The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Spyder 2g problem when engine gets warm

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua manson

Probationary Member
Apr 13, 2020
Winston Salem, North_Carolina
Hello I'm new atound here and to the eclipse I got a 97 4g64 Spyder gs n/t car runs great when I first crank it up an runs great till it gets alittle bit of heat in her then starts running rough and want take the throttle acts like it wants to cut out but can keep patting the gas an it will come through it an rev up but once I let go of the throttle it does it again I have put new tps new map sensor new cam sensor new plugs and new coils and a new maf sensor car has no check engine light at all if some one could help me that would be great

Throwing parts at it isn't working, you need a way to view live data (a $15 Bluetooth obd2 reader and $5 app can do this easy) and you need to start testing components to see if they're sending or receiving proper signals.

Sounds like an ISC issue, but don’t quote me on that. When it’s cold, the FIAV is open and allowing proper airflow. Once it warms up, the FIAV closes and the car relies on the ISC to keep the idle steady. I’d start by testing the ISC as that won’t show up on a scan tool.

Jinscho what is the FIAV idk much about the Mitsubishis an what's the isc and I have a 300$ scan tool that does the live data an from what I see it all seems to be reading right and ever thing is working to spec

Jinscho what is the FIAV idk much about the Mitsubishis an what's the isc and I have a 300$ scan tool that does the live data an from what I see it all seems to be reading right and ever thing is working to spec
This is the part where you need to do a little more digging on your end. There a quite a few threads on here explaining what the FIAV and ISC are, along with how to test and even bypass them.

I have been looking can't find one that looks like mine on my car not to sure about it if u know a link to it could u send it to me plz have took head off to change head gasket and timing belt kit since it's got 244,000 miles on it an ever thing that I see says head gasket causes the issue that I'm having .I put a thermostat in the car since it did not have one an it made it worse an there was little air bubbles coming in the rad cap Ike there was a air leak in the system

Mitsubishi's p/n for your ISC is MD614698. Unlike the 4G63 variant, the 4G64 throttle body requires replacement of the entire lower half of the throttle body. Unfortunately, it's also fairly expensive so it's not a part I suggest replacing before you test it and determine that it IS in fact bad.

Ok thanks an yea I know it's like 130 on eBay an more at the part store but I unplugged it the other day an plugged it back in an u could hear it readjust itself so i guess it's working

And the car was blowing like watery black sut out the exhaust and black smoke from time to time

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back