The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Hard start except when warm.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostedjay32

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 27, 2008
Bell, California
I have a stock 97 gst I have trouble starting it when its cold.(Sitting around for a couple hours.)When its cold and i pump the "gas" it turns on. But when its warm its starts up instantly. Ive done research on here witch lead me to the Colant Temp Sensor. I replaced it yesterday and nothing has changed. Today i did a little more research and now im thinking my gas cap may not be working. Ive noticed it doesnt "hiss" when i open it and pump gas. Could this be a problem? Im running the green coolant that isnt supposed to be added to water or should i just switch to water? i live in Los Angeles so it gets hot. Any suggestions?

the whole pumping the gas thing is all just in your head, because your car is fuel injected and not a carburetor motor so your not really doing anything other than moving the throttle open/close.

it must be one of the following reasons or all of them...

- fuel filter is clogged
-fuel pressure regulator is bad
- compression is bad (cylinders)
- spark plugs are bad
- weak power to the spark plugs.

Sorry to bring this back but im still having problems.
I changed the fuel pressure regulator spark plugs and wires and coolant temp sensor.
My compression is 175-165-160-175 from left to right . I dont think its that bad.
i seafoam my car every or every other oil change. so would me putting seafoam in the gas tank cause my fuel filter to be clogged?
And would a bad coil pack cause weak power to the plugs and wires?

You might have a leaking injector. Depressing the throttle pedal to the floor will turn off the fuel pump, thus allowing your engine to try and overcome the fuel flooding issue. I would check your spark plugs immediately following a round of cranking the engine when cold, check for fuel on the plugs or a strong gasoline smell from that cylinder.

Try this and get back to us.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back