The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G 420A to Evo 8 Engine Swap?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'd like to do this to my rs but with the awd setup too. When I get my bonus I'm takin my rs to a shop and gonna see how much it'll cost.

yeah my brother gonna do the same thing.. but he doing it himself, now it actually gets realistic.. someone who has been working on DSM's since 1995 and has done the AWD to a GST before.. he just got a clean 98 GS for 1k gonna spend 3k on all the awd parts and motor. Well see..

yeah my brother gonna do the same thing.. but he doing it himself, now it actually gets realistic.. someone who has been working on DSM's since 1995 and has done the AWD to a GST before.. he just got a clean 98 GS for 1k gonna spend 3k on all the awd parts and motor. Well see..

If he is doing the evo 8 swap it gona cost more than 3 grand for awd parts and motor. Hell the motor bout that much unless he finds a really good deal on those parts. Now if evo parts where cheap then yea do the swap, but i don't think any swap is worth it if it gona end up costing more than the car u swapping from.

But here is something that everyone should consider. If you can't afford the actual car that you swapping parts from what make you think you can afford to repair those parts once they break. Hell it doesn't matter if you got an evo 8 engine in an eclipse it still gonna cost evo 8 money to fix if it break. Same for awd setup, and every other part you take from a donor car.

Not trying to discourage anybody and by all means go ahead with the swap because i too can appreciate different but sometimes you really need to be realistic.

If he is doing the evo 8 swap it gona cost more than 3 grand for awd parts and motor. Hell the motor bout that much unless he finds a really good deal on those parts. Now if evo parts where cheap then yea do the swap, but i don't think any swap is worth it if it gona end up costing more than the car u swapping from.

But here is something that everyone should consider. If you can't afford the actual car that you swapping parts from what make you think you can afford to repair those parts once they break. Hell it doesn't matter if you got an evo 8 engine in an eclipse it still gonna cost evo 8 money to fix if it break. Same for awd setup, and every other part you take from a donor car.

Not trying to discourage anybody and by all means go ahead with the swap because i too can appreciate different but sometimes you really need to be realistic.

Motor parts are similar in price from Evo to DSM, and the transmission rebuilds are less money.

It stands to reason that the 10+ year newer platform will be more reliable than the older 4g63, so it could be *cheaper* to maintain if done correctly. The parts are also physically newer, since the oldest Evo in the states is 2003.

Having $5k into a swap like this is much different than going out and spending $15-20k on an Evo.

Motor parts are similar in price from Evo to DSM, and the transmission rebuilds are less money.

It stands to reason that the 10+ year newer platform will be more reliable than the older 4g63, so it could be *cheaper* to maintain if done correctly. The parts are also physically newer, since the oldest Evo in the states is 2003.

Having $5k into a swap like this is much different than going out and spending $15-20k on an Evo.

But for $5k you could build the 420a or do the edz swap and turbo and have more power and less money into that than the evo swap. Also for a little more than $5k i sure rwd could be fabricated. It has been talked about for a while on 2gnt that its cheaper to do rwd. All in all if you just want the basic setup and keep it stock then yes a evo swap is a good option. But how long do people leave cars stock before they want more power. Just like in my previous statement it will cost more to maintain a modded evo motor and parts than other options that are available for the car. But ofcourse if you can fabricate this swap wouldn't cost as much. But i wouldn't pay nobody to do it knowing there are other options you could pay someone to do for less money.

Sorry to inform you but no 2g is a DSM its a physical impossibility. The collaboration dissolved in mid 94. ALL 2g were manufactured under Mitsubishi. I only have hate for people who mis inform others and go around saying things that are totally wrong and just stupid.

You can say what you will good sir but from your view, an eclipse is an eclipse and a talon is a talon. Years don't matter. And who cares if the colaboration was renamed to entirely Mitsubishi, if Chrystler wasn't still invloved, the talon would gave been discontinued in 95. So in my eyes, 2g's are most deffinetely still DSM's

But for $5k you could build the 420a or do the edz swap and turbo and have more power and less money into that than the evo swap. Also for a little more than $5k i sure rwd could be fabricated. It has been talked about for a while on 2gnt that its cheaper to do rwd. All in all if you just want the basic setup and keep it stock then yes a evo swap is a good option. But how long do people leave cars stock before they want more power. Just like in my previous statement it will cost more to maintain a modded evo motor and parts than other options that are available for the car. But ofcourse if you can fabricate this swap wouldn't cost as much. But i wouldn't pay nobody to do it knowing there are other options you could pay someone to do for less money.

You'd still be FWD, and on the street the AWD always wins. RWD isn't a viable option, you're not getting a built motor and a 4-link setup for $5k, and it's not "bolt-on".

How would a Mitsubishi stock Evo motor be less *reliable* than a forged-internals motor built by some shop. There are thousands of modded Evos on stock motors, that go for 10's of thousands of miles with no issues.

