The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 2g with 1g 4g63 6 bolt swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvolDSM

Probationary Member
Nov 14, 2020
milford, New_Hampshire
Hi im pretty new to dsm's i recently picked up a 2g with a 1g swap in it. Its an awd 5 speed, after doing some research i plan on replacing all the vac lines,fuel lines, main seals, gaskets that i possibly can. At this point im wondering before adding power should i just do a full rebuild on the engine meaning replacing all bearings rings and valve springs and guides

What year is the harness your friend has? You want to make sure you get the right adapter harness to match with this harness and to match the CAS you have.

The OHM adapter harness is doing everything that the Magnus article is telling you to do, as far as connecting the harness to the sensors goes. So with the adapter harness, you shouldn't need to do anything else there.

Whether you need to mess with the firing order or injector wiring has to do with the year of ECU. This has been covered many, many times before. You said it's a black box unit which means it will be fine with the 1G CAS that you have. No changing injector wiring or firing order required.

okay thank you brian so i dont need to mess with any of the pins in the ecu connection? its a 96 harness and yes im running a black box atm im sorry if im asking questions that have been covered ill try and take a look more into it as well i just want to make sure everything is right so i dont mess up my car or send another dsm to the part out also im trying to do most of it out of shop so its kinda a learning experience.

Last edited:
What’s an umbrella seal? Valve seals?

It's a type of valve stem seal. Had nothing to do with old guys or young guys. They are still used in cars produced today.

There are two types of stem seals.
Umbrella (also called "deflector" type) and positive type.
Umbrella moves with the valve and positive is designed to attach to the valve guide boss and functions as a squeegee.

Again, it has to do with what ECU you are using. Since the 1998-1999 black box ECU is normally mated with a CAS on the passenger side of the head, using a 1G CAS instead is not going to affect anything else.

If the harness is a '96, you're going to want to choose the '95-'96 option on OHM's website for the adapter. This will not only have the correct connector to mate up with the harness, but will also have adequate length to reach from the original connecting location for the CAS behind the cam gear and bring it across the length of the head for the 1G CAS that will be on the passenger side.

Its ok we all learn sometimes, its good to ask questions thats why, were here, i remember i had a lot of questions when i did my first non turbo swap.

now i need to figure out how to use a logger or get a cord to make sure my timing advance is set right.

someone cut out the OBD port...or i just dont have one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back