The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Your most recent welding pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm out of argon :( so depressing and i have a TON of nice stainless and even some aluminumwork tobe done.. i'll get someofmy recent pics uip here soon, i'm not as good as some of yuou but i hold my own.. The most impressive weld in this thread is the stick welded pipe to plate that was done with 308, but the kicker is that it was stick welded and looks as good if not better than a lot of TIG work i see on SS with ER308 rod :D

edit: This here is what i'm talking about.. gawd-damn impressive.. I'd love sometips on stick technique if you don't mind. TO be honest i've been at welding a LOOonng time and can TIG and MIG with results that have had me certs on certain jobs in the past, but i admit i suck at stick welding, just never seen the technique in person to take pointers from,it's all been trial and error with somereading involved but even the books i've had didn't go much into ARC usuage

Well heres some stainless pipe and plate and carbon steel pipe and some aluminum ive been doing at work
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The last one is some stainless i didwith stick welding using the 308rod

I see your getting better paul. You need to work on your wrist control tho to keep it constant.

Kurt you need a steadier hand but not bad.

Thanks, I definitely agree. Only 7 classes in and I feel like I'm getting better every class. Give me a year and let me see if I can't hod the torch stedier :thumb:

ThaNks glenn, I run it just like a nice steadily dragged 7018 right above the puddle. Its stainless on stainless, I welded my exhaust with 308 at 15 amps with my new maxstar. If you can run 7018 308 is no different. Just metal thicknesses vary with the heat range so that should be easy to pick up thinking of it that way. Give it a shot and post some pics.

. The most impressive weld in this thread is the stick welded pipe to plate that was done with 308, but the kicker is that it was stick welded and looks as good if not better than a lot of TIG work i see on SS with ER308 rod :D

edit: This here is what i'm talking about.. gawd-damn impressive.. I'd love sometips on stick technique if you don't mind.

That one is very impressive, I can't believe how little splatter there is.

NIce welding guys!!

I have been thinking about taking classes for this and other fabrication but I do not know where to start.

Also, what kind of careers can this lead into if anyone knows and would they be good paying jobs?? Any input is appreciated !

Havne't done aluminum in awhile. 2 of these were done with 3/32 lanthanted and 2 were done with 3/32 thoritated. The beads with the thoritated seemed to come out to more of a chromeish color. I also wire brushed and sprayed acetone and still got black spots or dirty welds. Aluminum is a pain in the ass!

I got some good results last night, but my issue is I don't know how to tie my beads together so it looks like 1 continuous bead.

These ^^ welds above I took to a belt sander and sanded them smooth. Figured an oil catch can and coolant overflow hold minimal pressure if any so it should be fine.

Started making a catch can

Getting better, but as soon as you have 1 tiny mess up it ruins the rest of the weld :(

some open root purge pipe welding at work and nipples

Wanted to try something different over a big gap and this is what I came up with for "tying" the two welds together ha.

Catch can done

Looks good but from my lack of experience it looks like too little amps and too much filler around the edges?

Gamble. Next time you weld a corner joint just burn the corner off. Add very little wire.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back