1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1990 shifter cables vs. 1995+

Posted by Happys_TSI, Apr 3, 2020

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. Happys_TSI

Happys_TSI Proven Member

Joined Nov 29, 2017
    Oregon, Ohio
    I have a 1990 talon tsi. I had swapped a 2g trans into it and first gear seems to be fine but 2nd is hard to find and pops out. I swapped everything except the shift cables, they’re still from 1990. Could this be the cause of my issue with 2nd gear or is there no difference between the cable lengths and my trans most likely due for a rebuild?

2. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    90 cables are different. I believe you need 91-94 cables and the bracket on the trans. May also need to mod the shift arms on the trans to give proper engagement.

Street Build 614  3

1990 Plymouth Laser N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM

637  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 1K  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 3K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    DSMPT likes this.
  3. DSMPT

DSMPT Proven Member

Joined Jun 12, 2014
    Japan / Mexico, Arizona
    What year's cable bracket/base and the selector levers do you have? If you use the 90 shifter base and the 90 cables, you also need to use the 90 cable bracket/base and the selector levers on the transmission.

Drag Race Build 2K  3

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 2K  4

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM
    ThunderChild likes this.
  4. mitsubishikid

mitsubishikid Proven Member

Joined Jun 8, 2009
    Turlock, California
    i plan to swap a 2g transmission into my 90, all you need is a 91-94 1g shifter base cables and bracket for the transmission and maybe the swing arm on the transmission held on by two 12mm bolts, i'm not sure on that last item but rather have it and not need it then need it and not have.

1K  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  5. Happys_TSI

Happys_TSI Proven Member

Joined Nov 29, 2017
    Oregon, Ohio
    I basically took everything off of my 90 trans and swapped it to the 2g, brackets and all. I didn’t modify the shift arms or swap shifters or anything, I tried to adjust the cables and no luck. It feels like there’s nothing there in second gear at all, but all other gears work perfect, I think second is f***ed but I wanna try anything else first.

6. DSMPT

DSMPT Proven Member

Joined Jun 12, 2014
    Japan / Mexico, Arizona
    What about the 4th and the reverse? and Does it enter to the 2nd by moving the arm by hand?
    Do you still have the counter weight on the arm? If you do, it may be contacting something and disturbing, like the lower radiator hose. Should make it sure first if it's not contacting anything.

Drag Race Build 2K  3

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 2K  4

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM