The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1990 gsx engine harness

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bb90gsx

Probationary Member
Aug 18, 2007
greenville, South_Carolina
main problem.. the insulation on my engine harness cracked and shorted god knows what.. engine ran rough with a cel on did a diagnostic on it and after checking all that is wrong found where the isulation had cracked to the point where there wasn't any left on the wire. Is this a common problem? Or was it from abuse from the previous owner. letting the engine run too hot? I've worked on cars for years and have never seen this. Now I need a new harness and my question is. what harness is compatable with my car? it's a gsx 5spd and from what the manual tells me is the wiring was different just in the 90 model. can I use a harness from a 91 and later car and just modify what needs to be in the right place? basicaly repin it.. is it a big headache? and why is the 90 so different from other 1g eclipses? when I bought the car I two for 800 bucks but the 2nd car a doner was a turbo fwd auto and the harness along with the sensors is different in a thousand ways. I've looked for a harness on here and talked with guys saying they are parting out there car, even talked to guys who have parts yards but this car is HARD to find. who has a harness and is willing to sell it please, please pm me or send an email if you know who has one or know someone who can help me. my email is [email protected]

90 so different from other 1g eclipses?
Different ECU for starters .... '91 is when they did some small changes to 'cure' up what the '90's were known for, thus it required a different harness and ECU assembly.

others may chime in on what can be done to get you on the road ...

I have about 8 different guys that I know of that are selling 1990 harnesses. I just replaced mine. I'll PM you the names of the people who have harnesses. There's also one guy I contacted on craigslist who has one.

Changing harnesses is kind of a pain. Not the worst thing I've done on a DSM, but still...a pain.

Oh, and if you want to use a 1991 harness in a 90 car, you need to do the following...

if using a 1990 ECU with a 91+ harness you need to swap pins 6 & 14, and remove pin 109 from the connector so that the tach will work.

if using a 1991 ecu you need to swap out the cluster.

if using a 91 harness you need to swap to the 91+ throttle body/tps/iac

to use the 91 throttle body you also need to swap to the 91+ fuel rail

swap to 91+ CAS

swap to 91+ PT and coil.

On the interior part of the harness there's a plug near the passenger kick panel that you have to trim off two tabs.

In the end, it's much easier to swap a 90 car harness out to another 90 harness.

I have a 91+ cluster, ecu and all the sensors and I have a complete dash harness to convert the car. but i don't have a 91+ engine harness, my parts car was a gst but with a auto trans. just seemed like a real pain because you can't get complete wiring diagrams on the internet. i have the pinout chart and it says what pin goes to what sensor but no wire color or routing. some one posted that mitsu changed all of the problems the 90 had in 91 what were some of those problems besides the one im having with the insulation on the wires? this car was just a project I always wanted a awd dsm to add to my collection, other cars I have and built are.. 95 240sx with a rb26, 97 accord coupe w-a jdm h22, 98 integra gsr, 97 rhd supra turbo. the dsm is the only car to give me fits, it's just a$$ backwards!

The dash harness is not necessary to do the swap.

You need to get a factory service manual. You can find them on ebay sometimes pretty cheap. Or, they are located here; http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/fre...tions/344490-download-1g-service-manuals.html You'll find all the info you need in those manuals as far as electical goes.

Wiring problems? No. That's not true. The only things changed between harnesses was the types of plugs used. No "better quality" wiring was used in the 91+. In fact, there were no problems with the 1990 harness or configuration.

I have a buddy here in Germany that I recently sold my 90 Talon Tsi to and he desperately needs to find a 90 harness for that car. If someone could PM me and let me know where I could find one I would greatly appreciate it!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back