The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

winter has not been kind to the DSM

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crimsondragon

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 17, 2006
East Brunswick, New_Jersey
Picture says it all. I don't even have a clue or where to begin on how something like this happens. Downpipe, oil pan, and everything else within the vicinity is fine except being coated by the grease. Also, it has a lot more up and down play than the last time I checked it. I checked the CV boot on the same halfshaft and it's in better shape than this boot even though it still has a rip in it. I don't even have the tools to begin taking that axle nut off due to the rust on it. What should I do?

Which axle is that? And is it the inboard or outboard joint? I would just get a boot kit for both joints before the axle goes bad.

Excess boost pressure...Definitely. LOL

J/K. Maybe you ran over something and sliced it. Not sure but that is nasty. :barf:

I guess you could just get a new boot maybe and grease it back up. Not sure as I'm not knowledgeable in the axle field. Anything else look damaged.

:dsm:

^Woop! Not fast enough.

Driver side inboard. Looks like something ate my boot. Outboard boot is going too. I was thinking of replacing the whole axle now. I don't know how long I have ran it like that. I haven't been under the car since I put the front lower tie bar on which was in October. It could very well have been running like this as early as late October. Don't know what kind of damage has been done already. Also it has a lot more play than before.

Looks like the boot just died of old age. They tent to flake apart like that eventually.

Replace the axle if you want, but usually it's the outboard axle that you have to worry about going bad and clicking etc. But first, what do you mean by "play"? Where is there play?

I can grab the axle and move it up and down about 1/8th". On the phone with JNZ now to see what it'll cost.

Based on the amount of grease that has been lost and the road conditions this time of the year I think the probability that water/debris has gotten into the joint is pretty high. So I would recommend replacing the axle. It's pretty easy and a whole lot less messy than cleaning out the joint and repacking it with grease. It would suck to do all that and then find out that the joint is failing anyway.

An impact wrench would help tremendously with removing the axle nut. You can also try a breaker bar with a 32mm socket (I think that's the size that you need). Let me know if you want more tips on getting that sucker off.

So the outside boot looks bad too? If so just replace the whole axle. An impact gun will make quick work of the axle nut, but maybe you don't have access to one.:toobad:

Nasty! Similar thing just happened to my DSM in the same spot. I'm awaiting funds to fix it. Care to let us know how much JNZ is asking for?
They quoted me between $250-$500 depending on the labor involved to get the hub and axle separate. They definitely know what up's with the damn 2gs and the frozen hubs. ROFL
They quoted me $300 for a new OEM axle and about $100 total to just refit the boots on. They recommended me Raxles. Made an appointment with them but the price is just a bit too high. Neighbor told me of a shop that can do it and does great work and hooks him up. I was quoted $150. I don't think they have a clue about the hub and axle.
Based on the amount of grease that has been lost and the road conditions this time of the year I think the probability that water/debris has gotten into the joint is pretty high. So I would recommend replacing the axle. It's pretty easy and a whole lot less messy than cleaning out the joint and repacking it with grease. It would suck to do all that and then find out that the joint is failing anyway.

An impact wrench would help tremendously with removing the axle nut. You can also try a breaker bar with a 32mm socket (I think that's the size that you need). Let me know if you want more tips on getting that sucker off.
No impact or a 32mm socket. I'm having a friend take on the challenge of removing the axle nut since he has the tools.
So the outside boot looks bad too? If so just replace the whole axle. An impact gun will make quick work of the axle nut, but maybe you don't have access to one.:toobad:

The outside isn't bad. It has a small tear and flings oil. Not as bad the the inboard where it's missing a chunk. I'm thinking I should replace the axle. I really don't like that play I'm feeling.

Getting that axle nut off the first time is the pits. Use a cheater bar. Those boot kits are very temporary, so if you use one of those, don't plan on it lasting a very long time.

Damn... dsm axles suck... I have to replace mine very soon and a wheel bearing... for some reason, my right rear axle keeps popping out of the diff and its too cold to work on the car now.... GOOD LUCK!!!

Damn... dsm axles suck... I have to replace mine very soon and a wheel bearing... for some reason, my right rear axle keeps popping out of the diff and its too cold to work on the car now.... GOOD LUCK!!!

Im betting the c-clip on the end of the axle broke and is now just chillin in your diff. Hapend to my friends 3kgt vr4. We just took a clip off another axle and retrofited it to fit.:sneaky: To the op I would just call up a parts store for that axle. Mine were only about $60 ea.

... To the op I would just call up a parts store for that axle. Mine were only about $60 ea.

You probably got remanned ones. Or some "Made In China" ones. They weren't OEM. For most people, the remanned ones will work fine.

Anyone think it'll be safe to drive till this Friday when I take it to JNZ? I need to get to school and back with it. :(

If it doesn't click when you go straight it will be fine. Don't launch it, and try to be as smooth as you can.

Spyder gt's don't do shit in the winter time, i fond this out, i got stuck 5 time last winter.

If you don't know when the boot/boots broke don't bother putting on a new boot. Even if you clean the grime/dirt/water that's in there chances are sooner or later its gonna go bad and start clicking again.

If for example you work on your front end and somehow tear the boot while working then you can go and get a replacement boot and put it on since no dirt/water/grime got in there.

Rebuilt axles from regular parts store are $50 each. They usually charge you $100 and you get the $50 back when you return your old axle back.

I always do the axles my self on all the car's I've owned. The first one was the hardest one but after that its a piece of cake. Get yourself a manual and do it yourself.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back