The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Why not to spray MLS headgaskets: Discuss

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug99RS

DSM N/T Wiseman
DSM Wiseman
Nov 10, 2002
Raleigh, North_Carolina
The following information I originally posted as a tech article after having gone to a couple Daimler-Chrysler Training courses for work. Since posting this I've gotten a few PM's and other forms of feedback suggesting that this information, while very detailed and straight from an "authority" on the subject, may not be in the best interest of the 1. the audience reading it on Performance Forums and 2. just may not be in the best interest of ANY engine except the latest and greatest that never had sprayed MLS's in use since day one.

Before jumping on the "Doug's a dumbass" band wagon please note all the other articles I've posted and understand that I've never posted anything that I thought was wrong and to the best of my knowledge I've never had to make a retraction. This however, I feel is not tech article worthy YET AND putting it here will allow for a discussion on the subject rather than a read-only type thread.

The bottom line is I'm being trained to NOT spray headgaskets, of any engine design or era, under any circumstances. If I spray one and it comes back for any reason then the headgasket gets called back for warranty parts claim. If they find the headgasket to be sprayed then they reject our warranty claim and I don't get paid. However, there is the mentallity that many of us share which is this: I've been spraying MLS headgaskets ever since I started and I've never had a failure, why should I change now and risk it?

The article is as follows:

When the Multi-Layer Steel Headgaskets (MLS) first started being used on the Neons and 2gnt's it was also a common practice to spray down the headgasket with a gasket adhesive similar to Copper Coat. Mopar calls their stuff "Gasket Sealant" and every dealership stocked it. However, I recently got back from a Daimler-Chrysler training class in Cam-in-head engines where we discussed the new engine coming out in 07 year models as well as previous engines currently in use. One very suprising bit of information discussed was the use of this spray on MLS gaskets and why it's NOT good to do it.

To help explain things a bit I'll explain why many manufacturers switched to MLS headgaskets in the first place. If you're old enough then you probably remember the days of all cast iron blocks and know that the only reasons why they failed were over-heating, poor design or too much power. Well, things have changed considerable and alot of it has to do with emissions and the design of the average small engine and cramped engine bays.

First there's the emissions side of things. If you've popped the hood on a variety of cars that are ten years old or newer you'll see a growing trend. Less room in the engine bay and where is that ice cold exhaust component that NEVER burns you when you're working around it? The catalytic convertor... it's getting closer and closer to the exhaust manifold isn't it? Heck, some cars have the cat and the exhaust manifold integrated in to one assembly. The idea behind this is that a cat is not up to operating temperature until it reaches about 600 degrees. Cold starts and long idle times tend to be the leading cause of emission problems in the world today. Getting that cat up to proper operating temperature quicker is the only way to reduce those emissions put out at cold starts.

If you move the cat closer to the engine then you can only heat it up quicker. This is a growing trend among car manufacturers who struggle with older engine designs that still fit current market demands but not emission standards. As a result you get the cat closer, the engine bay hotter and alot of components that need to be able to tolerate that heat. Unfortunately, this has raised demands on engine cooling systems to protect the engine from overheating on the cat-side of the block while running cooler on the opposite side. The end result there is big expansion and contraction differences in the cylinder head and block from one side of the combustion chamber to the next.

Next is the composition of the engine itself. Older engines and engine designs used all cast iron. Heavy but dependable and alot more tolerable to heat changes. On all current DSMs and in every other market out there the manufacturers put an aluminum head on a cast iron block. Aluminum cools better, is lighter and still strong. The cast iron block still does all the grunt work of the engine and has to wistand most of the pressure. The headgasket though is frequently the weakest link because it has to transfer the heat from the block to the head as well as withstand the pressure of the combustion cycles. As a result we see more and more failures of these due to extended periods of running hot, excessive combustion chamber pressures and weak spots between various sealing points.

The biggest problems for the 2gnt and chrysler 4 cylinder owners from 95 and up was the temperature change difference between the aluminum head and cast iron block. Accelerated by a cat that was a foot away from the headgasket on the back side, the softer aluminum expanded quicker than the cast iron block and the headgasket was the component in the middle. Being of a composite material it simply rubbed itself to death and began leaking.

So after all this you're probably wondering what's the big deal about an MLS anyways? Well, it moves. WFT??? Why would I want a headgasket that moves? Because it is kind of like multiple headgaskets that still seal when stacked together. When you have two metals that don't expand and contract at the same time you need a gasket the can make the transition without compromising the sealing qualities it's there for in the first place. The layers allow this to happen.

So I've talked about Catalytic convertors heating up the engine bays, Engine metal choices and also the two most common designs of headgaskets. So what about this stupid spray stuff? Well, it's glue. It is pretty cool stuff when you first hear why it was used. Imperfections in the sealing surfaces were sealed up to a certain amount by any good gasket. But this spray stuff seals up another couple of thousandths of an inch which can make the difference between blowing out and not if you've got a slightly warped or pitted head. Ultimately, you want a clean and flat surface but that's not always the case in the shade-tree world of automotive repair.

BBBBBUUUUUUTTTTTT..... Here's the problem. IT'S GLUE!!!! What happens when you glue something? IT DON'T MOVE and that's exactly what we want an MLS headgasket to do. If the bottom side of the gasket is glued to the block and the top is glued to the head then you've only got one or two more surfaces that help that transittion of heat. If you glue it in place then you've just reduced the abilities of a pretty well designed headgasket. So please put down the rattle can and step away!!
Thanks for not falling asleep,
Doug

Wow, great post and topic. I can't wait to see what comes of this, I'm looking for a headgasket and this will surely help me make my decision. From the reading I have done here, most people spray their MLS headgaskets and have no problems. Doesn't that speak for itself?

Speaking from "some" experience (I have been past the cylinder head about 10-12 times), and I have NEVER sprayed a MLS head gasket. I have used composite gaskets as well and never had a problem.

What I do is this:

I never Razor Blade either surface, except to pry up the gasket or any pieces of the gasket.

I then use a 90* die grinder with a Aluminum buffing pad and I clean all the rest of the gasket material of the surface of the head AND block. I have mostly done Cylinder Head installs while the engine was in the car so I recommend red ragging all the cylinders before buffing the block surface.

I take care to protect my NEW headgasket from the time it gets into my possesion until I lay it on the block.

I have used a few MLS's, a Cometic, and numerous composite stock like HG's and never had any issues that I have seen others have.

Guess I been lucky:thumb:

gsxtacy

gsxtacy said:
I have NEVER sprayed a MLS head gasket.
Hey! We're finally in the same thread over here. LOL.

The last three HGs I've used on my 420A were all MLS. The first two were sprayed with copper and did not leak. (First one replaced after cracking a piston and having to take the engine apart. Second one upon installation of ARP head studs due to stockers stretching.) The last time I replaced the gasket, I used a brand new MLS, treated it like a gem from the moment I bought it, and did not unwrap it until the minute I was ready to install it. I had heard some people saying that there was no need to spray an MLS, so I figured I would give that a shot. It started leaking within a month.

So, I dunno. I guess, if I was working on one of those new, World Engines or risked not getting paid if I submitted a HG warranty issue that had been sprayed, I wouldn't spray them, but my personal experience will have me spraying them, albeit with an intentionally lighter coat, from now on. Maybe just on the block side to find a sort of compromise.

I can see both sides of the issue. In a perfect world, with a perfect mill, eight of the nine planets aligned when the sun is in Mercury and a Blue Jay whistling Dixie, there should be no need for the spray, but I never seem to work on my car in a perfect world. (If this was a perfect world, I'd be driving my GVR4 today. ;))

EDIT:
By the way, Kelly. You have 666 posts. Evil.

Wow that was a long note. I think you are saying don't use copper spray because it is glue; the gasket will not move with thermal expansion differences between the block and head.

Keep in mind.... you are not welding the gasket. Copper spray is copper dust held by a film of organic binder (acrylic?). Copper is soft, you may even think of it as a lubricant if sandwiched between two hard surfaces. Organic binders are not strong nor stiff, especially at 210 F.

