The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Where to buy holset turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisb33

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 20, 2008
Manila, Asia
I've been reading a portion of the Holset turbo threads at the turbo tech section but i honestly cant keep up reading all of them coz it's just too long. But i think ive read enough to consider this brand.

Problem is, i cant seem to find a vendor selling this turbo. Can anyone point me to a site selling these turbos?

Also, my goal is to reach 400whp with a fully rebuilt 7 bolt with all the supporting mods OR a 6 bolt block also with all the supporting mods (still debating on which route to take).

Thanks in advance.

chris b

Got ## pm. thx for all the info.

i dont remember, are you going to do BEP housing or T3 or T4 when you go to this holset?

I suggest you go even bigger, well you have dsmlink so u can go to WHAT THE HECK ever. I want 880s, Id suggest something in that range, ### there have been guys that maxed out 780s or so on 16gs. I'd say go big, and if you ever blow a turbo up, or downgrade, u can turn the injectors down, and thats no problem. its better to have more in there and not use it, to not have enough, and have to back off the throttle or not make enough power or run 100+% bc ## injectors are too small. If I wasnt so damn hardheaded I woulda got the 880's or 980's the FIRST time and been done with it.

got your PM buddy. will reply later when i get to work.

yeah i think im going to get the 880cc's. It's still within budget. anything bigger wont do budget-wise.

as for the housing...it really depends on what is available. I can do either of the three. Honestly i dont know what housing is recommended for holsets. what housing will yield less back pressure? what housing will yield better spool time yet still have room for top end?

Im still researching based on the wealth of info there in the turbo tech section about holsets. but it's really just a long read :beatentodeath:

hopefully when im done reading and when the others chime in here, i can have a better idea on what turbo im looking for.

In that thread i read that an H1E has close characteristics of the HX40. heck i dont even know the difference for those letters and numbers. they're like garrett codes hahaha. All i know (i hope im right) that the "H" stands for HOLSET. hahahaha

so to make the long story short, although ive decided to do the 6bolt route, and although im pretty sure im going to get a holset, Im NOT sure what holset to look for much more to buy YET.

plus ive heard issues about not being able to use the stock 1g BOV even if it's modded, and external gate is the way to go with this turbo. So.....if im going to do Holset, i better get it cheap enough to at least justify getting a tial external gate.

The rebuild parts of these holsets are ridiculously cheap on ebay! they even offer balancing for free if you buy the rebuild parts from them!

chris b

oh and another thing. Where should i feed this turbo oil from? the head or the oil pump/filter?

its confusing reading the thread in the turbo tech.

something to do with when your balanceshafts are removed. mine are removed so dont know how to go about this.

Thanks again.

chris b

No, feed the oil from oil filter housing with restrictor, or head without restrictor. As for the head, I am not sure, I feed mine from OFH, but recently DSM-onster mentioned something about feeding from the head, so knock yourself out and start read on Holset forums.

No, feed the oil from oil filter housing with restrictor, or head without restrictor. As for the head, I am not sure, I feed mine from OFH, but recently DSM-onster mentioned something about feeding from the head, so knock yourself out and start read on Holset forums.

feed it from the OFH even if the BS are eliminated? yes ive been doing my reading and it says in holset part 4 page 3;

quoting dsm-onster: "
I agree with Jeremiah completely. Feed from the head with a Holset if you have no balance shafts. They are designed to handle about 70psi oil pressure maximum per the holset manual. Now they also state that you need to show no less than 10 psi at idle and no less than 30psi at load (full spool).

If you HAVE balance shafts, the oil pressure may not exceed that 70psi maximum, but may very well not show enough oil pressure during idle or load if you feed from the head. I have bshafts, and I've not seen any issues with oil smoling otu the tail pipe. But I have seen a little oil at the joint/crack between the chra and turbine housing now develop. So I wonder if it's pushing just a small bit of oil past the rear seal or not. I also had a blown ring. Which could have raised the fuel pressure too high on boost? I don't know. But I'm tempted to feed it from the head as well.I'm just concerned about not having 30psi minimum oil pressure on load from the head, since I have bshafts. ."

personally id rather do it on the OFH. sorry for this noob question but again, what is this "restrictor?"

thanks.

chris b

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back