The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Wiring for Talon taillights on eclipse

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schwebe101

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
Defiance, Ohio
Hey guys, I know there are multiple threads about rewiring the Talon tails on an eclipse, but I couldn't find the answer to my question. I have the Talon sitting right in my garage, so could I just steal the taillight and flashers wiring from it and put in on the eclipse? I'm not the best at all when it comes to wiring haha. Sorry if it is a stupid question!

Thanks!
Schwebe

You are going to need the bumper also for it to fit and look right. Wiring it up is easy, the plug is the same, but the eclipse has the reverse lights going to the bumper as where the talon has them in the light. You will just have to run the wire from the reverse lights to the light plug.

You are going to need the bumper also for it to fit and look right. Wiring it up is easy, the plug is the same, but the eclipse has the reverse lights going to the bumper as where the talon has them in the light. You will just have to run the wire from the reverse lights to the light plug.

Well I have everything I need, including all the bumpers. Sounds easy enough though! Thanks!

I believe you have to do more than that. Sorta like wiring in EDM tail lights. The issue will be getting the Amber turn signal to function properly.

In my research on wiring my EDM tails, I learned that the Talon harness is identical to the EDM eclipse tail light wiring. I would assume the swap would have to be wired the same.

What's NEW in the World of JPLGSX Homepage

That is the link I am referring to. I could be wrong, but it would be difficult for me to believe that the amber light will function properly. Feel free to correct me.

EDIT: I searched around and came up with this link

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/app...talon-tail-conversion-tail-light-wireing.html

I did the exact opposite, Talon > Eclipse taillights. Just pay attention to what you've got and have the wiring diagram in front of you. If you have basic electrical knowledge then you should be able to wire it together. Just take your time, do it right with heat shrink to prevent future problems!

I believe you have to do more than that. Sorta like wiring in EDM tail lights. The issue will be getting the Amber turn signal to function properly.

In my research on wiring my EDM tails, I learned that the Talon harness is identical to the EDM eclipse tail light wiring. I would assume the swap would have to be wired the same.

What's NEW in the World of JPLGSX Homepage

That is the link I am referring to. I could be wrong, but it would be difficult for me to believe that the amber light will function properly. Feel free to correct me.

EDIT: I searched around and came up with this link

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/app...talon-tail-conversion-tail-light-wireing.html

You are for the most part correct, if you plug the plug directly into it it works, but it will turn on the amber bulb with the brakes and turn signal. I just went and examined the harness's close and plugged the talon light into my eclipse. IT is slightly different than the edm eclipse lights though. On the edm lights is uses the socket that isn't connected to the main harness for the turn signal (amber lens). So you have to run the signal wire to that separate plug. The talon uses that as a side marker and brake light, so you will have to run one wire from the brake signal to that plug. From there it will be removing the brake signal wire from the turn signal like indicated in the link. You can either run a separate wire for the brake signal, or run it from the center brake light harness as indicated.

Ahhh okay, so it shouldn't really be that complicated. I would rather do this little wiring for the tail light than fix all the messed up wiring in my Talon -.-

your reverse lights you have to cut and extend to fit the eclipse bumpers, well at least on mine i had to, and the other lights fit only in a certain spot but will fit exactly right in no problems on the eclipse ones, keep in mind also you have to remove all three upper bumper mounting brackets and put them back in the correct spots for the eclipse, i just riveted mine back on

Ive got some talon tail lights i can buy is there any harnesses i shpuld take other then the lights ad bulbs themselves? I want all the lights to function properly the reverse lights seem simple enough but not seperating the turns

I plugged in my talon tails and have a few issues that i can't find in this cluster#### of talon conversion threads

I plugged in one talon tail just to see what woukd happen and here it is just like brian said.

1. No reverse lights (havent wired it from the gsx bumper ones yet

2. The running lights are the reds is this normal or are the ambers normally running lights?

3. Amber lights come on when break pedal is depressed

4. Amber turn signals worj but flash rapidly as if there was a bumb out.

How can i switch the wires to have the break signal change from the ambers to the reds? I'll post pics

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Breaks on

Running lights on. outside light not plugged in yet (using eclipse oem light)

Turn signal on with running lights but flashes like one of the eclipse bulbs is burnt out (because talon turn only uses one bulb)

If anyonr has a wiring diagram or could point me in the right direction It'd be greatly appreciated

For refrence here is what i have for both tail lights
I have the pigtail from the talon where my finger is pointing also.

I'll also add my gsx is a 99 and the talon I got these lights from is a 97 so both 2gb and a little different then what the link up there said about when you try and plug and play.

I guess the only things i need to figure out are:
1. Make break signal light go in the red section where running lights are
2. Making the turn signals not flash rapidly as if a bulb is burnt out.

And question for bryan wheat. Running the break signal from the 3rd, wouldnt that create wires hanging betwrrn your hatch door and tail lights?

Need diagram, dont even know what wires are what.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone give me clear directions so i can do a write up the proper way.

You want a write up so you can do a write up.... ROFL

Tell ya what, figure it out on your own. With that kind of underlying bullshit, I don't feel like helping you at all.

It was one 13 page thread with over 350 posts all about the Eclipse to Talon conversion that I provided links to specific posts in that outlined what you must do to swap the lights. I provided a outline so you could use some common sense and understand the basics of what you are trying to do before diving into a multi-page electrical write up that is almost identical to the EDM swap. Had you actually considered for just a moment that what I had provided you with was what you were after rather than giving me some shit attitude, you wouldn't be asking stupid questions or making stupid comments wondering why your ambers come on with your brake lights, why the ambers blink fast, or (the most absurd) if the ambers are running lights. Seriously, have you ever seen a single car, DSM or not that has amber running lights on in the rear?

There is a reason there is no diagram out there. It's not unbelievably wide spread knowledge. Those that have done this swap and have used the resources on this site properly have likely used the EDM conversion as a guide and figured out the very minor difference without a problem.

You are asking for someone to hold your hand and spoon feed you everything. Had you not been such an ass, I would have been willing to pull my interior panels and give you the information. Instead, I don't feel like helping someone who gives me grief when I've clearly tried to help them. Enjoy your hyper blinkers in your butchered mess.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back