The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Resolved 2G gsx starting issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solution
For inquiring minds and future searchers, upon testing and observation, it was my starter bolts that were the culprit. No matter how hard I tightened, they seem to come undone and lose torque. I checked out the threads and some of them were stripped off. I'll be picking up new bolts as well as lock washers later tonight
It sounds like the starter is not engaging the flywheel, are the cam gears moving when your doing this? Did you put the starter plate back in? Is the starter and tranny torqued down with all bolts?

Yep, could be shaft play like the above post LOL, pull the starter and get it tested at the very least, after all, it's free.

I also just noticed you did the awd swap, make sure you have the correct flywheel as they are different diameters but I'm sure you know that.

I figured its not engaging the flywheel but why isn't it? It was starting fine a few weeks ago. If u look at my YouTube channel I did have the car out of my garage.

The starter plate is still there and intact. The starter is new. All bolts are in and torqued right. The flywheel is the right one.

Are you 100% positive that the flywheel you have is for an AWD? If you are certain, pull the starter and get it tested since it obviously works, the actuator may be shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actuator is located where?

When I say brand new, well, its a remanufactored from autozone..I know...not the best but I was desperate. When I pulled the old starter...the teeth were half grinded off...so I replaced the starter LAST NIGHT and it was tested before I left.

edit: i have fuel, i have spark, i can't check my compression nor how to check timing...my timing belt isnt snapped so i dont know if this helps..

Last edited:
when i first purchased my DSM it did the exact same thing, the actuator wasnt working. went on to rockauto and got a new starter cheap and shes started great ever since then.

LOL new starters from autozone suck. it took me 3 different starters from autozone until one engaged the flywheel. the starter can test out fine but it still wont engage the flywheel. i was lucky enough after my third time replacing the starter from autozone that i got a Mitsubishi starter that's re manufactured. lifetime warranty LOL

Later tonight, I will be borrowing someone else's starter and hopefully I have luck. Hopefully its a starter issue and not wiring. In the process of the awd swap, I took all my 99 wiring and put it in the 97 gst

For inquiring minds and future searchers, upon testing and observation, it was my starter bolts that were the culprit. No matter how hard I tightened, they seem to come undone and lose torque. I checked out the threads and some of them were stripped off. I'll be picking up new bolts as well as lock washers later tonight

Solution
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back