Some brakes have multi-layer shims between the pad-backing-plate and the caliper-housing. Many times there is an aluminum or copper paste between the shims. Why? It acts as a lubricant at high temp.

I do not have enough data to say use copper spray or not. But the physical properties of copper and organic binders will not "weld" a gasket in place. I say that at operating temperatures they do the exact opposite, lubricate.

Why does the OEM recommend against it? Good question. Maybe they would have to write a three page proceedure to make sure some YO-YO doesn't over-spray into the cylinder walls and combustion chamber.... ruining the ring-seating process.... who knows.

A local engine rebuilding business recommended a light spray on the block. He also recommends against using any hand operated power tools on the head/block surfaces.

I could have sworn I read a TSB from dodge that actually went through the process of finishing the block surface smoother and spraying the headgasket for a better seal. When neons first came out they were hurting headgaskets left and right, and the asnwer was a smoother finish on the parts and mopar gasket spray.

Funny, that is exactly what dsm guys are doing with MLS gaskets and freshly machined blocks.

Thanks for the responses (both here and in other areas). I'm going to consolidate my responses in to this thread so all can see and respond here.

My past practices and personal vehicles contradict my current teachings. I sprayed my Neon (stop laughing) and flog the crap out of it daily with no leaks from the HG. I've sprayed ever MLS from here to eternity on a DCX and NEVER had a problem. So... from all of our professional and unprofessional experiences it really does sound like the ONLY time an MLS leaks (because of the gasket and not warpage, or abuse (as seen by the manufacturer)) is when it is not sprayed. For our applications I feel like that is enough to justify NOT changing our practice of spraying.

Other stuff that has been brought up on both sides include expansion and contraction rate and whether or not the MLS actually moves at all, the movement may be "in the tens of thousandths or less", and head/block surface preparation practices.

To give you some ideas of what ELSE we're being taught that may go along with the expansion and contraction question I'll bring up the new 6.1L Hemi by DCX. The displacement cold is 369 cubic inch. At operating temperature that increases to 371CID. This is a cast iron block with aluminum head and intake. I don't have any other specs on other engines but this is one example of the growth rate of a production engine that won't just exist on the autobahn or in Italy.

As for the "tens of thousandths" movement I do understand that this is just an example and if we had the equipment we could be a bit more precise but the 99 4g63 Cylinder Head is only allowed 0.008" tolerance when checking for flatness. So basically if you have two human hairs stacked together and can fit them between your straight edge and your head then you're supposed resurface the head. Furthermore you're SUPPOSED to only mill off that same two hair's worth of metal. For performance milling we know this isn't always followed but from a flatness purpose is doesn't matter if it's a bone stock head or has half an inch milled the result is going to be a perfectly flat surface when finished.

Finally is the question of which tools are being used to remove old composite material gaskets. Scarey enough it's frequently NOT the correct stuff. Metal scrapers, razor blades, wire brushes, steel wool, Abrasive Discs and certain bristle brushes can remove quite a bit of material. Aluminum is even softer than the cast iron yet some people use abrasive pads that start out removing 0.004". Worse part is that NO ONE can put a perfect finish on something with a die grinder.

The service Bulletin in question is 09-08-99 and was released 11-17-99. It lists 7 different headgaskets as well as the aerosol gasket sealant to be used. It also tells you how to safely remove old composite gasket material, inspect a few things here or there and says "spray both sides of the MLS gasket with a coat of MOPAR spray gasket sealant p/n 04318035." You are right in your thoughts and the TSB does exist. I can't coppy all of it due to copywright infringement but if anyone is able to dig it up on a free-to-copy sight feel free to link to it.

From the 01 Dakota 4.7L service manual regarding engine "form in place gaskets and selaers" I bring you this:

"MOPAR® GASKET SEALANT
Mopar® Gasket Sealant is a slow drying, permanently soft sealer. This material is recommended for sealing threaded fittings and gaskets against leakage of oil and coolant. Can be used on threaded and machined parts under all temperatures. This material is used on engines with multi-layer steel (MLS) cylinder head gaskets. This material also will prevent corrosion. Mopar® Gasket Sealant is available in a 13 oz. aerosol can or 4oz./16 oz. can w/applicator. "

Interesting Finds:
http://besttop.ru/cat12994031/page-7.html
"Stays pliable never hardens easy to remove"

http://www.google.com/search?q="copper+coat"+"K+and+W+Products"&hl=en&lr=&start=10&sa=N
Always seems to be listed with Adhesives and glues.

I had a large conversation with a good friend of mine on this subject, who happens to have spent the last 30 years building high performance engines. Most of these have been V8's, mind you, but he has worked on just about everything you could mention, from old flatheads, to our own venerable 4G63.

After speaking about this at great length, I was told to use an MLS gasket and NOT spray it with copper coating, under any circumstances. The reason I was told to perform the gasket install this way was quite simple. When prepping the head and block for an MLS gasket, more care has to be taken in regards to Roughness Average (RA). Specifically, an MLS gasket needs at least an 80 RA to seal properly. Because the MLS gasket is not a composite, it does not want to fill in minor gaps the way the stock gasket would. This is the reasoning behind the roughness average test. Now, keeping this in mind, you would think that copper would be the thing to use, as any imperfections would be filled with the spray, and things should seal better. However, whenever you spray a gasket, how do you do it? By hand, with a rattle can. You usually are also holding it vertically, because you can't coat both sides of the gasket while laying it down. It will just stick to whatever you lay it on.

There is no measureable way that you can garantee that the gasket will be evenly coated, and to add insult to inury, there is also no way you can measure how much of the spray seeps BETWEEN the layers of the gasket itself. So, what you wind up with is essentially a warped gasket, with many different low and high spots all over. These low and high spots depend solely on how much spray was hitting the gasket when you paint it. Compression of the head and block against the gasket MAY help smooth some of these imperfections out, but when you're dealing with a variance the thickness of a human hair, is it really something you want to chance? I know my hands aren't THAT steady.

After reading this thread, I now have two very good reasons why I will not use a copper spray on my head gasket.

Matt.

Enraged78 said:
I had a large conversation with a good friend of mine on this subject, who happens to have spent the last 30 years building high performance engines. Most of these have been V8's, mind you, but he has worked on just about everything you could mention, from old flatheads, to our own venerable 4G63.

After speaking about this at great length, I was told to use an MLS gasket and NOT spray it with copper coating, under any circumstances. The reason I was told to perform the gasket install this way was quite simple. When prepping the head and block for an MLS gasket, more care has to be taken in regards to Roughness Average (RA). Specifically, an MLS gasket needs at least an 80 RA to seal properly. Because the MLS gasket is not a composite, it does not want to fill in minor gaps the way the stock gasket would. This is the reasoning behind the roughness average test. Now, keeping this in mind, you would think that copper would be the thing to use, as any imperfections would be filled with the spray, and things should seal better. However, whenever you spray a gasket, how do you do it? By hand, with a rattle can. You usually are also holding it vertically, because you can't coat both sides of the gasket while laying it down. It will just stick to whatever you lay it on.

There is no measureable way that you can garantee that the gasket will be evenly coated, and to add insult to inury, there is also no way you can measure how much of the spray seeps BETWEEN the layers of the gasket itself. So, what you wind up with is essentially a warped gasket, with many different low and high spots all over. These low and high spots depend solely on how much spray was hitting the gasket when you paint it. Compression of the head and block against the gasket MAY help smooth some of these imperfections out, but when you're dealing with a variance the thickness of a human hair, is it really something you want to chance? I know my hands aren't THAT steady.

After reading this thread, I now have two very good reasons why I will not use a copper spray on my head gasket.

Matt.

I understand the points your friend is making. But if no one is reporting leaks after spraying the headgasket with copper sealer, than whats the big deal? Spraying the gasket is not significantly hurting anything or else more people would be reporting leaks after spraying. I am not arguing with your points, I just do not understand how people can say to not use copper spray, when no one has actually reported negative results from using it. There may be reasons not to use it, but in my opinion, there is not enough to outweigh the benefits. A question for the experienced, can't you spray the block first, then lay the gasket, then spray the gasket? Instead of holding it vertically and spraying?

