The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Your most recent welding pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Some of those welds look better than a few pieces I've had welded and paid for man, NICE! :thumb:

:dsm:

Thanks a lot man! I like positive feedback! I'm hoping to get my own welder soon so I will be able to practice that much more.

With the debate regarding purging and full penetration welds occurring - I want to share an example of how sanitary welds are performed on process piping in the industry. I understand this is not automotive specific but the weld techniques are easily carried over.

The weldment if performed correctly will be nearly as strong as the parent material. The below procedure is how the majority of all welds are performed in the food & pharmaceutical industry.

42 Amps
17 flex head torch on Miller Maxstar 150
Back purge of 5 cfh
Standard gas lens, #8 cup, 3/32 2% thoriated tungsten

304L 16ga. 3" tubing

Walking cup in 5G position. Weld is polished post cooling.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Clean welds code4, thats why i love the maxstar 150, can do really thin metals and still throws down on thick metals. Heres a little. 3/8 carbon steel pipe to stainless plate (10 gauge)

Evo3 split dump..

Code4.. U use just regular 304L? And do u use a gas lense or just a normal cup

With the debate regarding purging and full penetration welds occurring - I want to share an example of how sanitary welds are performed on process piping in the industry. I understand this is not automotive specific but the weld techniques are easily carried over.

The weldment if performed correctly will be nearly as strong as the parent material. The below procedure is how the majority of all welds are performed in the food & pharmaceutical industry.

42 Amps
Back purge of 5 cfh

304L 16ga. 3" tubing

Kudo's to you sir!! That is some fine skills you have there. . .

On a side note. . . Do you mind if I make love to these pics?

Code4.. U use just regular 304L? And do u use a gas lense or just a normal cup

304L or 316L depending on what the specification calls for.

Check above the last set of pictures, I have the full weld spec listed.

Kudo's to you sir!! That is some fine skills you have there. . .

On a side note. . . Do you mind if I make love to these pics?

Thank you! And be my guest haha!

Some tig I did last night. .040 aluminum.

Got a little dirty right at the end. But for 3/4 weeks of tig, I won't complain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some tig I did last night. .040 aluminum.

Got a little dirty right at the end. But for 3/4 weeks of tig, I won't complain.

Not bad at all, but you should try something thicker.
Here is my latest catch can, still in the works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just goofing with some 304 stainless 1/8" thick strips. Got bored thought id show some of my skill as well.

Attachments

• 2012-10-12_11-52-12_415.jpg
    2012-10-12_11-52-12_415.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 150

42 Amps
Back purge of 5 cfh

304L 16ga. 3" tubing

You, sir, are a bionic welding robot. Seriously it looks like it was robo TIG'd, that is beautiful. I know I could never do that even with all the practice in the world, my hands aren't steady enough. Glad i saw your work and wish you were my welder.

Hey guys not sure how many of you are on facebook or not but theres a page called fabrication life they post all kinds of cool stuff on there. On welding and fabricating related. Check it out

This might be a bit off topic, if so just let me know or shoot me a pm. But how did most of you get into welding? I am wanting to start out since my current job isnt working out.

Any tips for a noobasurous welder?

This might be a bit off topic, if so just let me know or shoot me a pm. But how did most of you get into welding? I am wanting to start out since my current job isnt working out.

Any tips for a noobasurous welder?

I got started just buy going to school. There are many schools that offer it. If school isn't an option see if there is a shop that is willing to teach you, like an apprenticeship or something. Someone is usually willing to teach. You may just need to cover materials.

Look up your local community college. They will undoubtedly have welding certification courses, which you'll need if you want to do it professionally. Welders make decent pay, and if you are independent and start a fabrication business, you can make a lot. Welding is one of the jobs that you will never have to worry about job security, as there is always a need for it... And if you're a little crazy, like scuba diving, and are willing to accept seriously dangerous conditions for a ton of money, you can learn underwater welding. They make 6 figure incomes, but the career life expectancy of underwater welders is less than 10 years. Most retire before 5 years, providing no accidents make it sooner than that. I was taking the classes to do underwater construction and demolition in Virginia Beach when I was in the military. After seeing just how dangerous it could get at the Newport News Shipbuilding facility (they are the company that builds Nimitz class aircraft carriers), I decided I would probably live a lot longer on dry land...

Yeyeah I don't think I would do too well underwater. But our local college doesn't offer it. We have a vocational school that offers a whole year course for 8k but it does not cover TIG. I looked into lincoln electric in cloveland ohio though. They seem tohave some good courses, two of which are motorsport specific.

Yeyeah I don't think I would do too well underwater. But our local college doesn't offer it. We have a vocational school that offers a whole year course for 8k but it does not cover TIG. I looked into lincoln electric in cloveland ohio though. They seem tohave some good courses, two of which are motorsport specific.

My current instructed went to Lincoln years and years ago. He said it is the ONLY school anyone should go to if you are looking to weld as a career. He said don't even waste your time with other schools.

Not to be taken out of context. Some people just want to learn just to do some of their own stuff. And if that is all you want to do, then spending the money on a high end school isn't necessary. Lincoln is a great option if you want to make it a career.

EVO3 custom cooler pipes, ported stock mani, custom split dump, custom alloy air box

3rd front diff trans failure so I MIG welded the pin in after preheating the cast housing.

Jon at TRE was giving me some ideas and tips to help the center diffs and this is what I did for a test. MIG welded after preheating the cast housing.

All welds done with a Millermatic 90, solid core .30, argon. This is my 1st time ever welding anything cast. I'm best with a TIG and stainless.

I hope you meant 0.030 wire! Otherwise that is some serious filler :p

Looks good man. What did you use to preheat? Propane? Post heat/controlled cool down at all? I have never worked on cast material either...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back