The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

2G To bore or not to bore

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timuh60

Probationary Member
Jul 8, 2010
Richmond Hill, Georgia
I just bought a 95 Talon Tsi that needs some head work. I am getting it for my son that is about to start driving so we can fix it up. I am more of a classic car guy as I am dropping an LS engine in my 68 Camaro. Since I am in the engine of the talon, I have decided I am just going to go through the engine and do a total rebuild.

I was planning to do a stock rebuild just to get a good running, reliable car for my son. But I was wondering if I should have the block bored 20 over.

The question is, if I bore, would this require many other mods I have to do to get back to the engine running smooth and reliable? I don’t want to bore if it is going to complicate the build or cause potential problems down the line. I am not expecting my son to be a performance junky just yet.

You need to have it checked by a machine shop to see if the cylinders need to be bored and if so what size, then you would need new pistons and rings. You would not need any other mods, boring the cylinders does not add any significant amount of displacement or increase HP (not like in V8s and classic cars) it only needs to be done to correct out of round , scored or damaged cylinders.

no additional programming will be needed outside stock?

+1 for synthetek's post. Depending on what pistons you use it won't change the compression at all. The car is sure to be modded later so upgrading the pistons now will save a lot of drama later. 2g and Evo 9 pistons work well on 1g rods with little modification. I would also recommend upgrading to 3g lifters now while everything is apart. Lifter tick is annoying.

The amount of displacement gained by boring the cylinders .020 or even up to .060 is negligible. With a the way the air metering system for our cars work, it will take care of any minuscule corrections needed.

Like it's been said, with the 4g63, you bore the cylinders only to clean up the cylinders if they're out of round or damaged. If you want more displacement, you stroke it.

If you want more torque you would want to stroke the motor which needs a stroker rotating assembly. If you want to just keep it a 2 liter and freshed up the internals, get the current bore checked out and buy the next size piston. The machine shop will then bore match to the piston for a near perfect seal (depending on machinist).

Eagle H beam rods are good for 700hp and are very affordable. Pistons of your choice (I choose Mahle). Get the crank checked to be sure it's within spec. If it needs turned find a new one or a good used crank. Other than bolts, gaskets etc. No other tuning is needed for better/stronger bottom end internals.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advise. My first real car was a brand new 92' Eagle Talon. The car was quick and fun. The only problem was I found out the Eagle could fly but it couldn't swim. I was driving a little fast, went into a spin, went airborne and splashed down in a swamp on its side backwards. It was about 4 months old. Fun day.

I didn't know they had swamps on racetracks;):confused: No seriously though I'm glad your still here with us and not on the news as another statistic:D We live and learn god bless!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back