In addition, I guarantee you the Evo driveline trans holds up better under power than the stock FWD trans does. It's a matter of engineering, the FWD trans was designed for 150hp, the Evo trans was designed for 290hp. Do the math.

This is a silly argument, I'm going to build one of these out of spite now, hah!

You'd still be FWD, and on the street the AWD always wins. RWD isn't a viable option, you're not getting a built motor and a 4-link setup for $5k, and it's not "bolt-on".

How would a Mitsubishi stock Evo motor be less *reliable* than a forged-internals motor built by some shop. There are thousands of modded Evos on stock motors, that go for 10's of thousands of miles with no issues.

In addition, I guarantee you the Evo driveline trans holds up better under power than the stock FWD trans does. It's a matter of engineering, the FWD trans was designed for 150hp, the Evo trans was designed for 290hp. Do the math.

This is a silly argument, I'm going to build one of these out of spite now, hah!

If you did the evo swap you would still be fwd also. And where can you get a awd setup off an evo from for under 3k. An awd 420a has been done but it was automatic and used the setup out of a old dodge. I know the rwd setup isn't bolt on but neither is the evo swap either.

Where did i say a stock evo motor will be less reliable? I said that the evo swap would cost more than a built 420a or edz swap. By built i mean semi built, guess i should have specified. Ofcourse an evo motor would be more reliable. You are looking from a reliable aspect rather I looking at performance aspect. To me this swap is dumb if its not for performance. Its not worth it to just leave stock and be like i got a evo swap.

Yea ofcourse things were engineered certain ways but things push past there limits all the time. How many evos you see past 290hp on stock drivetrain or 420a eclipses. So they have been pushed past there limits before and are still running with no problems.

And rwd is done all the time to fwd cars. People drop v8 into the bodys of many fwd imports and i doubt they spend 10k on it. So the rwd conversion is not impossible just not done. But anyways like you said this argument is silly and i agree to disagree because people are gonna have different opinions.

Waste of time/money, Put that money into a 4g63 that falls right in. If this 97dsm character is so smart why did he fail to realize that a 2g is NOT a dsm, Never was never will be. If its so easy why dont you see them in vast numbers. Oh I forgot because our 4g63 can easily produce just as much if not more power for the same money or less and you wont have to modify anything to drop it in. I dont know about 2g cars I will be the first one to admit that but to say that dropping in a COMPLETELY different engine into a car is was not designed to fit in with little work seems a bit far fetched. Sounds like he is trying to play DR god I know it all its easy because I am just so freaking cool. Evo spec 4g's cost an arm and a leg and are not really easy to find. I can get regular old 4g's all day for 200-1000 bucks in running condition. I have never priced out evo 8 motors but I am sure they cost ne where from a few to several grand. I dont see the point of it honestly, Our 4g is just as good. Honda kids say the same crap I can just drop in this huge 2.2 liter engine in my little poop master crx with no mods. WRONG :ohdamn: They think that because of people who go and say how easy it is and give the wrong idea to people who have never transplanted any motor. You dont take something that was not meant to be dropped in and expect it to just fall in all hunky dorey with no issues at all. Thats second grade stuff you should know better. Square pegs dont go in round holes. Well unless you work the holy crap of it. Same thing hold true here, I wont take the advise of a kid who doesn't even know what a dsm is. :notgood: Oh and that car is not in the united states, So unless he is all down with the chi fong tong chitty chitty gang bang connection over in japan he is prob just blowing smoke.

WHat it's not!!!! You mean my 1995 talon tsi awd with dsm badging all over it inside the door jam's and under the hood isnt a dsm! Wrong 1995 was 2nd gen and the last year of dsm's .

its pretty funny how no 2g is a dsm? but i look under my friends 95 eagle talon tsi hood and i see a ####ing dsm sticker?

If you did the evo swap you would still be fwd also. And where can you get a awd setup off an evo from for under 3k. An awd 420a has been done but it was automatic and used the setup out of a old dodge. I know the rwd setup isn't bolt on but neither is the evo swap either.

Where did i say a stock evo motor will be less reliable? I said that the evo swap would cost more than a built 420a or edz swap. By built i mean semi built, guess i should have specified. Ofcourse an evo motor would be more reliable. You are looking from a reliable aspect rather I looking at performance aspect. To me this swap is dumb if its not for performance. Its not worth it to just leave stock and be like i got a evo swap.

Yea ofcourse things were engineered certain ways but things push past there limits all the time. How many evos you see past 290hp on stock drivetrain or 420a eclipses. So they have been pushed past there limits before and are still running with no problems.

And rwd is done all the time to fwd cars. People drop v8 into the bodys of many fwd imports and i doubt they spend 10k on it. So the rwd conversion is not impossible just not done. But anyways like you said this argument is silly and i agree to disagree because people are gonna have different opinions.

