The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2gb talon rear quarter glass anomaly

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Your talking about those exact quarter windows right? Not the windows you and I have....

No, I'm talking about the ones you and I have, those are $150 each. The ones in the picture are not available anywhere, I've checked, I even used to have the part number for it, since it was different that the regular quarter windows, but I couldn't find a pair.

Oh ok. Yeah the ones I pictured is what I'd love to make something... Maybe like some fiberglassing I could get it done. but I dont trust my fiberglassing skills enough to make something like that.

Even if you fiberglass it, how are you going to make it stick to the window? You will eventually have a fiberglass piece in front of your existing trim.

Well, it wouldn't stick to the window... but yeah you'd have to fiberglass it over the window trim... I wont do it, cause I would be too scared to screw it up. If I had my parts car, I'd try it out.

Well, it wouldn't stick to the window... but yeah you'd have to fiberglass it over the window trim... I wont do it, cause I would be too scared to screw it up. If I had my parts car, I'd try it out.

The window trim is made of some kind of high density rubber. If you do figure it out and make some, PM me, I'll buy a pair. :thumb:

You could just get sheet plastic, from here - http://www.plasticboards.com/viewproduct.php?id=8

Cut that shape, stick it with some double sided tape and paint it black or just leave the grainy plastic. It'll look something like the second pic on our cars, but all blacked out.

Attachments

• NEW-2.bmp
    66.7 KB · Views: 740
  • 100_0792.jpg
    100_0792.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 876
Never knew the side window covers on talons were so hard to come by, both of my talons have them. I though it was just something unique on 97 talons.

Instead of making a set of molds and trying to fiberglass them onto the body (window frames flex, cracks will follow) why not buy a set of molds that are already made for the talons and eclipses. http://www.autobarn.net/auvesiwico.html Their not perfect, but if you really wanted to copy the look, just cut off the lower front portion and stick them on. There are other window covers for eclipses and talons, just look for them, maybe save yourself some time from making a mold that already exists.

Here are some more pics that belong to SnoopySLR. As you can see, it is a one piece trim/quarter window.

Attachments

• 7-13-05Passanger.jpg
    7-13-05Passanger.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,130
  • 7-13-05FrontDriver.jpg
    7-13-05FrontDriver.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,049
And btw, the thread that me and Defiant were searching was merged with another thread. After about an hour of searching, I found it.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94885

It starts from post # 24 - 2gb talon rear quarter glass anomaly.

And another thread...

"It is infact a factory part. It was part of the body change (2gb) for early 97 talons. I didnt write down the date for when they stoped putting them on, but it was listed. it was in production for half maybe less of the 97 models

This is a window molding, but it is orderd with the quarter window its self. Its described as being a glossy black.

It does have a part number.
Right side: MR221668
Left side: MR221667
It specificly stated this part number was for early production 97 models

The number was un availible for 98's.
Bad part is that they are no longer available. OBV
The system told me to use the new number with is MB881947 witch is the normal quater window.

If some 98 modles ended up with this style window it may be because when eagle was going out of buisness they had extras never used they slaped on and gave the remaining normal quaters to mitsu cars. or so my theory goes.

hope this settles the case.

- Alex, Parts Advisor for Central Mitsubishi in Rynham, MA."

Post # 47. http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141753

I have been comparing my new car with pictures of other Eagle Talons out there, and I have noticed that my car is the only one that has this quarter window design:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Has anyone ever seen this before? Instead of the full quarter glass being visible, there is a bezel there.

Just trying to figure out the history of this car I just bought. Thanks!

Whoa! Never really seen that before.. looks pretty good though.

Do you still have the original MSRP price sheet thing? Maybe it was an option or something.

Ah, thank you!

Drift SM said:
Got it.

It is infact a factory part. It was part of the body change (2gb) for early 97 talons. I didnt write down the date for when they stoped putting them on, but it was listed. it was in production for half maybe less of the 97 models

This is a window molding, but it is orderd with the quarter window its self. Its described as being a glossy black.

It does have a part number. Right side: MR221668
Left side: MR221667
It specificly stated this part number was for early production 97 models

The number was un availible for 98's.
Bad part is that they are no longer available. OBV
The system told me to use the new number with is MB881947 witch is the normal quater window.

If some 98 modles ended up with this style window it may be because when eagle was going out of buisness they had extras never used they slaped on and gave the remaining normal quaters to mitsu cars. or so my theory goes.

hope this settles the case.

- Alex, Parts Advisor for Central Mitsubishi in Rynham, MA.

That solves that! It's just an uncommon thing that came with some percentage of '97 Talons. Good to know I have a sort of rare car?

Just found out that it came on all Talons with build dates of between 7/96 and 11/96.

These windows do still exist and I just bought a set. You can get them from Old Dominion Glass out of Richmond, Va (804-264-2755). They cost me about $175.00 per side.

Left side p/n FQ20160GTY
right side p/n FQ20161GTY

Will post pics up when I get them installed.

Just found out that it came on all Talons with build dates of between 7/96 and 11/96.

That would leave them only found on 97's right? Cause from what people said in the past, there were a few, a VERY VERY VERY few found on 98's.

Post Pictures, since you said you bought a pair.

I will post pics tonight or tomorrow but they wont be installed on the car until Saturday.

Yeah, according to the Jeep and Dodge dealers nearby, there is no listing or notes about this on the 98 cars but the 97's have the part number for the normal glass with a supersession note about the "glossy blackout" on this window.

I got the VIN off a car listed on autotrader and had this glass in it and called my guy at Dodge. He looked up the part number listed for that particular car window by VIN and told me the build date for that assigned window glass.

I just called that place, and an older lady just told me that she just ordered them for a Rusty at some business... I forgot what she said the business was. But she said she could not give me a price on those, cause that Rusty guy would have to be the one giving me his price.

Could you explain this Lenn?

Rusty is my service manager who orders all our aftermarket windshields from them (he handles all insurance glass claims).

Mooers Volvo is the name of the buisness that they went to (where I work).

So could they not order them for you... I told them to get more in stock.

Well I just called them and as of 5:04pm they are closed. I will call in the morning and find out what the deal is but that is where I got mine from. I have taken pics, I will post when I get home. I get off work at 6:00.

According to Rusty... they dont sell to the public but any glass company near you can call them and get them. Sorry, I didnt know that little detail.

Rusty is my service manager who orders all our aftermarket windshields from them (he handles all insurance glass claims).

Mooers Volvo is the name of the buisness that they went to.

So could they not order them for you... I told them to get more in stock.

The old lady said Rusty is the only that can give me a price... And yeah, your right on the Volvo. I wasn't too sure thats what she said. But she said that she can not give me a price. If I wanted a set I would have to order them through Rusty. Are these aftermarket OEM Windows? Cause I was under the impression that Mitsubishi discontinued them.

Well I just called them and as of 5:04pm they are closed. I will call in the morning and find out what the deal is but that is where I got mine from. I have taken pics, I will post when I get home. I get off work at 6:00

So another hour and a half?

Yeah... I will post them up but you can order them from any glass place near you, not just us.

Apparently, they are a wholesaler and only sell to retailers.

The stampings on them on the corner of the glass are:

E2 43R-000711
PPG TINT HERCULITE
SOLID TEMPERED
AS2 26 6
DOT18 M504

But... they came in a Chrysler "safeguard" stamped box with a Mopar sticker with the MR221667 part#

The windows came in two seperate thin boxes...
The one box has the stamp on it but the other one was cut lower so I dont know if it may have used to have the label on it.

That p/n was for the left side.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back