The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 2g gst with auto awd trans?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buhay6

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 9, 2010
Delisle, SK_Canada
Hey random question here folks, this summer I picked up a 97 eclipse gst that was imported from texas 15 years ago and sat since. I crawled under it to fix some damaged components and noticed it had what appears to be a brand new auto awd trans in it.
My question is can I run that trans like that until I awd swap the car or do I gotta pull the trans and try and find a fwd one?

I havent seen a definitive answer to my question yet, all I seem to find is manual transmission related answers. If the answers the same for the auto as in weld center diff then well I guess I just wasted everyones time. I do plan on manual swapping the car and awd swap as well, but I need the car to pass 2 inspections before I can take the knife to it. Fwd trans arent easy to find here specifically autos. I've got 3 2g awds and 3 2g fwd shells plus 2 2g awd donor cars which are mostly stripped to the last screw and clip that will be used to convert 2 fwd's to awd.
I know 1g stuff wont cross over whether it be manual or auto, which is a shame because ive got 3 1g awds and 4 spare complete drivelines.....
Dsm wisemen please enlighten me with your knowledge LOL

Iirc, you can run the awd auto without the t-case and rear driveline and it will function fine, but you may need to have the center diff welded to have it work correctly without burning up the viscous coupler.
I'm not versed enough in autos to give you a definitive answer.

Iirc, you can run the awd auto without the t-case and rear driveline and it will function fine, but you may need to have the center diff welded to have it work correctly without burning up the viscous coupler.
I'm not versed enough in autos to give you a definitive answer.
Thanks for the reply thunderchild, if thats the case then its the same situation as a manual trans.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back