The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

1991 Talon TSi AWD - Project $400

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Awesome thread so far for sure!! Btw have you noticed any issues with lowered shock/strut life by running lowering springs on the GR2 shocks/struts?

No Sir. I don't have these springs or shocks on my blue Talon yet, but my Red one has Eibach Prokit springs and GR-2's and I haven't had any problems. The problem with GR-2's starts when you really slam the car, anything 1.5" and less you'll be fine with GR-2's.

Update: I've finally been driving the car for some time now, but it is slow as sin. There is nothing wrong with it, it's just extremely slow compared to my other Talon. I bought another Slowboy Race core and a Tial 50mm from Keri (VTEC-THIS) on here, and with the rest of the supporting mods I am going to put my 3076r on the car in the next few weeks. So far here's what's been replaced.

Parts replaced/upgraded on the car:
Wiper blades
All Coolant hoses
All accessory belts
OEM Water Pump
New OEM knock sensor
New Denso o2 sensor

Timing components: Idler pulley, tensioner puller, balance shaft belt tensioner, hydraulic tensioner, tensioner arm, Mitsubishi timing belt, Continental balance shaft belt

Head: Milled, valves lapped, Ferrea valve seals, ARP SD Head Studs, Hyundai valve cover, ARP stainless exhaust manifold studs, new copper crush washers on turbo oil feed, New OEM cam seals

Gaskets: Felpro intake gasket (Red Tack), Mr Gasket Copper exhaust gasket, Mitsubishi stainless manifold-turbo gasket, thermostat housing, thermostat housing to head, valve cover gasket, throttle body gaskets, Felpro PermaTorque composite head gasket

Fluids replaced: Washer fluid, power steering fluid, brake fluid(Valv synthetic), clutch fluid (Valv synthetic), rear diff (Redline Shockproof), Transfercase (Redline Shockproof), Trans (Pennzoil Syncromesh),
Engine oil was changed w/ 10w-30 Valvoline and new Purolator filter, and flushed after 300mi since the car sat for so long, and replaced w/ 10w-30 Valvoline and new Purolator filter, coolant flushed, system flush, new 70/30 mix of coolant

Brakes: Replaced front and rear rotors w/ Wearever rotors, Wearever silver pads in rear, Hawk HPS pads in front. Both rear calipers are new units, I rebuilt the front calipers

Other Items: HD Aluminum radiator, New Stant radiator cap, New Stant thermostat, Hallman MBC (10psi), Re-Keyed car (car didn't come with working keys), Torque EGR delete plate, All emissions removed except catalytic converter & charcoal can, New front axle carrier bearing and seals (OEM), New passenger side & driver side front axles, new fuel filter, New DEKA battery, New power transistor, New Accel plug wires, New NGK BR6es plugs, recharged A/C with Freeze-12 (blows nice and cold), replaced upper and lower injector seals (OEM), new exhaust flex section, ARP Chromoly manifold-turbo bolts, shortened shifter, 2g Probe GT leather shift knob, K&N Filter, EPROM ECU

Suspension: Replaced front wheel bearings, seals, and snap rings (OEM parts), New Moog balljoints, New Moog outer tie rod ends, New Driveworks sway bar end links, KYB GR-2 shocks/struts, Eibach Pro-Kit springs, MB Motoring Weapon wheels (17x8 +40mm), New Dunlop Direzza 245-45-17's, Hubcentric rings, rear control arms cut and welded to clear the +40 wheels and wide tires

I also picked up a very clean set of 1g black leather front and rear seats for dirt cheap that I haven't put in yet.

I also deleted the ABS, and will be deleting the cruise unless I can find a working cruise motor at the junkyard.

The 3076r setup will consist of:

Link v3 full
PTE 680's
Walbro 255
Aeromotive regulator
Pacesetter manifold
3076r
Tial 40mm WG
Slowboy race core
Tial 50mm BOV
GM 3.5" MAF
NGK 7's
LC-1 Wideband
Automoeter Boost Gauge
ACT Streetlite flywheel
ACT 2900 Clutch
New master, slave, clutch fork & pivot ball
SS clutch line
4 Bolt rear swap
Thermal R&D 3" Turboback
Battery relocated to trunk
Poly motor mounts

Pictures!!!

Attachments

• 2012-09-02_17-57-31_434.jpg
    2012-09-02_17-57-31_434.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 399
  • 2012-09-02_18-56-21_719.jpg
    2012-09-02_18-56-21_719.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 2012-09-16_15-06-10_868.jpg
    2012-09-16_15-06-10_868.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 124
  • 2012-09-16_15-06-30_240.jpg
    2012-09-16_15-06-30_240.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 2012-09-16_15-06-45_633.jpg
    2012-09-16_15-06-45_633.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 2012-09-16_15-06-54_403.jpg
    2012-09-16_15-06-54_403.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 381
  • 2012-09-16_15-07-11_313.jpg
    2012-09-16_15-07-11_313.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 380
  • 2012-09-16_15-07-54_637.jpg
    2012-09-16_15-07-54_637.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 371
Looks great man! You got super lucky with the exterior being so nice and the motor being in good condition. My interior was destroyed when I got it too, the exterior is pretty bad too, but its getting there. I hope eventually it will be clean like yours on the inside and outside :D

How do you get that recall for your transfer case? my 92 had its transfer case rebuilt once and i had it blow up on me again so i think i might be in need of one of those recalled ones LOL message me about how to do that thanks man!

Beautiful man, clean as hell I love it. Depending where you're at in PA, we might have to meet up sometime. Keep it up brotha :hellyeah:

Thanks everyone! Yea that would be cool!

