1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1996 gsx has had time starting

Posted by Ethan_gsx, Oct 21, 2020

Tags:
Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing
  1. Ethan_gsx

Ethan_gsx Probationary Member

Joined Oct 21, 2020
    Michigan city, Indiana
    Hello all and thank you for looking, hopefully you can provide some insight. I just got the car a few months back, it has a very hard time starting, I put a new battery, I’ve run a few tanks of gas through, it’s got a turbo timer not sure if that matters. In the morning when I start the car I have to turn the car over for probably 30 seconds before it starts up, the fuel pressure indicator doesn’t move when I turn the key. After the car starts if I shut it off it starts up perfect after that but if I let the car sit for a few hours it’s hard to start again. When it starts it seems to run great any ideas?

2. Dr-Evil

Dr-Evil Proven Member

Joined Oct 21, 2019
    Brookston, Indiana
    Check your fuel pressure with a tester and see what kind of psi your seeing at the rail when this problem occurs, that would be a good place to start.

153  0

1969 Lincoln Continental Sedan
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 556  1

1991 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM
  3. Vegas Smith

Vegas Smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Hmm, I didn't realize there was a fuel pressure indicator so I'm not sure what you mean. Do you have ecmlink? I would imagine there could be a fuel pressure issue as mentioned or maybe the coolant temp sensor.

Street Build 4K  4

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  4. iugrad92turbo

iugrad92turbo Supporting Member

Joined May 22, 2007
    Kalamazoo, Michigan

8K  5

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  5. JeffwithaG

JeffwithaG Proven Member

Joined Nov 30, 2017
    Flemington, New Jersey
    I had this issue in my '96 GSX and the coolant temp sensor fixed it up. Definitely worth looking into, they aren't very expensive.

Maybe OP has a AFPR with gauge or something?

Street Build 574  6

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. luv2rallye

luv2rallye DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 7, 2003
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Sounds like your classic fuel pressure not being maintained after engine turned off. It should stay there for days. Usually a faulty fuel pressure regulator is the problem (leaking gas back to the fuel tank).

3K  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    14.200 @ 95.000 · 2G DSM
  7. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    I concur. Could also be a leaky fuel injector. This will leak fuel into a cylinder and flood that cylinder. Car will cough and sputter at first crank until that cylinder is cleared. Won't do it on 2nd start attempt because it hasnt had time to flood.

Street Build 3K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    luv2rallye likes this.