The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

420A 2gNT Factory flywheel lighter than aftermarket?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zidane5285

Probationary Member
Apr 5, 2005
Loganville, Georgia
alright so i took my engine out about a week ago, tearin it down and rebuilding it, replacing the clutch while its out, it still has the factory clutch in it and the factory flywheel (never been replaced before), well an aftermaret flwheel as far as i know weighs about 8 pounds am i right? and is suposed to be lighter than stock, well the one i pulled out of my car is lighter than that, i havnt weaighed it yet but i know it is because my laptop is 8 pounds, and its nothing compared to my laptop, is this normal? so why in the heck would i put a heavyer flywheel in my car? :confused:

zidane5285 said:
alright so i took my engine out about a week ago, tearin it down and rebuilding it, replacing the clutch while its out, it still has the factory clutch in it and the factory flywheel (never been replaced before), well an aftermaret flwheel as far as i know weighs about 8 pounds am i right? and is suposed to be lighter than stock, well the one i pulled out of my car is lighter than that, i havnt weaighed it yet but i know it is because my laptop is 8 pounds, and its nothing compared to my laptop, is this normal? so why in the heck would i put a heavyer flywheel in my car? :confused:

Sounds to me like your flywheel and clutch have been replaced.

Stock 420a cars use a modular clutch assembly...that is to say, it's one piece. Flywheel and all. If yours are seperate, it already had aftermarket parts.

alright cool, that i didn't know, i weighed it today its 3 pounds 1 ounces, that sounds pretty light for a flywheel, the clutch that came out of it has "SACHS" printed on it, and "TYPE 228", anyone know anything about that? i posted pics.

Attachments

• 100_0337.jpg
    100_0337.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 645
  • 100_0335.jpg
    100_0335.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 660
  • 100_0336.jpg
    100_0336.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 657
oh yea and i forgot to add in a comment for suicidal2af's responce, the clutch and pressure plate are stuck together, they dont come apart, but the flywheel as you can see does come off.

well I'm not trying to start an argument but that is the flywheel, I'm not really sure what the heck your talking about "ring gear carrier" but that is a flywheel, I'm not a clutch assembly expert or anything but to my knowledge, one of the flywheels main purposes besides the fact that the clutch presses againsts it, is for the starter, hints the teeth on the flywheel, and as far as the clutch goes, the only thing there is, is a pressure plate and clutch disc. so yep thatd be the flywheel

the flywheel has everything to do with the clutch its what transfers power to the clutch. the main purpose of hte flywheel to keep the mometum of the engine going between cumbustion strokes. the fact that it has the starter teeth is a plus.

i didnt say it didnt have anything to do with the clutch, i said "one" of the main purposes of the flywheel is to start the engine, im just trying to prove a point with Defiant that it is a flywheel, i meen cmon just look at it, ITS A FLYWHEEL.

yep... Def's right again... big suprise.

please show me on your rusty ring gear carrier where the friction surface for the clutch disc is...

or better yet turn over that PP DISC FLYWHEEL assembly and show me that the clutch disc is visible and just sitting there...

the disc is sandwiched between the Flywheel/ friction surface and the PP. that is how it works. if the disc isn't sitting there then the flywheel is part of that assembly.
Get it?
in your case the ring gear part and the fly wheel come apart and the flywheel friction surface stays with the PP and disc.

to find out your true rotating flywheel weight you have to get the "friction surface" out and weigh it also

zidane5285 said:
well I'm not trying to start an argument but that is the flywheel, I'm not really sure what the heck your talking about "ring gear carrier" but that is a flywheel, I'm not a clutch assembly expert or anything but to my knowledge, one of the flywheels main purposes besides the fact that the clutch presses againsts it, is for the starter, hints the teeth on the flywheel, and as far as the clutch goes, the only thing there is, is a pressure plate and clutch disc. so yep thatd be the flywheel

Try again. The flywheel's main purpose is to connect the crankshaft to the clutch assembly, which in turn makes the transmission spin, which in turn makes the wheels turn.

Which is what makes your automobile drive.

the plate is called a flexplate same as an auto and the flywheel cluch and pp are one modular pice

Anyplace you would buy a clutch for a 420A from, the unit is sold as 1 piece. You cant really separate the clutch from the flywheel in the 420A. When one is replaced, they both get replaced. You can still get lightened parts but the entire assembly (clutch/ flywheel) would be one piece, just lighter. The only purpose that plate has is for starting the engine.

the plate with the ring gear is the "Drive Plate"... thats straight from the mistubishi tech manual. If you look at your last picture, the piece on the right is your pressure plate, clutch disc, and flywheel in one package. the piece on the left is the drive plate with the ring gear for the starter. the four bolts that you remove from the drive plate to remove the transmission bolt your flywheel to the drive plate. the modular clutch (press. plate, clutch disc, flywheel) aren't servicable and have to be replaced as a unit. the advantage to a modular clutch is instead of the flywheel being attached to the crank, it comes out with the clutch, so when it comes time to replace, theres no painfull aligning of the clutch disc with the transmission shaft.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back