The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

1G 1G DSM OVERVOLTAGE!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony Boni

5+ Year Contributor
May 13, 2018
Wrightstown, New_Jersey
Man I swear I have nothing but electrical issues with this car and I SUCK at electrical stuff. In both link and from my multimeter, I’m showing 15.2-15.4 volts. My tuner told me to replace my alternator, so I did. Still the same reading. Had both alternators tested at auto zone, they both passed. Both are OEM Mitsu 75 amp alternators. I have 0 ohms of resistance from my alternator to chassis. What else can I check? @steve i know you’re an electrical guru and I need all the help I can get if you don’t mind giving me some pointers. Thanks in advance guys!

Man I swear I have nothing but electrical issues with this car and I SUCK at electrical stuff. In both link and from my multimeter, I’m showing 15.2-15.4 volts. My tuner told me to replace my alternator, so I did. Still the same reading. Had both alternators tested at auto zone, they both passed. Both are OEM Mitsu 75 amp alternators. I have 0 ohms of resistance from my alternator to chassis. What else can I check? @steve i know you’re an electrical guru and I need all the help I can get if you don’t mind giving me some pointers. Thanks in advance guys!
Check the connection for the two smaller alternator wires. These provide the alternator with feedback for voltage regulation. If the connector or wiring is bad it would explain why two working alternators are generating too large of a voltage.

Check the connection for the two smaller alternator wires. These provide the alternator with feedback for voltage regulation. If the connector or wiring is bad it would explain why two working alternators are generating too large of a voltage.
How do I check them? I saw the wiring diagram for the alternator and it’s like looking at a trigonometry problem to me. Do I check for continuity? Resistance? Voltage?

Multimeter is fine. Use the voltage setting. Reading battery voltage on the meter can be replaced in that guide for a lit test light.
Oops didn’t mean to post that. Here’s a picture I snapped. The large white/yellow looking wire is disconnected completely. There’s another small white yellow that has been cut. I think that is for the power steering connector to let the ECU know when you are turning the wheel so the motor will increase in RPM. And I have a black/white striped wire going into the connector.

Multimeter is fine. Use the voltage setting. Reading battery voltage on the meter can be replaced in that guide for a lit test light.

Attachments

• 9BBE0B5F-6492-41FA-9DAA-22C82E356A65.jpeg
    9BBE0B5F-6492-41FA-9DAA-22C82E356A65.jpeg
    333.7 KB · Views: 138
  • CC6D959D-D3E8-44A1-979C-3E3C2D9AE7D0.jpeg
    CC6D959D-D3E8-44A1-979C-3E3C2D9AE7D0.jpeg
    332.6 KB · Views: 110
Right. I'd expect you'll see a voltage between ground and battery. A dimly lit test light would be a weak voltage as the resistance of the test light is fixed and current is consumed by the light based on V=IR (Ohm's law). Only remaining variable is voltage to determine brightness. You should see a voltage in step 3, and then a larger voltage in step 4.

Oops didn’t mean to post that. Here’s a picture I snapped. The large white/yellow looking wire is disconnected completely. There’s another small white yellow that has been cut. I think that is for the power steering connector to let the ECU know when you are turning the wheel so the motor will increase in RPM. And I have a black/white striped wire going into the connector.
That'll be the issue. The alternator has no voltage feedback to adjust itself. Thus your higher than desired voltage. You can crimp some spade connectors on to get it attached enough to make the charging system function properly. Ideally, I'd go to Sheridan Engineering and get a replacement connector and terminals and get it all patched back up to factory original.

Last edited:
That'll be the issue. The alternator has no voltage feedback to adjust itself. Thus your higher than desired voltage. You can crimp some spade connectors on to get it attached enough to make the charging system function properly. Ideally, I'd go to Sheridan Engineering and get a replacement connector and terminals and get it all patched back up to factory original.
Patched her up! She’s steady at 14.4 volts. Thanks so much!!!!!!

Attachments

• 7CE5484F-5D2E-4BC9-964F-CB37DF9F8B09.jpeg
    7CE5484F-5D2E-4BC9-964F-CB37DF9F8B09.jpeg
    359.9 KB · Views: 82
Next time don't disconnect the pump. Just unbolt it and move it out of the way and leave the lines connected and you won't make a mess

Next time don't disconnect the pump. Just unbolt it and move it out of the way and leave the lines connected and you won't make a mess
Hopefully there won’t have to be a next time!! Thanks for the advice, I’ll be sure to remember that if/when I need to replace my alternator... again

Hi, I think think the voltage regulator must also be checked. There’s some sort of contact point in there that must be automatically release by itself whene there’s surge of over changing.

wait..
that's not supposed to be there? I have always thought that is the anti-rust coating my car liberally reapplies on it's own..
maybe I should replace my PS seals (again)
I went to autozone and picked up a variety of O-rings. Think I used a 10mm and 12mm with a crush washer below the jamnut. Hasn’t leaked one bit and cost me $3.00

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back