As for the transfercase: The dealer replaced the seatbelt buckles, and inspected the transfercase and only had to add fluid since it had never leaked a drop. The recall notice states that if it is leaking the seals and yoke must be replaced and if the transfercase is very low or out of oil it must be replaced, neither of which are true in my case. Since it's an Eagle the recall will remain open and should it start leaking I can take it back to have it serviced again.

Car looks great!! What kind of wheels are those? Also, for the tcase warranty did you take it to a Chrysler or mitsu dealer? Why did they replace the seatbelts?

Car looks great!! What kind of wheels are those? Also, for the tcase warranty did you take it to a Chrysler or mitsu dealer? Why did they replace the seatbelts?

Thanks!! They Are MB Motoring Weapons, 17x8 +40mm. The tires are 245/45/17 Dunlop Direzza's. I took it to my local Chrysler Dealer, all Eagle's and Plymouth's go to the Chrysler dealer, Mitsu's go to the Mitsu dealer. Recently the rear seal started leaking since they messed with it so it will be going back. Eagle and Plymouth have lifetime coverage on the t-case, Mitsu was a once and done deal. There was a recall for the front seatbelt buttons that was never done, I guess they deteriorate with the sun and break when you push the button in. This is the portion aside of your hip i'm speaking about, this is the buckle only, not the belt assembly.

Dude 1g's came with black leather seats??? I must find some for my build.
Great job getting that old girl back on the road, did you say how many miles are on it or not?

Yes they did, they came in tan, light grey, and black. Any leather from a 1g will be hard to come by in decent shape. Thanks for the compliments! The car had 155k on it when I bought it. It has 157k on it now.

Last edited:
Yes they did, they came in tan, light grey, and black. Any leather from a 1g will be hard to come by in decent shape. Thanks for the compliments! The car had 155k on it when I bought it. It has 157k on it now.

Well I got the tan one's but only one of them's in good shape, guess I'll be on the hunt for some black ones. Any progress lately?

I'm on the hunt now as well :p on another note, how hard was the carpet swap? seriously considering it, mine is straight up dirty and kinda nasty.

dude taking out the carpets a piece of cake, take out the seats, take out the bench seat in the rear and the lower rear panels, door kicks, center counsel, and lower kick panels on both ds and ps below the dash and its virtually a done deal. Sounds like a lot of work but it really isn't.

dude taking out the carpets a piece of cake, take out the seats, take out the bench seat in the rear and the lower rear panels, door kicks, center counsel, and lower kick panels on both ds and ps below the dash and its virtually a done deal. Sounds like a lot of work but it really isn't.

Thanks for letting me know! might have to do that, mine is trashed from serious neglect. Damn PO...:barf:

Thanks for letting me know! might have to do that, mine is trashed from serious neglect. Damn PO...:barf:

Pressure washer and simple green is your friend! The replacement carpet I got was pretty nasty. I hosed it down, sprayed simple green on it and a little laundry detergent and went to town with a med. bristle brush. After working everything loose I turned the pressure washer on it and it came out looking almost as good as new. Don't trash the carpet when it can easily be fixed. Be warned, it takes quite a bit of time to dry. Mine took a good 8 hours in 90 degree heat.

Well I got the tan one's but only one of them's in good shape, guess I'll be on the hunt for some black ones. Any progress lately?

Not much.. The stock 14b took a crap, so I replaced it with a ported 14b. I also installed one of my spare eprom ecu's with Link v3 full on it. I leaned it out a bit and threw in the evo8 maps and did a little tweaking. The car is much more responsive. I also cut my air can and hacked the factory mas. I plan on doing all my upgrades over the winter, but honestly it's just nice having another spare car that's fun and reliable that you can just hop in and go.

Pressure washer and simple green is your friend! The replacement carpet I got was pretty nasty. I hosed it down, sprayed simple green on it and a little laundry detergent and went to town with a med. bristle brush. After working everything loose I turned the pressure washer on it and it came out looking almost as good as new. Don't trash the carpet when it can easily be fixed. Be warned, it takes quite a bit of time to dry. Mine took a good 8 hours in 90 degree heat.

Not much.. The stock 14b took a crap, so I replaced it with a ported 14b. I also installed one of my spare eprom ecu's with Link v3 full on it. I leaned it out a bit and threw in the evo8 maps and did a little tweaking. The car is much more responsive. I also cut my air can and hacked the factory mas. I plan on doing all my upgrades over the winter, but honestly it's just nice having another spare car that's fun and reliable that you can just hop in and go.

jealous of this 1g :p I basically have all of that stuff needed but, I can get a NEW replacement carpet that's black (the color I want the interior to be) for like $120 bucks, and it's fitted for the car. plus there's been a lot of oil bottles half open laid on the carpet... pretty safe to say she's just about as bad as it can get :|

jealous of this 1g :p I basically have all of that stuff needed but, I can get a NEW replacement carpet that's black (the color I want the interior to be) for like $120 bucks, and it's fitted for the car. plus there's been a lot of oil bottles half open laid on the carpet... pretty safe to say she's just about as bad as it can get :|

Thanks!!

I would say this: if you want to save the money and make the carpet look 90% new again, go the degreaser/pressure washing route.

If you want a different color carpet without the hassle, but the new stuff.

Either way, I'm sure you'll be satisfied with the results!
:thumb:

Thanks!!

I would say this: if you want to save the money and make the carpet look 90% new again, go the degreaser/pressure washing route.

If you want a different color carpet without the hassle, but the new stuff.

Either way, I'm sure you'll be satisfied with the results!
:thumb:

Thanks for the input! I might just try the degreaser route first, although I really don't think it can be saved. Plus it's going to be hard to do it now that it's below freezing :|

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back