The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

How reliable has your DSM been?

Are DSM's a reliable car? Rate it 10 is high

Votes: 100 11.3%

Votes: 73 8.2%

Votes: 183 20.6%

Votes: 180 20.3%

Votes: 86 9.7%

Votes: 93 10.5%

Votes: 65 7.3%

Votes: 30 3.4%

Votes: 21 2.4%

Votes: 57 6.4%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I measured the seafoam exactly as explained on the bottle for the oil capacity of these engines. Wasn't an idiot and just dump the can in there like most people do. I did it with an oil change so it was fresh Mobile One oil and a fresh Mobile One filter. No it was not overfull either. The engine had about 40k on it when I did the seafoam treatment. I just wanted to run a clean cycle through it.

Wow that is really unfortunate; sorry to hear bout that happening.

So what did you end up doing to remedy the situation? You still have the same 7 bolt, or did you go 6 bolt or what?

I measured the seafoam exactly as explained on the bottle for the oil capacity of these engines. Wasn't an idiot and just dump the can in there like most people do. I did it with an oil change so it was fresh Mobile One oil and a fresh Mobile One filter. No it was not overfull either. The engine had about 40k on it when I did the seafoam treatment. I just wanted to run a clean cycle through it.

With only 40k miles on it, this car must have sat for long periods of time? I mean mine has 186K on the clock, and it's even had a couple years of down time. So I wonder if your seal got dried out from sitting? Only 40k? How could it not be left sitting often with that low of miles?

well im my opinion i think that almost any car you start modifying at some point starts to become unreliable luckily for me not yet :hellyeah:

All mine have been pretty good. Non of them has left me stranded any were. They are all built cars.
My D.D. 1995 evo 3 is very built up and drive it year round. The only problem with it is the mini battery is dieing because of the cold. The wife even drives a built 4g63 89 mirage turbo as a d.d. in the summer and a 92 talon in the winter

So far my car has 61,xxx on the chassis...
Rebuilt motor with 180 on it now....
At 150 miles the factory crank sensor went out...Put in a new one
drive for 30 miles crank sensor went out again....

put a 6 bolt swap wiring harness in as well as a black top cas....starts runs and drives again....But unfortunately car will never see the snow....I dont need it to rust LOL

I know OP said boosted DSMs mainly, but I've got 180k on my 420a and it's never left me stranded bad enough that couldn't make it home in it. It's only been inoperable for maybe 2 weeks time total in the 2 years I've had it (including down time for installing parts). It's been incredibly reliable with an oil change and tune-up and gaskets when needed. plus I get 35+ mpg. I also agree with the guys that say if you want reliable then don't build a high horsepower street beast. reliable doesn't come in that package. but when this motor finally goes, I'll put something in it that's not as reliable I'm sure, then it'll be time to search for a new daily driver haha

I just did 900 miles over last weekend through that wonderful snow storm the northeast had. I didn't even take the tools along. I never have problems that leave me stranded. I might spring an oil leak or have a wheel bearing go bad, but I really can't complain. The car doesn't exactly have low miles.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Rolled past 233,000 miles during that trip. 2-6-2010, 3:35pm. I've put 500 miles on it since then.

If you don't include all the maintenance that is expected with this many miles, it's holding together quite well.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^233k miles on a turbo motor? that's really good. all the odometers on the turbo DSMs I see at pull-a-part stop at 200k. that's very impressive IMO.

The motor isn't the one that came with it. The previous owner never had the timing belt changed and it let go on him at 120k. The shop told him that he needed a new engine, so they put a used one in. I have no clue how many miles are on the engine. At least 110k.

as far as engine goes.....2nd turbo.....and im in the process of replacing my harmonic dampner which split on me (132,000 miles) thats about it aside from the oil dipstick which the plastic handle broke on me...fixed it with gorilla glue. Other flaws....both door handles broke and my third brakelight bracket broke. and i have a problem with my climate control switch....only works on defrost/feet....dont care enough to fix it.....this thread is old and i didnt realize it til now.

my white 2g is about to cross 140k miles on it and I've had absolutely zero problems with her so far. I've done as much maintenance as I can think of to her. Biggest job I've done on her so far is change the driver's side axle because of a torn boot, other than that, no biggies, change the oil every 2k miles and she purrs like a pretty kitty.

I know this is old, but i feel like i am the ONLY person on tuners who has not contributed my reliability feedback. I bought a 97 n/t eclipse that had 166,000 miles on it with a body kit, exhaust, and intake. I knew i was buying a whored out POS but it was my first car and i was 18 and tired of 1 having no car and 2 having nothing to work on. Got it, changed the oil and plugs and whatnot and drove it probably harder than 90% of the people on here have driven their cars. I put over 20k on it in the year that i owned it without a single problem other than a front ball joint squeaking. And i mean i drove the piss out of the car. I would have driven it ANYWHERE.

My 2g is at 168k. Ran really good for a while.

Now it is leaking PS fluid, and refuses to idle without shaking crazily.
Time to get this bad boy in the shop. It is a beautiful car.

I think these cars can be reliable. I think they get a bad rap due to having been owned previously by young (often broke) drivers, who rigged them up with cheap mods, drove them hard and generally just ignored basic maintenance.

Even with all of the many problems my GSX had when I bought it, it still ran and hasn't stranded me anywhere yet. With a lot of elbow grease and a little money, it is now a nice, smooth running and reliable car.

I agree with everything this thread has said. if you take care of your DSM, it will treat you well. Mine will cross 160K on my way home from work today (its about 25 miles from the mark). When i got it, it had its fair share of problems but it was due to the previous owners neglect and rigging up that made it start to go down hill. Since i have owned it, i replaced alot of the suspension and stuff that they let go and it runs very well. I have a slight squeak on one of my belts but i believe its the belt tensioner wanting to go which i will replace here soon.

Keep up on the oil, coolant, and belts and it will last. but still expect those small mishaps

224,3xx and counting on my 99. I drive it 82 miles a day 5 days a week for work plus whatever other running around I do. I bought it at 178K and have done little things like a lower ball joint, crank pulley, alternator... but I'd say my car is pretty darn reliable. Pic taken a few days ago...
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Like all cars you've got to do your tune ups and oil changes when required to maintain dependability, or you end up with expensive problems.

The funny part is after I learned car shit the right way, my 2g has been pretty damn reliable with the exception of the clutch, but the failures I had early in the days was cause I didn't know what the hell I was doing LOL. Since then I have learned alot about preparation, and red lock! LOL.

Like all cars you've got to do your tune ups and oil changes when required to maintain dependability, or you end up with expensive problems.

I do all of that. got any awesome magic tricks for fuel pumps? ecus? what about manifolds??

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back