Spoolin98 said:
I understand the points your friend is making. But if no one is reporting leaks after spraying the headgasket with copper sealer, than whats the big deal? Spraying the gasket is not significantly hurting anything or else more people would be reporting leaks after spraying. I am not arguing with your points, I just do not understand how people can say to not use copper spray, when no one has actually reported negative results from using it. There may be reasons not to use it, but in my opinion, there is not enough to outweigh the benefits. A question for the experienced, can't you spray the block first, then lay the gasket, then spray the gasket? Instead of holding it vertically and spraying?
The reasons NOT to spray it have pretty much already been explained in this thread. As more and more engines are produced with tighter and tighter tolerances the older practices will not be permitted without risking the sealing integrity.

As for spraying it on the block that's also been discussed already because it's a glue/lubricatant which can compromise the sealing of the combustion chambers at the piston ring sealing points. Spraying it on the block is just a bad idea all together.

Doug99RS said:
The reasons NOT to spray it have pretty much already been explained in this thread. As more and more engines are produced with tighter and tighter tolerances the older practices will not be permitted without risking the sealing integrity.

As for spraying it on the block that's also been discussed already because it's a glue/lubricatant which can compromise the sealing of the combustion chambers at the piston ring sealing points. Spraying it on the block is just a bad idea all together.

Couldn't you just cover the combustion chambers while spraying?

Spoolin98 said:
Couldn't you just cover the combustion chambers while spraying?

What about the coolant and oil passages, or the studs? It just keeps going and going. I'm not trying to be argumentative here, and I'm not saying that a spray won't work, and hasn't worked. I'm just trying to show that there are multiple reasons why a copper spray is not the best solution to use anymore. Modern engines demand incredible tolerances, and I don't think upsetting those tolerances is a good rule for everyone to follow, especially when we're making more power with the 4G than we ever have in the past.

Thanks,
Matt.

Enraged78 said:
What about the coolant and oil passages, or the studs? It just keeps going and going. I'm not trying to be argumentative here, and I'm not saying that a spray won't work, and hasn't worked. I'm just trying to show that there are multiple reasons why a copper spray is not the best solution to use anymore. Modern engines demand incredible tolerances, and I don't think upsetting those tolerances is a good rule for everyone to follow, especially when we're making more power with the 4G than we ever have in the past.

Thanks,
Matt.

I agree, I just thought that a possible solution for uneven coating (spraying vertically)would be to cover up the combustion chambers, oil and coolant passages, and spray with studs in and the threads covered. I am not trying to be argumentative either, just trying to bring all possible points and views to the table. Thanks.

I think the idea behind covering up all those components is a good one but the reality of it being possible is very unlikely. There are quite a few openings in the block that just make "covering them" impossible without getting the rags or other covering devices all over the gasket thus removing spray sealant.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Doug99RS said:
I think the idea behind covering up all those components is a good one but the reality of it being possible is very unlikely. There are quite a few openings in the block that just make "covering them" impossible without getting the rags or other covering devices all over the gasket thus removing spray sealant.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Well put. So how would you recommend spraying the gasket? Just spray both sides evenly and put it on?

compression said:
:rolleyes: he recommends not spraying it at all.

He obviously has experience in using copper spray. Doug99RS: "I've been spraying MLS headgaskets ever since I started and I've never had a failure". I am asking HIM how he recommends spraying them since he has experience, not whether or not he thinks I should use copper spray. Who are you to answer for him anyways?

so basically, dont use copper spray on the metallic headgaskets because it deflects cooling ability between the head/block.

Before I go any further I would like to stress that this started out as a recomendation/strong suggestion NOT to spray HG's. However, as I got to thinking about it and got feedback from other intelligent and experienced members I felt that I couldn't stand behind the policy of "Don't spray your DSM HG's" and as such I moved the thread. It's in this area as more of a "Here's what I'm getting taught, there's alot of experienced members on here so lets discuss this and see if we can make heads or tails of it." So thanks for keeping it on a "debate" level and not turning this in to Jerry Springer.

