The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

95' 2G AWD Auto Trans ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XdsmdemonXRS

15+ Year Contributor
May 28, 2005
Dayton, Ohio
Hey guys, i bought a 95' TSi AWD for 900 bucks with a bad trans....the trans would engage in reverse after a short wait , but would not go foward in any gear...anyways i bought a 60k replacement that was sold as 95-99 , well i just got the old trans out part # W4A33K1-UPQ2
CJ3398

After i pulled the tranny out and set them side by side, along with converters, i notice the old converter was bigger and the new one was smallerWTF, and notice that the bell housing on the new trans was smaller to house smaller converter...and its part number was
W4A331FM6
DC6047

Should this new tranny work>?...theres some other small differences like where the shift cable connects on the bracket is a little different but not much? Any help would be great!

P.S. This car was about to make its way to the junk yard before i rescued it :dsm:

Apparently all awd 2g transmissions are not the same here is the problem, mainly with the torque convertor. see pictures

#1 is the bad trans that came out of the car is it the original 95 awd? we don't know.
it has a plug in sensor vs the supposed JDM trans that was purchased off ebay which has a wire harness. see picture 2.
Picture #3 is the stepped 4 ear flexplate that came out of the car, there was NO flexplate that came with JDM trans.
Picture #4 is the Thick shell Torque convertor stamped 3x out of car, Picture 5 is the ballon style convertor that came with the JDM trans stamped 6x. the stepped flex plate will not fit the back of the ballon convertor and would require a FLAT flex plate, as well as a on the ballon plate the flex plate bolts are a closer bolt pattern diameter than the thick style convertor with the stepped flexplate. also the ID pad numbers. so what kind of JDM trans do we have and whats with the different convertors. putting the old convertor in the JDM trans results in the starter not fitting nor the awd transfer case hits the old convertor now....

Oh yeah it also has the I can't get the axle shaft out of the wheel bearing syndrome, no matter how big a hammer., pb blaster or any other form of persuation,..anyone have any suggestions as to an easier way to get these things out without using a torch to cut it out??? destroying everything but the spindle!

Ok it turns out this is a Late 1st gen 94 AWD trans using flat flex plate with 7bolts to crankshaft, so there are 1g 7 bolt turbo motors, using a new Mitsu supplied 94 4g63 7 bolt flex plate this and the trans and torque convertor all mated up perfectly including the trans mounts. Now here is the next problem...I have searched everywhere include the factory service manual for a total fluid capacity including the converter and cannot seem to find an answer, there is 7qts in it now but the trans wont go into reverse, only drive, you can hear the solenoid click and rpm change when shifting into reverse but no action!! Leading me to think MAYBE more fluid is needed to fill the converter, but I dont want to overfill it? Or is this a TCU problem? any mitsu awd at gurus out here?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 880
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 806
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 760
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 723
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 734
They started making 7 bolts in 93' and so the auto awd tranny's for the 7 bolt's were simluar to the set up on 2g's...even with the mounts( i know, i been told 1g trannys only have one mount on them ...except 93-94 7 bolt awd auto's) 6 bolts obviously were different. The 1g tranny is in, bolted up , everything fits( had to change flexplate to a 1g 7 bolt, different from 2g flexplate), except the one connector pictured above with the 2 red wires is different from the old trans...so...any ideas why my car doesnt engage reverse but all othe rgears it seems to?...Also, any 1g auto awd owners knwo how much tranny fluid one of these trannys hold?...my 2g manual doesnt tell me?LOL:dsm::talon: Go figure?

(pounding head off keyboard) 893ryfhb39pr7yghn35tyh:cry:...sorry...looks like i went through alot of work for nothing if this is true. Maybe time to rebuild original trans and keep the car original as far as the trans goes..but hey! got great expierence doing a R&R on AWD Auto Transmissions;):dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back