The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A 420A No start, spark on 2 and 3 only | video

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickolision

Proven Member
Dec 5, 2020
Sacramento, California
Hey guys! Going to spread as much info as I can, so I decided to make a video.

Little run down, went for an average drive and after completing a left turn the car begins to buck and the engine light as well as the battery light flashes on simutanouesly. Pulled over to a open area on the road and just shut the car off. No weird noises or sounds or even smoke or smells. Just died and won't turn on again! This car never had problems with starting before as this was the LAST things I would ever think of happening.

I've done my fair bit of research, but no one seems to have a conclusion, or solutions.

Feel free to comment or leave any suggestions on what I should look into to make my car start!

Just want to enjoy it! Thanks guys

Link to the video:
420a no spark on cylinder 1 and 4, cranks but no start

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

its probably a bad 1/4 coil on your coil pack.

Attachments

• 420a_ignition.pdf
    848.5 KB · Views: 30
what the f*** is that pikachu doing under your car?

catch that little bi*** and sell it so you can buy some lowing springs.

Hey dusty! Thanks for responding, and that was all my little bro, I was talking about painting my car yellow LOL I have free tein coilovers ready to put on just have to fix a couple engine issues first

For the coil pack, I have 5x both oem and rockauto replacements, all have the correct resistance according to the manual. Every coil pack gave the same result with no pulse signal from black/blue or pin 3 on the connector

Leaning towards another ecu at best, but I've done 3x ecu both same year and transmission

If the car isnt pulsing a signal at one of the wires, what else would you think it possibly is? Besides the obvious solutions (crank/cam sensor/asd relay etc)

have you checked the wire from the coil to the ecu. The wires don't play nice with the EGR tube. They like to melt together

and your harness is a stock 97? cause on a 97 it goes to ecu pin 2
but on a 98/99 it goes to ecu pin 11

so if you have a 98/99 harness you would want the matching ecu or you could swap pins on the ecu connector

Yes the pin 2 is the black and blue
It's a 96-97 harness it's black connector

For the wires, we'll I've done every wire from solder, heatshrink, and wrapped. Continuity is great, so I know for SURE it's not electrical

Do you know what gives the pulse signals to the coil?

Here are also some videos and pictures I attached including the attempting to start

thats a kick ass job on the wiring. it looks like something i would do. What tape did you wrap the harness with, it doesn't look like tesa tape.

so this will be looking at the coil pack pins
( = = = )
1 2 3
(+) voltage flows from the ASD relay to pin 2 on the coil pack
the ecu provides a ground for the coils
pin 1 is for coils 2/3
pin 3 is for 1/4

i don't know if you have a copy of fhe factory service manual but you can get a copy from
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/5k14qlaulb9s1/dsm_mitsubishi

there are a few pages where the scan of the page is fuct up. i have the manuals in print so if you can't read something, just hit me up and i can get a picture for you.
here is a list of pinouts i made incase you need threm.

Yeah that's called friction tape, I got it from Lowes if you have one near you or you can get it any hardware store like $4
I use the same for when I make lights

But thanks Dusty! I'll do more research on the circuts, and I'll report back to this thread if I found any more solutions. I stopped buying parts since that approach is useless with no diagnostics

Appreciate it brotha :hellyeah:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back