The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Spun Balance Shaft bearing Block fix method

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mechanix565

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 19, 2009
Pawtucket, Rhode_Island
so my talon spun a balance shaft bearing (rear bearing on the exhaust side of the block) and the balance shaft banging around in there wiped out the hole (couldnt even fit in an oversize bearing.( i knew it had spun out but didnt think to check if a new bearing would go back) so i had the block hot tanked, resurfaced and bored. when i got it back and realized my BSE kit didnt fit i had to come up with something and here it is... forgive me if someone already realized this but i didnt see it on here anywhere so i just wanted to make it known

on the balance shaft "hump" on the front of the engine below the exhaust manifold you will see two philips head pipe plugs. one in the front one in the rear if you remove a plug it gives you a direct shot at the oil galley hole. the oil hole is an identicle size as the threaded pipe plug hole in the block. so all you need to do is go to your local Fastenall or bolt store and get a LONG metric bolt the same thread as the plug (i forget what the thread is) and screw it all the way in until it bottoms out and it will block off the oil hole so you can reuse your block. i did it and have over 1000 miles on the motor 85-90 psi cold 30 hot idling have no issues.

edit: this is on a 6 bolt block i dont know about 7 bolts if they are the same or not.

Also you can drill and tap that inner oil passage and install a small bolt or allen head cap screw, then re-install the outer plug.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back