The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

.100 bore???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laserfire45

Probationary Member
Jan 5, 2005
Diana, Texas
OK, I just bought a new car, went from my wrecked laser to a 91 gsx :rocks: , but the thing is the car description said the bore was .100 over, Ive got experience in boring blocks as my main deal is antique restomods. WTF but .100 over is way excessive WTF .40 over is gettin there.

Do you think it is a typo or in millimeters or what, im lost. :confused:

FURTHER GUESSING...
do you think he meant .010 over bore or a .100 bore. do they even make +.100 bore pistons for a dsm?

PM me please and quickly, I have to get a HG for this car, although I do have a virgin 4G block sittin in my wreck outside w/ 130k and a fresh rebuild, hrmm, but that would just be a PITA.

Last edited by a moderator:
laserfire45 said:
FURTHER GUESSING...
do you think he meant .010 over bore or a .100 bore...do they even make +.100 bore pistons for a dsm? PM me please and quickly, I have to get a HG for this car, although I do have a virgin 4G block sittin in my wreck outside w/ 130k and a fresh rebuild...hrmm...but that would just be a PITA.

Is there any particular reason to not get your tape measure? A $16 Harbor Freight vernier caliper will measure that much difference reliably.

I certainly have never heard of 100 over pistons and rings.

Cheers,
GTM

Well I would put yourself at ease. I know no one else has chimed on the sizes of the cylinder walls, you dont even really need to do math to figure this one out, number one and two cylinders we will use for instance because the other 2 are the going to be the same anyway.

85MM bore, stock 4g63 bores are 8MM apart. now bore the cylinders 1mm over. If you bore 1 and 2, 1mm over that puts the cylinders 2MM (.020)closer together and so on, 89MM bores would put you at zero. or .080, meaning that anything above 89MM the cylinders would become 1.

I'm not using martian math here. Anyone disagree? I don't want to give out false info.. :thumb:

thanks guys, you have put my mind at ease, and made my day much brighter...btw...i havent picked up the car yet, but ill measure it when i pick it up.

I thought you had the car home with the head off. So you are just guessing what the trouble might be.

Cheers,
GTM

laserfire45 said:
OK, I just bought a new car, went from my wrecked laser to a 91 gsx :rocks: , but the thing is the car description said the bore was .100 over, Ive got experiencing in boring blocks as my main deal is antique restomods, WTF but .100 over is way excessive WTF .40 over is gettin there...do you think it is a typo or in millimeters or what, im lost. :confused:
:cry: MODS HELP ME PLEASE, IVE BEEN SEARCHING FORUMS FOR HOURS :cry:

.100 is less than .40 btw. I think your talking about .040 and .010 in which case .010 is just a slight over bore and not very common though some piston companies do that size, maybe stock piston over bore to.

DSMJim said:
.100 is less than .40 btw. I think your talking about .040 and .010 in which case .010 is just a slight over bore and not very common though some piston companies do that size, maybe stock piston over bore to.

I was talking about the .040 over, i didnt even notice that...but .100 is not a typo for me, that is what the guys description said, but i wrote him about it and i am waiting on a reply, but yall have made me see that is absolutely impossible :thumb:

0.020 in = 0.508 mm
0.040 in = 1.016 mm

Maybe he meant 1 mm oversize.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back