The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2gb talon rear quarter glass anomaly

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Why? Thats the only spoiler that looks good on a 2g DSM! Plus that glass was only found on 97's and a handful of 98's. The only way you'll find it without is if someone took the wing off. Which I don't see why anyone would do that, 2gb Talon body is the best of the DSM's.

I agree, I'd take the 2gb Talon over my 2gb Eclipse.

...I think they are absolutely beautiful...when i saw them on the TSi i was going to look at, i freaked. They are my fav part of the DSM

Hey fellas. I've been reading this thread and others like it on the Internet. I have a 97 Talon with the window anomaly.

Realizing how very rare the 2Gb (Model year 97/98) AWD Talons are, I've decided to start a database with the aim of keeping basic configuration and status/location information on them.

I wrote a little script to parse the CAPS database (SHARYO.IDX) and harvest all the possible 2Gb AWD VINs. Total was 2545 VINs, however not all of them have a physical car associated with them (ie, crash-test cars, museum/archive cars, manufacturing errors, etc).

The regular expression to find only the VINs I wanted:
4E3AL54F[0-9X][V-W]E[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]

If anyone owns, used to own, or knows the whereabouts of ANY 97/98 Talon AWD cars, please submit the VIN number(s), original paint codes, mileage, condition, and any other info you can find to the database!

Only PUBLIC knowledge is required, you DON'T have to give your name, email, etc. if you don't want to. All the information being requested, except for your comments, is already publicly available via Mitsubishi CAPS, Carfax, etc.

Click this link to submit a 2Gb AWD Talon VIN and any facts and figures you know about it:
http://goo.gl/CNNw4

Click this link to see the results:
http://goo.gl/ZkH0z

Thanks!
Jesse

The pic below is of my buddy's 99 Eclipse OZ rally. It has the smaller window but no molding around it. There is another one that sits in the parking lot at school that has the same windows with no moldings as well.

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    49 KB · Views: 520
The pic below is of my buddy's 99 Eclipse OZ rally. It has the smaller window but no molding around it. There is another one that sits in the parking lot at school that has the same windows with no moldings as well.

That's on cars with production date 1998.06.1 and on (MR447531 and MR447532).

Hey fellas. I've been reading this thread and others like it on the Internet. I have a 97 Talon with the window anomaly.

Realizing how very rare the 2Gb (Model year 97/98) AWD Talons are, I've decided to start a database with the aim of keeping basic configuration and status/location information on them.

I wrote a little script to parse the CAPS database (SHARYO.IDX) and harvest all the possible 2Gb AWD VINs. Total was 2545 VINs, however not all of them have a physical car associated with them (ie, crash-test cars, museum/archive cars, manufacturing errors, etc).

If anyone owns, used to own, or knows the whereabouts of ANY 97/98 Talon AWD cars, please submit the VIN number(s), original paint codes, mileage, condition, and any other info you can find to the database!

Only PUBLIC knowledge is required, you DON'T have to give your name, email, etc. if you don't want to. All the information being requested, except for your comments, is already publicly available via Mitsubishi CAPS, Carfax, etc.

Click this link to submit a 2Gb AWD Talon VIN and any facts and figures you know about it:

Click this link to see the raw data:
https://goo.gl/t4iPNU

Click this link to see graphic representations of the data:

Thanks!
Jesse

Database still up and running! Whenever you see a 2Gb AWD Talon, grab the VIN and whether it has a sunroof, ABS, and LSD or not; and then fill out the form!

According to the May 1999 release of the 97-99 Chrysler parts catalog these were on all Talons built BEFORE 1-1-97. And reverted back to the pointed ones after 1-1-97 with explanation as to why.

Total Eagle Talon Production for 1997 was 10,206* units. If you want to Average it out.

About 850 Talons built per month. Figure 5 months from Aug-Dec is about 4200 97 Talons with curved 1/4 windows.

If you split the entire Production run of 10,206 unit between 50 states that is around 204 units per state NOT counting Exports when they were new.

*Source MMC and Chrysler Corporation.

If the 12/31/96 cutoff date is correct, then that means there are no more than 550 AWD 2Gb Talons that came with this alternate glass from the factory! I have 6 pre-1/1/97 cars in my database whose owners have confirmed those cars did NOT come with the anomaly.

My non-sunroof November of 96 TSi AWD doesn't have the weird quarter window trim. I think that destroys 2 of the theories.

My January of 98 Esi doesn't have them either.

In fact, I've never seen these windows on ANY Eagle Talon's in Canada. Maybe it's a US only thing.

Last edited:
I just added my 2g awd to your list. No glass anomaly. Build date of March 1997.

R.I.P. 4E3AL54F8VE176837 (1997, Radiant Red, Automatic, Tan Leather, sunroof).

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Back in 2013, I pulled insurance total-loss data on all the USDM red and black cars. This car showed TWO total-loss claims within four months of each other, and now it just showed up in a Wisconsin junkyard with 96406 miles on it. It was a rare one - only seven red automatics with tan leather, all are USDM cars, one 98 and six 97s. This one and four others are option code G73, one is a G70, and one is a G75.

Last edited:
Regarding the quarter glass anomaly:

I just contacted over 30 junkyards that show they have pre-1/1/97 Talons. Out of 7 that have responded, 5 sent me pictures of the cars and the glass is NOT the anomaly. I found a black ESi in a junkyard that has the anomaly, and I am waiting to hear back from them on whether they actually still have the car or not. UPDATE: They do, but one side is damaged, someone tried to separate the glass and rubber.

So, I now know of sixteen pre-97 2Gb Talons that DON'T have the anomalous glass, and ten (confirmed, with VIN) that do.

I found a second junkyard ESi with the special quarter glass. I'm the new owner of that glass set as of 10 minutes ago :)

Last edited:
For posterity. My car with the special glass, one of the first 70 2Gb AWDs built. Build date July 1996, Week 3 of 3.

I just pulled out my 97 talon sales brochure and all exterior pics shown in the book have the glass anomaly on them.

1997 tsi FWD hard top. Sorry no vin, the exhaust manifold and turbo were covered in red rtv and he wouldn't budge from $4700 so I passed on it. It was nearly the exact car I wanted though, if it would have had the 17 inch wheels I would own it. All things happen for a reason I got my dream dsm about a year and a half later at about half the price of this one

Last edited:

Click this link to see the results:

Thanks!
Jesse
I registered Gracey

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back