The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Will these rims fit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hun6over

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 17, 2007
Bayarea, California
Hi, im interested in buying a set of rims but im not sure if they will fit my 97 gs-t spyder. The rim/tire size is 18" with 5x100 & 5x4.5 lug pattern and tires are 215/35. the size of the other set is 17 x 7.5, 5 X 114, tire size 225 40 17. I have no clue so any tips on rims would be great. Thank you very much.

Seeing as the bolt pattern is 5X114.3(4.5) those rims will definately bolt up. The only major differnce is how will the Tire\Rim combo's affect your speedo, either being bigger or smaller than stock. In Turn affecting how acurate the speedo.

Using this site, enter your current tire configurations(rim size, tire size) and then enter either of the other 2 you are looking at, and figure out which set up is closer to stock ratio.

www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

PS. I would have done this for you, but it does not like loading on my lap top.

Mike

Best thing to do after you get oversized wheels/Tires... is to have someone clock you. Have someone drive next to you at 40 while your speedo says 40... or one of those speed sensors that tell you your speed...

I asked a cop that was parked if he could clock me. I set my cruise to 40mph and watched it sit there and the cop clocked me at 41... this was with 17" wheels and 50 series tires... so only a mile off...

Too keep the wheel speed the closest, 18 inch wheels need a sidewall of 40, 17 needs a sidewall of 45.

5x4.5 or 5x114.3 is the bolt pattern on these cars. Another think to look at is the wheels center bore and offset.

With the tire sizes you've mentioned you would have a smaller radius meaning when your tach says 50, you might only be going 45. Drawbacks are more stress on engine, more fuel consumption and inaccurate mileage.

as far as i know there is no 5X114....I'm guessing someone just got lazy and left out the ".3"

most popular 5 lug rims are 5X110 and 5X114. So As far as I know they are the exact same rim size

Mike

5x114.3 will fit. Not familiar with the offset on a prelude, so I cannot help you with that.

225 / 40/ 17 is one size short for these cars. It will fit, but you will have a smaller radius.
XXX / 45 / 17 is the size best suited for 17 inch rims and tire radius.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back