The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

1g TB + prothane inserts = Vibrator?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlanZero

Proven Member
Aug 13, 2013
Easton, Pennsylvania
OK, I'm just looking for input here. I just did the 1g TB swap (with fiav bypass, along with new shaft seals) on my 2g today and drove it to work so I haven't had time to investigate.
I have prothane inserts in the front and rear and had a decent amount of vibration at idle, but after the TB swap the vibration is completely insane.
The tps is adjusted correctly, the throttle cable is good, new gaskets (elbow and Mani ported to match), and I adjusted the BISS so idle is at 1k in park, 700 in Drive (same as before the swap).
Other than the ungodly vibration it drives good. I feel like I'm in my buddy's 1g with solid mounts. Suggestions?

The body alone should'nt or wont be the issue. In an auto the trans prothane is the only mount to make it vibrate! I know as im also auto and took it out and left the oem one in and it does not vibrate no more so 99% its down to that, the only possible way for it to shake is the mounts are either not seated correctly or moved and well broken but as you got prothanes im assuming you got tranny and timing solid mounts and front/rear inserts am i right?

The inserts dont do crap and well they snap as mine did due to not seating correctly so maybe if you have inserts then that might be a place to look.

Just swapping a throttle body wont cause this as i swapped my 2g for another 2g TB and it was the same as before so something ekse is causing your issue there buddy

Well I have inserts in front and rear. Sides are OEM. Like I said the inserts caused a decent, but bearable vibration at idle. This just happened after I swapped to the 1g TB. I don't know why the vibrations increased 10x more. I don't think a 8mm increase would do that. The IAC and TPS are good from the 2g TB. I replaced shaft seals, BISS o ring and installed a fiav bypass plate. EGR, EVAP, Cruise control were deleted long ago.
I don't know where to look since the idle is perfect. Only thing I can surmise is that the old TB was leaking so bad (BLT only showed leaks at the shaft seals and gasket) that once I installed this puppy I felt the full force of the mounts.
However, I've heard you only get crazy vibration with all 4 mounts. I had the front insert first, then noticed she chewed up the rear mount in 6 months so I put an insert in the rear. Had vibration, but not like this. It feels and sounds like my interior panels are rattling off.
So it HAS to be something with the TB. Too much/ not enough air getting by? Why would my idle still be good? I didn't touch the Idle switch. I know I have to be missing something.
Just double checked the inserts, they're still snug.

If its about to stall or struggling for air then thats when it might stutter and jurk or act like its moving alot more so maybe just try see for leaks but i doubt this as you said it drives fine so i dont expect much for this.

As i said on an auto only the tranny mount makes it vibrate, as is right now i have front/rear Full solid poly (no inserts) and the timing side is also full poly and tranny is oem and.its barely vibrates, if i stuck it back in then it vibrates

so on yours im going to think the oem mount has blown or split and has movement as shen this happens engines can drop and move more and/or end up sitting on frames/crossmembers and cause excess vibrations, so check the oem mounts and also check the mounting bolts aswell just incase. Just the inserts alone will not be the main cause. There is something else going on here.

do you have link I put inserts front and back and full side mounts in my gst and it shakes like a bi*** at idle.

It can also be down to coincidence, changing one thing and something else goes at that moment. Unrelated in any other aspect but time.

I would look at anything that causes vibration, more pronounced at low rpm. Physical or ignition based.

A bigger TB or leaks will allow more air but closed loop is well within compensation until its not and then your afr will reflect that.
Trims & afr at idle still in line as before?

Theres more to this as said before.. something even caused by mistake.

I found that just changing the timing side mount to poly made my auto car vibrate considerably more, but I am used to it. It is the only one I changed and it is definitely not going anywhere in the motor bay. It barely rocks and I almost don't even need roll stops.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back