The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

2G 6 Bolt swap spark issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

werx

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 19, 2007
Hendersonville, Tennessee
Okay I have a '96 Talon TSI awd w/ 6 Bolt swap. I used Magnus directions. I've been tracking down an electrical ignition gremlin for ever. The car is hard to start and will not idle for more than a couple of seconds. I checked the plugs and cylinder 2 and 3 were fouled. I check the ECU for burned or leaking caps...I looks brand new! So I got out my test light and started trying to track down the problem. Both coils are getting a signal but one doesn't flash and just becomes dim. I'm thinking a short in the system. so I checked the Power transistor/control module. I'm didn't see a signal on any of the wires but the black wires. So after all that I decided to check the CAS. Only the red wire from the cas was sending a signal.:aha: Am I wrong to think that that's not good and is it possible that that's causing the power transistor to not get a signal? I'm just trying to make sure I'm going in the right direction with this.:hmm:

Are you sure you wired the CAS right? I just did the swap and it fired right up (using the magnus way).

Did you make sure to swap your spark plug wires as well?

Actually I did, but like magnus directions say I opted to switch them at the the coils instead of the spark plug wires. and then cylinder 1 and 4 were not firing. LOL. Of course I'm also thinking I wired it wrong so I checked it again. All in all, if the cas is not sending a signal or should i say it's "bad" would that be an indication?

Thanks for the link and yes I've already gone through that fiasco! I made sure the second time I installed the CAS that it's TDC was lined up with the engine's TDC

does the white wire from the cas go to a blue wire with a red stripe ? What about the yellow wire?

Not sure if you figured it out yet.

From 1g CAS harness:

White wire from 1g CAS goes to the blue wire from the 2g Cam Sensor (rectangle).

Red wire from 1g CAS goes to the red wire from the 2g Crank Sensor (triangle).

Black wire from 1g CAS goes to the Black wire from the 2g Crank Sensor (triangle).

Yellow wire from 1g CAS goes to the Blue wire from the 2g Crank Sensor (triangle).

Sorry I haven't given you any progress but I'm trying to track down where the blue wire with the red stripe from the coil pack plug goes. The cam angle sensor connector that the white wire on the 1G CAS connects to has the same color. Does that mean anything? Like on the same wire?

Make sure to check your grounds as well, if there is a bad ground somewhere it could be making enough contact to work but cause the ignition system to malfunction. I'm having an ignition problem too, so make sure to ohm out your coils to see if they are still good.

found some connectors out of a junkyard GSX reconnected the wires and purchase the Magnus motorsport 1G into 2G adaptor. Purrs like a kitten a can always if I want to swap back to a seven bolt...not sure why but I have that option anyway.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back