The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

3000gt Vr4 rear in 1g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daplatano91

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 7, 2009
brooklyn, New_York
Ok So I've been doing some reading and research on what alot of the faster dsms are using as far as the AWd rear is concerned. Ive seen some guys opting out and fabing up ford solid rears and also that English runs a 3000gt rear in they're auto 1g. My question is what needs to be done to get a vr4 rear to work in a 1g and why aren't more people going this route to upgrade they're diff?

Yeah thats what I was leaning towards as well. But still I have never seen a 3000 gt rear out of the car. Does anyone know the physical differences between the two. And what would need to be done to install one. Maybe even do a write up on the full conversion....:pray: I know I might be asking for much but even a picture of what the diff looks like mounted and unmounted would be enough for me to get an idea of what needs to be done. I just want to know what I should expect before going to the junk yard and striping down a vr4.

The 3KGT VR4 rear bolts into a 1G & GVR4. It will push the wheels out because the it's a little wider than the your car by about 2-3 inches. Trying to find one is hard.

Does any year of rear end swap in? What about gear ratios? And I assume they are LSD, no?

This is definately a new possiblity for my car.

The 3KGT VR4 rear bolts into a 1G & GVR4. It will push the wheels out because the it's a little wider than the your car by about 2-3 inches. Trying to find one is hard.

ROFL There are like 6 1st gen vr-4s/stealth awd tt on a local yard. No one around here will touch them with a 10 foot stick because they are a pain in the ass to work on, and expensive. They actually have more 3/S cars than DSMs..... There are about 10-12 out there and most are only missing front bumpers and possible headlight/hoods.

You sir know just what to say to make my car all tingly inside. Vr4 rear will be in this weekend. As for gear ratios 5 speed guys need a 91-93 rear and autos need a 94-99. This is based on info from stealth316 site and our good old vfaq. Feel free to correct me and both sites if I'm wrong.
Thanks again

Last edited:
What are the benefits of doing this?

I was looking at a 8.8 rear which is the IDEAL way to go but this has me curious..

On a side note, wheels sticking out 2-3"s is a MAJOR deal.. I'd assume they were cut down or someone found some better back spacing?

What about the driveshaft? Is a custom shaft required? As in, does the diff move forward or back or have a different bolt pattern on it?

What's the point? Is it lighter? I haven't heard of any auto's that break the rear, only x-fer cases. You have to be making tons of power to do that.

I LOL'd SO HARD at this WHOLE thread hahahahaha. the amount of wrong information on just thiis single thread blows my mind and i don't know what to do while scrapping it off the wall other then luagh at the stupidity LOLoLOLLOLol

I LOL'd SO HARD at this WHOLE thread hahahahaha. the amount of wrong information on just thiis single thread blows my mind and i don't know what to do while scrapping it off the wall other then luagh at the stupidity LOLoLOLLOLol

WEll, instead of making fun of others why not share some actual truth, knowledge or information about why it's stupid, what IS gained, what ISN'T gained and so forth. Belittling others may make you feel good but adds nothing of content to the thread.

So please enlighten us. I too wonder what the benefits may be, or what it may hold over our DSM rear ends

only thing that made me laugh was the 2-3 inches in rear wheel base that the diff added...only way that could happen is if you used the whole 3\S rear subframe...which good luck with that by the way haha.. Your hubs are fixed, and should not move in or out. only-thing that should change is them going up and down, and the angle (Camber). if they are moving in and out then you have something else seriously wrong.

Now i could understand if someone would have said you would have had to widen your rear end to run X diff with X axles.

I'm sure you'd run into other problems before you'd see those extra 2-3 inches in wheel base.

if you want a Wider wheel base, try different offset\Width wheels with some spacers.

But is the Diff alone any real upgrade and is it because of the housing or the actual internals? that's my interest, not wheel base, or anything like that. I'm a fab guy, shit like that can't sscare me, i have plasma cutters, torches, MIG/TIG and ARC setups.. i make things fit that say "NO" :D

Thanks for some clarification!

I honestly couldn't tell you, I've seen some pretty high HP on stock 3\S Drive-trains with out braking things, but a big part of that is they are reinforced alot better then the DSM's. Example steel brackets that bolt to the trans and block connecting the two, and steel brackets for transfer case, etc. I would imagine the stock 3\S diff to be much stronger. but that's just me.

Doesn't the 3/s have a longer final drive? if so wouldn't that be the only real upgrade is top end? pretty much a top end that we really won't ever have to worry about?

the gears are long as sin in a vr4 thats the only benefit. at 120 and 130 across the line in a 1/4 mile i was still in 3rd just about to go to 4th gear.

the gears are long as sin in a vr4 thats the only benefit. at 120 and 130 across the line in a 1/4 mile i was still in 3rd just about to go to 4th gear.

This is exactly why I miss my VR4.

You can get 1 just as cheap and just as beat as a dsm right now. Only problem is parts are a lot more expensive

But is the Diff alone any real upgrade and is it because of the housing or the actual internals? that's my interest, not wheel base, or anything like that. I'm a fab guy, shit like that can't sscare me, i have plasma cutters, torches, MIG/TIG and ARC setups.. i make things fit that say "NO" :D

Thanks for some clarification!

I kind of spoke with Devin (Quickest 35r 2g) yesterday, I believe he is planning on going with a 3kgt rear end this off season. I remember him saying something along the lines that the internals are substantially larger then a DSMs. He sat both housings side by side and its obvious, it looks like a dang tank! You would have to talk to him to get specifics, I just wanted to throw this out there.. Hope it kind of helps.

Gearing is defined by the transmission. It was already mentioned in this thread that the rear gearing in the 3S diff is the same as a DSM auto's. I still haven't seen anyone post any REAL info on why the 3S diff is better than stock.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back