The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1G 1G Ignition timing issues.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s4b0t4g3r

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 2, 2005
Calgary, Alberta_Canada
Hey guys, I am having some troubles settings my 5 degree base timing.

Here's what I do:

-Ground timing adjustment pin/connector
-I am grounded on the metal pin, not the plastic piece.
-Set motor to TDC
-Ensure CAS is properly installed (line it up properly with the intake cam, while at TDC)
-Check to see if all marks line up (Cam marks, and the mark on the harmonic balancer and timing cover)
-Hook up timing light (#1 wire)

Now, when I start the car, it idles like crap. When I move the CAS towards front bumper, the idle improves a TON and motor runs a whole lot smoother. Only thing is, when I use the timing light to look at the mark, its WAY off. Past the 15 mark... Also, if I look at the cam marks with the light, they are not lined up either.

When I rotate CAS towards the firewall, the mark gets closer to the 5 deg mark, but idles like crap, and if I ever get to the mark, the car just dies.

The few times I've set it to the 5 degree mark like that, with the poor idle, I've tried adjusting the idle to compensate, no such luck. (Yes I grounded the idle pin on diagnostic port as well as the timing one in the engine bay)

I'm fairly sure the balancer is not slipping, as this happens consistently, and I also rotate motor back to TDC just to double check before I start the car. Everything lines up.

I am thinking the idle speed may be set too high, thats why I'm seeing so much damn timing. Any thoughts?
Tomorrow I'm going to try to move the CAS so that it runs fine, and then lower the idle speed. Maybe that shall do it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

PS: Car is a 1990 TSi awd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: Update

I can't set the idle properly when the car won't run.

I checked my IAC, it's fine.

When I move cas towards front of car, it starts idling higher (was up to 1000-1500rpm).

I've tried to set the idle when the CAS was not advanced or retarded at all. No luck.

I tried setting the idle when I got the car to run on the waay off timing.

I doubt the CAS is 180 degrees out, as I can get the timing close, but it just dies at that point. Like I said, I checked that. (Punch mark lined up with correct side of cas, and put back into motor while at TDC)

I just find it strange that when the timing is way off, it starts to run fine. But when I make it correct, it runs like crap, if at all.

Is the car running on all four cylinders?

The car needs to be idling at 750 and up to operating temp before adjusting the CAS.
Once you set the CAS you will need to reset the idle speed but the ignition timing shouldn't change.

If you can't get the car to idle I'd check all the basics, compression, intake leaks, plugs, wires, etc.

Steve

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back