The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

135mph 16G kill shot

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I agree regarding the "laying rubber." To be honest, your ET is more imressive for your weight and config (fwd) than your mph.

I was talking to Shane about this earlier. This car has been one tough sob to get to hook. I'm now on a 26x10 m&h at 6psi. That's what it took to get my 1.60. We think the light weight is starting to take a toll. The one thing that hasn't changed a bunch is the weight distribution. I balance it to a 70/30 front rear weight. The car makes forward progress with every mod but it's taken a lot longer to see results with a few steps back.

I bring this up since my awd I got into the 1.3s with ease. My buddies 16g awd on 225-45-17 drag radials would consistantly cut low 1.5s. We where shooting for that 1.49 but haven't finished yet. I also had an awd I played with that was like 90-95% stock that I got down to the mid 1.6s on radials. So playing the hook game isn't anything new to me. The fwd part kinda is even though I've had and raced this car since 2001. I'm just now getting into the good stuff.

I am with you Justin. I live in Denver and when we were at the track three weeks ago the DA was 8400ft. Phil lives and races at sea level. Those people will never understand unless they attempt to race in the clouds. I have raced in virginia, texas and maryland and I assure anyone reading this, your car is definitely slower as the altitude and DA increase. I have raced back to be with no changes to a car and was .8 seconds slower here in Denver. I have real world experience so I know what it does.

Glad you think you know something.

I race at 600'.

Not 6000', but, not sea level.

I've lived in Colorado Springs. I remember how the timing needed to be bumped in my GTI for the car to have any throttle response.

I know what happens to power as cars race up Pikes Peak.

Never argued that.

Thanks.

Guys Phil's point is that we ALL know a lower elevation CAN make a faster car. So why talk about it after every drag run night? Just run and make comments on other things instead of the widely known fact that he is at a high altitude.
Wanna do a better? Just go to a lower track. If you can't, then do runs where you can and comment on things that you could change with your setup instead of just getting a good run in and going "I would have been faster at a lower alt track". We all know that. In a way its like saying you could be faster with NOS.

Basically what Phils means.
Not trying to make a big argument, but in a way I'd side with Phil. Because I think I'd rather here someway you think you could better your setup than going lower alt.

That sums it up pretty well actually...

Final round was me and the awd civic. I treed him with the .008 reaction and out launched him with a 1.60 to a 1.65. That run he didn't stand a chance LOL.

You guys Aparently don't read the crap I'm posting. I've never complained about the track I run. Seems like Phil has an issue with what I'm doin.

Untrue. Has nothing to do with what you're doing, or what you've accomplished.

Unfortunately, you remind me of a few guys, one in particular, that ran hard, but always downplayed his accomplishment to make it seem as if it wasn't a max effort.

I'll just leave it there. It's only my interpretation anyway.

It doesn't matter because my car is collecting dust on jackstands.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Congrats again Justin. I enjoy following your progress with the car, so thanks for posting. I'm with all the people that hate when someone lists a bunch of disclaimers after a pass. If I hear about a car that "wasn't turned up" one more time I'm going to shit. WTF are you bothering with racing a half turned up car? But I didn't get that vibe from your post. DA is relevant enough that it's posted directly on the timeslip at many tracks. Being a measurement posted on the slip makes it just as relevant as any other increment on the slip in my opinion. Along with the weight it's definitely useful for comparing numbers with my own car for example.

Bench racing is one thing. Speculation based on testing and measurement is another. It's just another way to process information and come up with new ideas. I do it all the time. The bench racers are the ones that don't go out and test the horseshit they come up with. :) That's my 2 cents anyway.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Congrats again Justin. I enjoy following your progress with the car, so thanks for posting. I'm with all the people that hate when someone lists a bunch of disclaimers after a pass. If I hear about a car that "wasn't turned up" one more time I'm going to shit. WTF are you bothering with racing a half turned up car? But I didn't get that vibe from your post. DA is relevant enough that it's posted directly on the timeslip at many tracks. Being a measurement posted on the slip makes it just as relevant as any other increment on the slip in my opinion. Along with the weight it's definitely useful for comparing numbers with my own car for example.