It wouldn't be cheaper to build and then turbo a 420a, then to get a full JDM evo swap (complete with all turbo parts).

The "AWD" part of the swap is easy, as I have a Spyder in my garage with the AWD subframe already in it (converting it now!).

I could do it in a day after swapping subframes a few times! The rear-end ratios just need to match from DSM/EVO, and that can be accomplished with changing ring/pinion if necessary.

Please don't talk like you know about things you really have no experience with. I *have* worked at a domestic performance shop, and I *know* how much it costs to "make a car V8/RWD", it's WAY more than $10k when you add in fabrication and all the parts. I've sold the chassis and engine/trans parts to customers already!

You're missing that the AWD/Evo conversion is much cheaper since it's all factory parts, and easily acquired, no "building" required!

There's a JDM evo engine/trans/diff/ecu setup on Ebay right now for $3200. That covers the cost of your "built" 420a motor, and it has most everything needed for the swap!

As I said, cheap!

My car was made in normal IL with a 94 build date.. In the DSM plant..

agreed, stamped 94, dsm badge in the bay, and im happy LOL..

but to the OP, if you have the time and money, then buy all means, its not mine or any one else's money do as you wish. Each and everyone of us has there "own" way and none are the "right" way. Still, i'll stick to my 4g63.

cool bumper btw, good airflow.

I think most people are failing to see is that, eventually these cars will be without PARTS. (how long I'm unsure of) I have been in touch with a local dealer, and day by day parts are being discountinued. The evo swap to the 2gnt is perfect to keep the 2gs alive. 1g's im not sure what to say. But as parts are falling off the manufactures list, and with no one like Year One, or someone to make parts, these cars WILL die out (enigine parts) They are just not popular enough. While being able to use the evo motor will keep these cars alive longer. Too many people I know have already sold their dsm's having heard the same info. Thats when I went to check it out for myself. As a matter of fact the hydrolic timing belt tensioners are next to be discountinued. This info came from a Mitsu dealer, take it for whats its worth.

I think most people are failing to see is that, eventually these cars will be without PARTS. (how long I'm unsure of) I have been in touch with a local dealer, and day by day parts are being discountinued. The evo swap to the 2gnt is perfect to keep the 2gs alive. 1g's im not sure what to say. But as parts are falling off the manufactures list, and with no one like Year One, or someone to make parts, these cars WILL die out (enigine parts) They are just not popular enough. While being able to use the evo motor will keep these cars alive longer. Too many people I know have already sold their dsm's having heard the same info. Thats when I went to check it out for myself. As a matter of fact the hydrolic timing belt tensioners are next to be discountinued. This info came from a Mitsu dealer, take it for whats its worth.

right i see your point, im calling daily for parts and with CAPS parts are coming up no longer available. Im all for making something work, i thinks its inventive but hey im happy with what ever works.

Back from the dead, but hopefully with useful info :)

For those who are interested, and actually want a useful response instead of the My 2g is a dsm! No it isn't! argument (which, btw, it is LOL, heres some info to help.

You do not have to use an Evo motor. For one that is cheaper, swap in a 2.4 from the eclipse. From a buddy's 3g, with numbers to back it up, it laid down over 440 ft/lbs, and almost 400 horses on an evo 9 turbo...this is while it was still a SOHC!

From here, you can use the SOHC head, or do a head swap to the evo head or the hyundai head, both bolt on and are DOHC. As for the trans, if you stick with the 2.4, you can just use the 3g eclipse or galant transmissions. They will require modifications to the axles, or completely custom axles (still looking), but why not pay for an upgrade (axles) instead of spending the money to use the 420a trans with a custom bell housing. The other axle option that we are experimenting with is using the inner portion of the halfshaft from the 3g/Galant with the outer splined portion from the 2g. The measurements we have so far is that it will work, but it still has to be real world tested to make sure they fit.

And finally, I love how everyone says the swap is pointless because you could put your money into just turbo'ing the 420a, and that may be somewhat true. But with the swap I'm referring to you get a 2.4 instead of a 2.0. A block that can hold good street horsepower, while giving added torque, while having a motor with newer technology to assist with tuning/reliability. I dont see this as a pointless swap as the 2g guys have to run megasquirt to even have an engine management system worth anything. With this, you can run the 3g/evo ecu and run evoscan (free) to tune with. While having prices similar to so:

U-Pull-It pricing:
Long block - 125
Wiring harness - 50
Trans - 60
Accessories - 40
ECU - 50

Evom.net Prices:
Turbo, Mani, 02 housing - 350
Injectors (560) - 100

Everything else thats not really listed here, is something you'd have to swap for a turbo swap anyways, ie - Clutch, Fuel Pump, Boost Gauges, Boost Controller...blah blah blah. I know you have to figure out wiring with the swaps, but the cost is no way more expensive than boosting your 420a, and gives good reliability to boot. Just more to think about for those who may be interested!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back