The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

2G 3000Gt rear end

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bizarre

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 23, 2005
Milton, Ontario_Canada
Hey guys just wondering if anyone has any experience with a 3000gt rear end in a dsm?
I’m thinking of putting a 3k rear end in my 2G(yes I know I need a subframe, Axles, driveshaft ect...)
One thing I don’t know is what 2nd piece of the driveshaft do I use the smaller one between rear end/aluminum driveshaft do you have to use? Stock or do I have to get one made?
Does anyone know if the big boys in the dsm world are breaking these yet? Any information that anyone knows would be much appreciated.

Maybe @Boostin Performance can chime in on this. How has the 3k rear end been on the demon?

Thanks

What kind of options are there for limited slip differential wise for the 3000gt rear ends? Besides the gear strength, how can you effectively transfer the power? Viscous slips and every little bit of traction counts in the quarter mile. Any thoughts?

The viscous has been working fine for drag. I’ve seen 1.3’s with the stock diff.

The biggest problem with these cars is getting the front to hook on a launch.

Thanks @donniekak
Any idea about the 2nd piece of the driveshaft what would I do there?
That’s some good 60’ times so I guess you can say 3k rear end is a good upgrade?

I'm not aware of anyone breaking that rearend yet. Seems to be strong enough for some pretty high HP. As well, most 3/S guys don't break them either. I'd say the biggest downfall with that rearend is availability.
My buddy ran 9’s with a rwd ls 5.3 turbo setup in his 3000. The axles started breaking but the rear end was fine.

I guess the question here is, why is the 3000gt rear diff indestructible? What size is the ring gear, is it bigger than the 1g and 2g ring gear?
Yup, larger ring gear, pinion gear, housing, diff, etc... And it's easy to fit in a DSM too. Not enormous like some of the rearends in the new V8 cars.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back