1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G 3g shifter in 1g

Posted by awd4g63turbo, Mar 25, 2019

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing
  1. awd4g63turbo

awd4g63turbo Proven Member

Joined Sep 3, 2007
    Greenville, North Carolina
    After finally getting the 3g shifter installed in my 1g, I'm now trying to get the wiring figured out. I have the forced four smart 100 that I am wanting to use in triptronic mode. I know that the purple wire from the shift box is up-shift, and the white/purple wire from the shift box is down-shift.... just trying to figure out where they need to connect on the shifter side.
    Every swap I have read up on was someone doing the swap with a auto harness car, but I am wiring the shift box in without a tcu, using my manual harness. If I overlooked a thread please point me in the right direction . Thanks

Street Build 3K  12

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM
  2. Lilslmj

Lilslmj Proven Member

Joined Feb 8, 2018
    Berwick, Pennsylvania
    Not sure if you figured this out yet or not but I have pictures on my phone from when I wired mine up. I have it wired so that when you put it in drive it runs off the TCU and shifts like normal but when you switch the shifter over to tiptronic it turns the shift box on and you can bang thru the gears. Lmk if you need wiring info

Street Build 553  2

1999 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM
    Chumpaumpalumpa likes this.
  3. Chumpaumpalumpa

Chumpaumpalumpa Proven Member

Joined Jun 16, 2014
    La Habra, California
    Please post wiring info and pics that would be immensely helpful!

Street Build 4K  22

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  4. awd4g63turbo

Joined Sep 3, 2007
    Yea, I got everything figured out with the wiring. Just have to get time to finish up a few things..

Street Build 3K  12

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM
  5. OH91awd

OH91awd Proven Member

Joined Sep 22, 2011
    chillicothe, Ohio
    heres the wires that i used when i wired my 3g shifter to the shiftbox

Black wire/ orange tracer is a ground

White wire/ red tracer goes to shift box purple wire

Black wire/ yellow tracer goes the shift box white wire purple

Drag Race Build 2K  17

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    10.89 @ 125.67 · 1G DSM
  6. rEclipserGST

rEclipserGST Proven Member

Joined Nov 17, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Is there lag when using the shifter? I have noticed lag when using the shiftbox.

Is there a way to remedy that?

Street Build 641  25

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    187 whp · 200 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  7. OH91awd

OH91awd Proven Member

Joined Sep 22, 2011
    chillicothe, Ohio
    time shifts to accommodate the delay or add a shift light other than that theres not a way to fix it.

Drag Race Build 2K  17

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    10.89 @ 125.67 · 1G DSM
    rEclipserGST likes this.
  8. awd4g63turbo

Joined Sep 3, 2007
    Forgot to update. I got everything up and running on a stock converter/trans while I was waiting on my other trans to get built, and my other convertor back from Bradco. Decided to try the shift box out to see what the "auto craze" was all about. I must say, I like it.

I knew it wouldn't stall up to launch, so I just rolled out and made a quick pull. With the built trans and Bradco converter I think it will be a blast...

Street Build 3K  12

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM
  9. Lilslmj

Lilslmj Proven Member

Joined Feb 8, 2018
    Berwick, Pennsylvania
    Autos are much more fun then a lot of ppl think especially when built, stalled, and a shift box. I have just as much fun in my built awd auto spyder then I did in my old 5 spd spyder. Launching at 20psi with no worries of breaking stuff makes it all the more enjoyable.

Street Build 553  2

1999 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM