The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

4g64 Head Bolt Socket

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

August578

Proven Member
Jun 15, 2021
Eastvale, California
Hi this is my first time learning how to work on a car and when trying to remove the head I couldn't find a socket or which socket I needed to use. I also checked online but could not find it. Does anyone know what the 4g64 Head Bolt Socket and size is? Thanks.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I don’t know exactly the size you need either but yes you’re just looking for a 12 point socket. Maybe if your chrome socket is slipping you could try one like the attached photo. I used these all the time when I worked at the dealership.

If it’s still slipping, I’m afraid you’re going to have to resort to an extractor tool like this.

Is it just called 12 point socket? Because I had tried a 12 point spline socket set and it would bite pretty nicely but then slip.
well what size socket are you using? Those bolts look a little chewed up. Possibly somebody damaged them. My guess is 12 or 14mm. If you're using a standard thats for sure not it.

Usually they would use a 14mm on something like a head bolt. Usually the best way to tell if its too big is to put the socket on an extension put the socket on the bolt and wiggle it to feel the play of the socket on the bolt. The extension is just for getting in those tight places like inside of a head. If there is a lot of play you will know it. If 14mm feels loose then skip the 13mm which are rarely used I find, and go straight to a 12mm.

The typical bolt sizes you find used in metric based cars are 10,12,14,15,17. I just went and got a set of Harbor Freight 12 point metric 1/2in drive socket pack. Its just a line of sockets on a plastic holder. When putting head bolts back in you will definitely need a torque wrench.

The heads of the bolts dont look too chewed up however so if you use the proper size and some leverage like a breaker bar, they should come out. Definitely get new head bolts.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back