The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Would a 95 automatic GSX transmission work in a 97 automatic transmission?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 18, 2010
Boston, Massachusetts
Like the title states (and I couldn't find the answer by searching) would it fit? I need to know as I might move on some parts. Is it the same transmission part number or different, and any other pieces I would need? Thanks guys!:rocks:

If your switching the complete transmission you also need the transfer case. Ratios are different from 95 to 97. Went through this when I put a 95 trans/transfer case in my 97. Otherwise its a bolt in.

If your switching the complete transmission you also need the transfer case. Ratios are different from 95 to 97. Went through this when I put a 95 trans/transfer case in my 97. Otherwise its a bolt in.

So I will need the transfer case. Will the Transmission shift well, or will it be off?

Did you have a thread for this? I am thinking of getting the transmission, but need to make sure

A) IT would bolt up and work
B) If it would work, what I would need.

All input appreciated; thanks!:rocks:

The individual gear ratios are the same, it's just the transfer ratio to the rear that is different.

The individual gear ratios are the same, it's just the transfer ratio to the rear that is different.

What do you mean by the transfer ratio being different? Would getting the 95's transfer case solve this? :hmm:

So if I get the full transmission, torque converter, and transfer case, would I be set? :thumb:

What do you mean by the transfer ratio being different? Would getting the 95's transfer case solve this? :hmm:

So if I get the full transmission, torque converter, and transfer case, would I be set? :thumb:

look at it this way, a 95 is 2+2=4 a 97 is 3+1=4 so no matter which component you switch they will not equal to 4 unless they are of the same years(95-95, 97-99).

Rear diff ratio stays the same.

I have never heard of them changing the ratios on the automatics, only the manuals :ohdamn:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back