The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Which method of injection?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colossus

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 23, 2003
Crestview, Florida
Well, I'm debating. The time has come to choose my method of injection. See my profile for mods, I'm more or less built as much as I can at the moment.

It's come down to one of these three, or hell, all three with different points of usage.

Nitrous for it's addition of increased air

Propane for its cooling methods and additional octane levels

Methanol for its cooling methods.

I was told Propane cools better than Methanol does though

What are your opinions on which route? I'd go all three, but that's just three bottles in the trunk for me, and I'm thinking it'd be better to eliminate. There's no need for that many systems of injection.

Colossus said:
Well, I'm debating. The time has come to choose my method of injection. See my profile for mods, I'm more or less built as much as I can at the moment.

It's come down to one of these three, or hell, all three with different points of usage.

What are your opinions on which route? I'd go all three, but that's just three bottles in the trunk for me, and I'm thinking it'd be better to eliminate. There's no need for that many systems of injection.

nitrous is good, produces more HP and cools the intake charge but you could get greedy with it, also the cost of it is aorund 375-4.50 a pound, I would think that you will still have to run race gas for big boost, also you have the weight of the whole kit.

propane good for diesel trucks that have a bed and arent worried about getting to a crash, I would be nervous about driving around with a propane tank bolted to my car, hell I hate driving around after getting a bottle fille for my BBQ.

GO with the meth/alky/water alsways avail. and cheap costs about 89 cents for rubbing alky and 99 cents for distilled water. lowers your inlet air by a huge margin and I dont think you can go wrong with it. check out turbobuick.com they have a alky section and the kit I would reccomend is the razor progressive kit since you will have to feed it in a bit at a time.

KGB Pilot125 said:
propane good for diesel trucks that have a bed and arent worried about getting to a crash, I would be nervous about driving around with a propane tank bolted to my car, hell I hate driving around after getting a bottle fille for my BBQ.

Propane tanks are crash certified. They're a hell of a lot safer than the tin can you call a gas tank.

thekellbeast said:
Propane tanks are crash certified. They're a hell of a lot safer than the tin can you call a gas tank.

my gas tank isnt under pressure, I would much rather bust a gas tank and have it leak out than bust the top off a cylinder or rupture a tank, and fill the cabin with propane. just my opinion though

Colossus said:

I tried the N20 thing, just to see what it was all about....It was great at a 35 shot, but it was a tad more maintenance than I wanted, for the benifits.

I was interested in propane injection. It seemed great, but I also did not want a propane tank in the cabin with the chance of leaks. Boost leaks also came to mind, propane smells pretty nasty, and I always have boost leaks.

I sold my SMC alchy kit, and made my own for under 75 bucks. I am currently injecting 110 octane gas and so far so good. I am using a fuel injector, and an emanage to run it. I am very pleased with the knock reduction/more boost option on pump gas. :thumb:

go to www.turbobuick.com and read their alcohol/propane/nitrous injection forum. TONS of info!

KGB Pilot125 said:
my gas tank isnt under pressure, I would much rather bust a gas tank and have it leak out than bust the top off a cylinder or rupture a tank, and fill the cabin with propane. just my opinion though
True, but propane won't turn to phosgene gas as it burns the way your A/C's Freon/oil mix will. O, the world is fraught with terror. Particularly the imagined kind.

Nothing else you do is even half so dangerous as driving to the market for a quart of milk.

However, nitrous is bomb-making, with your engine internals for shrapnel.

Propane will chill the intake a bit, but its added octane is trivial when the quantity is factored in.

Methanol is effectively the same as water injection, but costlier.

If you want to go power-wild, go with nitrous. If you want a long-lived, happy motor, go with water or water/alcohol.

Other opinions will vary.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back