The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

1g Auto trans help needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2wdlaser

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 2, 2011
Germansville, Pennsylvania
Ok So I've goggled, I have looked every where. I can't find any info on the problem I'm having. So I did an engine swap in my 91 Plymouth laser rs turbo. Its an auto. Tranny wise when I took everything out was fine. Ok So i replaced the engine. Fires up great. Go to put it in drive and nothing happens. Turned overdrive off did nothing. I can hear what i think is a solonod clicking. Only clicks when I put it in R,D.123. not in N OR P. I found the plug cause when i unplug it, the clicking stops. My question is how do i replace it. And or what is it. or could it be something totally different. If ## an auto trans guru for a dsm. Hit me up cause we need to talk.

Did the engine you swapped in did it come from an automatic also ? If not did you switch the center piece on the crankshaft from your auto to new engine ? If thats gone that would cause non engagement I would think of torque converter. I only mention because i almost did it to mine. Had a short block rebuilt out of a manual and when getting ready put on flex plate noticed middle pieces were different. Its called crankshaft bushing. Just a thought any way.

If its low on fluid, it won't go in any gear , ..
Fluid needs to be checked with the car warmed up, running and in neutral .....
Drive ( 3rd gear only) and reverse are mechanical..Meaning shift solenoids don't matter ..As long as there is enough fluid, you will have 3rd and reverse..

There are two plugs that are similar in the trans harness, but are not to be plug together..
There is a fuse that automatic cars have and manuals don't..Its in the fuse panel, in car, drivers side where a data logger would go.. AT/BOITE is its label on the black cover..

Ok I didn't know about the fuse in the car. My fuse cover is gone. Any idea which one. And my fluids are good. Reverse and 3rd do mothing. Only reason to me seems electrical. Why is that thing clicking. Could it be from a blown fuse.

Are you sure the shifter cable linkage is moving the gear selector at the transmission ?

Ya I'm positive. This really has be baffled. Btw thank u guys so far.

Did you remember to put the torque converter back in the transmission? Also double check your connectors maybe perhaps something is not making a good connection.

Did you remember to put the torque converter back in the transmission?
Man, that would be something there..If I did that I defiantly would'nt post it up:D...Thing is, he could'nt start the car without it..

It does happen and the vehicle did start, it just didn't move so they had it towed it in to the shop I work at. It would start and run, the fluid was to the proper level on the dipstick, but when you put it in gear it would not move at all. After an hour of checking it over I decided to remove the transmission thinking that I would find a broken shaft or something crazy like that. When I removed the transmission and noticed there was no torque converter installed, I was surprised...well maybe not. Even a bad torque convertor can cause this same kind problem come to find out, the vehicle goes nowhere no matter what gear it is in.

Thanks so much. I'm going to check in to it tomorrow. Ill post up asap

Ok so the fuse was fine. All the plugs are in the correct spot. So confused. Should I just convert to 5 speed

Did you put the bolts that go from the flexplate to the converter in ? You need to take a tranny hose off and start the car and see if fluid is pumping....
Are there any auto dsm people in your area that can come over and look over what you got ?

No I didn't take off the line. I'm going to do that this weekend. 11secdsm is also on lvdsm, I've been trying to get a hold of him but haven't heard anything yet. I figured he might know.

I live in Philly so i'm not too close to you actually. Family life takes up most of my remaining time. :p

There are two plugs that are similar in the trans harness, but are not to be plug together.

This might be the best piece of advice i've seen in here. There are 2 plugs that are identical and can easily be swapped. One has less wires than the other (3 vs 4) if I recall correctly. If they are swapped, shit will go hay wire and burn things up. Start there.

Its not the plugs I checked switched them abs switched them back.

Just a note, the torque convertor must be twisted, and it will fall into place 3 times. If it is not set to the final seat (third drop), it will not move, ever. Might be a good idea to disconnect it form the flex-plate and see if it will move back any further.

Is thete any way I could call u. I have no idea ### u mean LOL

He's referring to how many people don't get the converter in the trans all the way (not just these transmissions but any auto). The car should still move, but it will wreck the transmission right away.

Maybe the input shaft is missing?

Did you put the bolts that go from the flexplate to the converter in ? You need to take a tranny hose off and start the car and see if fluid is pumping....
Are there any auto dsm people in your area that can come over and look over what you got ?

Then the starter wouldn't crank the engine over since the ring gear is on the converter. Although, I guess if the engine wasn't running, the car wouldn't move so :hmm:

You're checking fluid in neutral NOT park right?

But y is that one plug clicking. If you guys want ill take A video

I'll be there tomorrow and I'll take a video and post it up. I'll show you guys when the car is running and when its off.

Just a note, the torque convertor must be twisted, and it will fall into place 3 times. If it is not set to the final seat (third drop), it will not move, ever. Might be a good idea to disconnect it form the flex-plate and see if it will move back any further.

IF the converter isn't seated into the transmission all the way than the transmission won't fit all the way up to the engine unless forced which will damage the pump. If the converter is far enough into the transmission for the transmission to bolt to the engine than it is seated properly.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back