The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Your thoughts on this turbo setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butlar

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 6, 2004
c.b.s, Newfoundland_Canada
Recently came across this turbo setup for sale and was wondering if it's any good or not?. It is titled as a Mitsubishi 24V turbo kit. Meaning it is a mitsu TE06H 24V turbo, a turbo I have not seen used on our cars. It is port matched to a 2g manifold, with a external wastegate flange welded onto it. And a 3" downpipe with the wastegate dump tube integrated into it so it is vented into exhaust and not atmosphere. I inquired about the setup and the reply i got was quite interesting.

" this turbo setup was built by me for my AWD converted 94 mirage. it was built with great care to fit small engine conpartment. much time was spent machining surfaces flat so no gaskets are needed. all bolts are wire tied so nothing can can vibrate loose. the wastegate is HKS. the whole setup is ceramic coated and has glow cherry red many times. the ceramic does not flake off. it was originally a 25g turbo setup. the exhaust housing is 8cm. I ran it (25g) up to around 27psi and ran 10.80 at 129 on pump fuel. I then built a second turbo setup using a gt35r turbo. the 25g turbo was more fun when I look back. it spooled about 500rpm faster than the 35r and just had power that climbed toward redline. never laid down up top. The 24v was found after the kit was removed from car. I sold the 25g because the 24v is far superior wheel. more flow but less wheel weight plus a ported shroud. win win everywhere. it should spool 100-200 rpm faster and flow 5 lbs more. plus it can handle very high pressure ratios . 45psi where the 25g was done at low 30psi. tghe setup was sold to a local freind. he never had the funds to finish his project so the 24v was only run for 20 miles or so. it has not boosted yet. hope that helps answer your questions. this is a really sweet kit that no one else has. i hate to see it not being used. fantastic kit for the money. if you any any other questions fire away."

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. There were pics but cant find them now.

People probably won't be replying to this. No one to my knowledge has used one, successfully, and made any significant power.

You are better off going with a more proven turbocharger for our setups.

seems like a good setup, and he ran the setup on a mirage with a 25G turbo, and this is the same setup, just with the better 24V turbo. There has been a few threads on here mentioning it, but no one who has done it. If anything I would think people would be interested.

price? pics of the setup? going off the description makes it sound good but just sounds good with out a pic.

price was $800 looks decent . dont mind that crapy piece of exhaust pipe

Attachments

• turbokit001.jpg
    turbokit001.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 91
Not doubting what you got for $800 if you're counting the parts total, but there are plenty of proven turbos out there for the same money or less. That same $800 could have bought you a good used HX40, a BEP DSM bolt-on turbine housing, a Punishment o2 housing and a 38mm gate if you found a good enough deal. In fact, there was a clean used 7-blade HX40 on eBay just the other day which ended for $286.51.

If the 24V was such an amazing turbo as the listing states, I feel as though there would be more information on it from other guys who have tried it.

But you see there is no easy bolt on method, this kit seems very unique and I am going to try it, and the guy I got it from is very knowledgeable, so I guess ill see what happens.

I just believe that since it is not even close to a direct bolt on , it has been left in the shadows. The guy was a very reputable seller on ebay, he answered all my questions, no BS or beating around the bush.

In order for a turbo to be proven someone has to try it, many turbos have failed, some have prevailed to be great ex. hx-40 and 35 being the shit now a days, but it was not that long ago no one used these on our cars, not until the BEP housing. Anyway I think the power will be there, mabey a little slower spool, but I'm FWD so this does not matter to me.

I am even more excited because I think no one has even tryed it. Some very successful drift teams have used this turbo on skylines and such so I am very interested to see what I will be able to do with it. But there has to be someone who has used it? come on wise men chime in :).

Last edited:
Thats my turbo kit that I built for the 25g. It worked extremely well in 25g form. No doubt it will work well with the 24v wheel instead. Only one person I know of has actually run the 24v wheel. But he was just kickin it at 18psi on pump gas. Wasnt doing it any justice. It hasnt been tried prior because there has never been an affordable way to get it on these cars. There was a tremendous amount of work put forth to get that 25g on my car. Forget the naysayers. this turbo will kick but if you set the car up right.

hta82, 35r, 24v, 25g
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

60-1, 24v

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back