The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G AWD Transmission fluid in gauge cluster

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenneth Schlorf

Proven Member
Feb 15, 2015
Cottage Grove, Minnesota
Hi! I have done some searching without success, so I would appreciate some thoughts.

I know that transmission fluid can make its way up the speedometer cable and into the gauge cluster (firsthand). But I am wondering if a new cable solves the problem or if there is a seal at the speedometer gear in the transmission that is the real solution. Any and all related experiences would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Ken

Thanks tmoney20g (and for the seal number). I am aware that it has a seal, but am wondering what solves the problem of fluid in the gauge cluster. Does the speedometer cable have a seal somewhere built within it that prevents it from coming up or is the seal that prevents it from coming up the cable in the speedometer gear/assembly? That's what I am trying to figure out.

New cable didn't solve the problem. New oil seal did. As tmoney20g stated, the MD730727 seal solved the issue. Removed the battery and box. One 10mm bolt held the speedometer gear in place. This was the toughest part: I had to take a long rod and lightly pound/turn the assembly clockwise about 60-90 degrees after I had the bolt out and then bang it back the other way (did this twice) before it was loose enough to pull out/up by hand. Pounded one retaining pin out with a nail to remove the gear and shaft. Easily pulled the seal out with a dental pick and the new one went right back in by hand. Pounded the retaining pin back in where the groove in the shaft was and off I went. Pretty easy fix.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back