The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Auto AWD Trans questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XiKeiyaZI

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 28, 2008
Goldsboro, North_Carolina
Now I post this in the newbie section as this is my first Auto. I have just taken my new car out for her first test drive and I noticed that by 25MPH and a little over 2K, the trans did not make a noticeable shift, as if it never did. Also, the vehicle has an aftermarket larger oil cooler for the trans oil, and I noticed that my Trans Temp light is on. Could this be related? Also, when putting the vehicle into gear, the car slams into the gear rather roughly and the vehicle acts as if it's bogging very badly like it's fighting to stay running.

Furthermore, how would you properly go about checking the fluid in the trans and adjusting it? Are there any do's and dont's?

Just assume that this trans has never been driven on and it's time for the first drive. Is there a specific way to add fluid or anything else of that sort? Any help is appreciated.

Mine has clunked into gear for years..Never broke on me yet...Also I think it's 35mph that it shifts, but It could be 25 I don't remember..

To check the fluid, start the car and let it run in neutral/park. Helps if you get it to operating temp too.

Check it four times, ignoring the reading the first three times. The fourth reading will be accurate. Sounds to me like you are low on tranny fluid.

Automatic Dsm's is a good read. Also, I assume you don't have a repair manual for your car (since it provides the nec. steps clearly to checking the trans fluid. Pick one of those up..

As most know, a lot of information in the repair manuals are inaccurate. Take Con-Rod torque specs. I dare you to build your engine based on those specs alone. ;) See you at the shop in 4 hours afterwards.

I actually have the factory manual in the car, just looking for DSMer experienced input.

The ATF should be checked with the car level and the engine running at normal operating temperature, in neutral. Briefly select each gear before selecting neutral to check the fluid.

Checking in park will show normal level when the ATF is actually over a quart low.

The ATF should be near red and not dark.

If the level is low try parking on clean cardboard to check where the drip is coming from.

The ATF should be checked with the car level and the engine running at normal operating temperature, in neutral. Briefly select each gear before selecting neutral to check the fluid.

Checking in park will show normal level when the ATF is actually over a quart low.

The ATF should be near red and not dark.

If the level is low try parking on clean cardboard to check where the drip is coming from.

Awesome. Thanks. So it is neutral. And I assume that it should not be over the black measurement block on the end of the cable, correct? If so and it's on the cable then it's too full, if it does not appear then it's too low.

;) Basic enough.

My Talon ATF dip stick has "full hot" and "full cold" marks. I only check when hot.

Fill through the same hole the dip stick is in. You will need a funnel and a short length of tubing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back