It's not so much the cooling alone as much as it is the temperature transfer between both components throughout the entire heat up/cool down cycles.

My recomendations are as follows:

If you're going to spray, don't do it on the head and try and keep it as even as possible.

If you're NOT going to spray I wish you lots of luck because now I'm not sure if you're doing the right thing or not. However, I only suggest NOT spraying to members who have had their head and block professional prepped with the proper finish. For those of who are competent enough to not need to pay someone for this high quality of work I applaud you. As a professional mechanic I can tell you I am not like you.

End of recomendations.

What I have done in the past without problem is hold the gasket up chest level and drown the crap out of if back and front. I never pryed apart the layers because I didn't want to deform the steel. To this day I have never had an MLS headgasket come back on me. I understand that I may promote extra thick build up of Copper Coat in one or more area. However, we do a multi-step torque procedure which leads me to beleive there's an opportunity for the stuff to squish out slightly to a more acceptable finish.

Honestly, I feel as though this recomendation to NOT spray doesn't fit 98% of the audience. We don't have these machines with such strong tolerance limits. I personally think that there is too much electrolosys (pitting), too many practices used for cleaning the gasket surfaces and too many shade-trees fixing cars on here. This is not a knock on the home-grown low-budget racer by any means. I'm just saying that we need to promote a practice that fits the audience and encourages repairs that last as long as possible.
Doug

ITSME4G63 said:
so basically, dont use copper spray on the metallic headgaskets because it deflects cooling ability between the head/block.

No, reread. It states that the spray interferes with the expansion and contraction abilities of the mls gasket.

That sounds good on paper but unfortunately, it also contradicts the reason why the mls gasket was made in the first place. Generally, the mls gasket is made of 3 layers. The top layer was designed to seal to the head surface. If it was to slip and slide around, this would promote failure. I know, contradiction in terms, right?
The second layer is usually thicker and designed as the friction layer. It will move around to accomodate the differnt expansion and contraction properties of the head vs the block.
The bottom 3rd layer is designed to seal to the block. Again, if this layer moves around, it will eventually fail.

And other things to consider are:
1) this was written with torque to yeild bolts in mind which also have more tendancy to stretch and contract with temperature changes. Most of the mls users here are using apr head studs which have a higher tensil strength, higher clamping loads, and made of an alloy which suffer from little to no thermal expansion.
2)Head and block surfaces where not machined to exacting tolerences 10 years ago. Today they are due to emissins standards, fuel economy, better and cheaper technolgy, etc.

All in all, the spray was not desinged to be a glue, it is designed to fill minor voids in the mating surfaces of eact part. As stated, the "glue" has about the same consistency as snot when at operating temperature. This will not hold a gasket to a surface, only the claming load will do that.

And for the record, I have spayed al least 100 mls gaskets with copper spray and have yet to see any failure.

92awddsm said:
No, reread. It states that the spray interferes with the expansion and contraction abilities of the mls gasket.

And other things to consider are:
1) this was written with torque to yeild bolts in mind which also have more tendancy to stretch and contract with temperature changes. Most of the mls users here are using apr head studs which have a higher tensil strength, higher clamping loads, and made of an alloy which suffer from little to no thermal expansion.
2)Head and block surfaces where not machined to exacting tolerences 10 years ago. Today they are due to emissins standards, fuel economy, better and cheaper technolgy, etc.

All in all, the spray was not desinged to be a glue, it is designed to fill minor voids in the mating surfaces of eact part. As stated, the "glue" has about the same consistency as snot when at operating temperature. This will not hold a gasket to a surface, only the claming load will do that.

And for the record, I have spayed al least 100 mls gaskets with copper spray and have yet to see any failure.

Actually, EVERY 420A got an MLS when it went in to the dealership for replacement once the MLS was introduced as the supercedence for the composite. As most any 420A owner knows ARP studs are a little difficult to run by and as such are NOT used in a vast quantity of repairs for that engine. Also, a large number of the engines in use on the DCX vehicles also use torque-to-yield head bolts with their MLS gaskets yet are NOT leaking compression, oil, or coolant.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back