-mounting.379106/
2. Budget? DSMLink? If I did it all over again, I would just buy the 2150 hi-Z injectors or the 1680 hi-z if you wanted smaller. DSMLink can control them so why not!
3. Quartermaster, PTT and Exedy are popular options for twin disk. At 500hp, you could run an ACT 2600 with Southbend Kevlar disc, great clutch combo for that power.
4. You will likely have to switch to a slim fan.

Last edited:
To start off, the FP Red will not get you to 650-700 hp. 500hp is achievable with that turbo but you will need a different turbo choice if 650-700hp true goal.
1. Yes that kit should theoretically bolt up after you make the modifications needed to run that kit. The only couplers you may need to buy separate are the turbo outlet and TB, depending on your setup. Here is an install write-up:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/vrsf-intercooler-mounting.379106/
2. Budget? DSMLink? If I did it all over again, I would just buy the 2150 hi-Z injectors or the 1680 hi-z if you wanted smaller. DSMLink can control them so why not!
3. Quartermaster, PTT and Exedy are popular options for twin disk. At 500hp, you could run an ACT 2600 with Southbend Kevlar disc, great clutch combo for that power.
4. You will likely have to switch to a slim fan.

Thanks for the link for the intercooler mounting! As for the turbo set up, I think the 650hp range can wait for another day. 500hp - 550hp is plenty for the streets, and I think if I go larger than the FP Red, I won't like how much lag the turbo will have.
For injectors, I am really trying to not cheap out on parts that are vital to performance, so there really isn't a budget. Since you mentioned the 2150 high-z, I think I will go for that so I can grow into them instead of having to get new ones if (when) I chase more power. And at the moment, I am running the AEM v1 ECU.
For the ACT 2600 with a Southbend Kevlar disk, how is the feel on it? I know I mentioned possibly purchasing a twin disk, but I would prefer something a bit lighter and more daily driver friendly.

Your looking at two sets of big injectors and a way to control them if your planning to run E85 and make that kind of power (700) or more reliably, your also looking at T-4 turbo territory and supporting mods including GOOD rods, and GOOD (non shelf stock) pistons, and the same with cams, your also looking at all ARP fasteners, and a standalone with a good tune to control it all at minimum.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back