The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G 1992 Mitsubishi Galant LS Water Pump Replacement (4G63, SOHC)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTak79

Probationary Member
Aug 13, 2022
Ames, Iowa
I am new here and hoping for some advice regarding replacing a water pump in my daughters 1992 Mitsubishi Galant LS (4G63, SOHC). It's completely stock - we bought it a few years back from an older lady in DsM. I haven't found much detailed information online. I was just referred here by an Ames Car facebook group. I've worked on other vehicles before, mainly on Chevy's and I've also got an International Scout II, but I've never done this project on this type of vehicle before. It appears that something so simple as changing a water pump is VERY different on this car. So, I feel like I'm flying blind on this project and am concerned to start it - I don't want to mess it up mid-project or something.

The facebook group provided this link: https://www.fixya.com/cars/t6804180-replace_water_pump_in_1992_mitsubishi , which has some good general details, and they mentioned (as that article mentions) to be careful of maintaining or setting the "TDC timing mark" during the process - this is where my lack of experience starts to come in. Everything in that article seems doable, but what seriously concerns me is that "TDC timing mark". I really don't want to screw that up - I realize that it sounds vitally important to the function of the engine.

I have included images of the engine and the car (just in case?) for reference in case that helps.

Thank you for taking the time to help a father help his daughter. :) I really appreciate it.

*ALSO curious if anyone here works on these cars as a side hustle and would wanna give me a quote? If so, please message me. Thanks.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
If you have experience working on other things, I would think that you should be able to do that job with a chilton or Haynes manual by your side. If you don’t know when the timing belt has been changed before, then assume it’s passed due anyway and do the whole job.

Don’t let timing marks scare you, they either line up and it’s good-or they don’t and you redo it until they do.

Why do you want to replace the water pump, is it leaking? Overheating?

If you have experience working on other things, I would think that you should be able to do that job with a chilton or Haynes manual by your side. If you don’t know when the timing belt has been changed before, then assume it’s passed due anyway and do the whole job.

Don’t let timing marks scare you, they either line up and it’s good-or they don’t and you redo it until they do.

Why do you want to replace the water pump, is it leaking? Overheating?
Water pump is leaking from the bottom (weep hole), and we keep having to fill the coolant. So it's time to replace it before it really goes bad.

Thank you! I think those will prove to be VERY helpful!

Its kinda a tight space to work, and you might also want to replace the timing belt and balance shaft belt,tensioners and pulleys, all at the same time, along with the cam and crank seals, since you will have to remove it all anyway to get the water pump off, and don't worry about the timing mark the sohc 4g63 8 and 12 valve engines are non interference, just get the engine to tdc on the number 1 cylinder remove the #1 spark plug once you feel air coming out line up the crank pulley to tdc mark on the lower plastic timing cover.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back