The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

1G 140amp Alternator Install Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greekgodchaos

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 4, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
Hi, I just picked up a freshly rebuilt 140 amp alternator for my 1g, So far I have replaced the stock ground wires with new ground straps in the stock locations, as well as a 6awg wire ground the alternator to the frame. Are the 2 white power wires going to the 80amp fuse, which i have replaced with a 140amp fuse (Is that okay?), sufficient enough for the new output?

Current is like a rope. It can't be pushed, only pulled. If your car was not blowing the 80 amp fuse and you have not added any additional accessories that would draw more current (audio equipment, LED light bar, etc etc) then the original 80 amp fuse would be fine. The larger alternator may be rated for 140 amp but that is the maximum not necessarily what it will do all the time as the voltage regulator will still maintain 14.3V or whatever on the positive terminal. In my opinion I would stick with the 80 amp fuse as going with a much larger fuse than necessary would mean a short, depending on severity, may not blow the fuse at all.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back