Bench racing is one thing. Speculation based on testing and measurement is another. It's just another way to process information and come up with new ideas. I do it all the time. The bench racers are the ones that don't go out and test the horseshit they come up with. :) That's my 2 cents anyway.

Keep us posted on your progress.

And this is pretty much how I imagine it when posting. I hear it more at the track I run at since its full of old school racers. They rely on the DA to make small adjustments throughout the day to keep the cars consistent. I have mentioned a few times though about the car and racing at a lower elevation track. But then the second part of your post sums that up

I don't plan on stopping the updates. I finally found a fun and very educational car to race at the track. I always get asked, "why not bolt a bigger turbo on and go faster". My most common answer is " why I just pulled XX.XX time and kicked your ass" But then I have to be nice and explain that its a huge learning curve you don't get with just bolting on a huge turbo. I've been down that road and it just wasn't as fun. This really keeps the mind fresh.

So, correct me if I'm wrong but does that make it the 2nd quickest fwd on the 16g as well? Can't be too sad about holding that position either! :rocks:

That's a pretty good start for the 16G. Started just like the 14B, 1/2 a second away.

Shall I throw in the mix its a black fwd, 16G powered, with rear skinnies, and full front glass car??:tease:

And this is pretty much how I imagine it when posting. I hear it more at the track I run at since its full of old school racers. They rely on the DA to make small adjustments throughout the day to keep the cars consistent. I have mentioned a few times though about the car and racing at a lower elevation track. But then the second part of your post sums that up

I don't plan on stopping the updates. I finally found a fun and very educational car to race at the track. I always get asked, "why not bolt a bigger turbo on and go faster". My most common answer is " why I just pulled XX.XX time and kicked your ass" But then I have to be nice and explain that its a huge learning curve you don't get with just bolting on a huge turbo. I've been down that road and it just wasn't as fun. This really keeps the mind fresh.

That's a pretty good start for the 16G. Started just like the 14B, 1/2 a second away.

Shall I throw in the mix its a black fwd, 16G powered, with rear skinnies, and full front glass car??:tease:

And don't forget to mention "on a Friday". :tease:

Although I've never been down the large turbo road, making consistent gains on a small platform and putting down impressive times seems much more enjoyable to me.

I agree. I like making noticeable gains on a small frame turbo, trying to squeeze the best times/trap speeds out of the setup. My old local 1/8th mile was a Mustang (muscle car) track and when I showed up to race I had my hood popped for tech. I'll never forget the group of Mustang guys walking by investigating everything under the hood of my car then, after a few seconds I hear "stock", and they continued walking the pits.

Makes me happy to think that the average person could think a stock DSM run's 7.5 1/8ths over 100mph on street tires. LOL

:dsm:

My friends with domestics have taken to an understanding of DSMs that goes like this: "If it sounds healthy, its slow - it's the ones that sound broken you should look out for"

Congrats man! Really like to see a pass at 1000ft or less DA. Makes me want to pull more weight out of mine (2650# w/driver). I might have to step up my game to hang you :)

Congrats man! Really like to see a pass at 1000ft or less DA. Makes me want to pull more weight out of mine (2650# w/driver). I might have to step up my game to hang you :)

I said that about you. It may be good mph but im still down .4 ET. You hold the record :thumb:

Around here they just think, "It's a 4 cylinder? You don't have a CHANCE!!!!" Lol. I love to disappoint them :)

My friends with domestics have taken to an understanding of DSMs that goes like this: "If it sounds healthy, its slow - it's the ones that sound broken you should look out for"

Boy ain't that the truth! Im glad more people dont know that though :sneaky:

They think exactly what v8's_are_slow just said... 4 cylinder, HA you don't stand a chance.... Then they're staring at your tail lights during a run :p

Some v8 people are cool. The ones that are gutsy enough to say something about 4cyl being slow are ignorent at best. Typically think there 14 sec carmao makes 400hp..

Some v8 people are cool. The ones that are gutsy enough to say something about 4cyl being slow are ignorent at best. Typically think there 14 sec carmao makes 400hp..

Tyler thats why its so fun to go to the track! With your 16g car you will just blow the doors off a 400 HP Comaro or what ever. Its just funny! These guys think HP is all that matters. There is alot more to a race car than HP #s

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back