The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A What type of oil for my 420a?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Th3DooM

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 5, 2011
Dresden, Europe
I wanna do an oil change since my last one is ~10months ago. Last time I used 5w30 or 10w30, I forgot. There was no trouble in winter. Perfect starting, smooth driving. But in summer I had problems with oil pressure. Oil consumption is about 1 qt per 1000miles.

Now I wanna try 10w40. Could there be problems?

Also, I need a new oil filter. The last one was a cheap bastard and I wonder if it could hurt my engine. Now I wanna go with original Mitsubishi parts. Is this the right parts number?

M05281090

Thanks for advise.

I just bought 5W-30 Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic oil yesterday for my 420a. I didn't, however, go with an original Mitsubishi Oil Filter. I also bought a K&N Oil Filter, it has a 1 inch wrench off at the end of it.

I also researched that part number you listed and that is the correct part number for the originial Mitsubishi Oil Filter.

I've used a bunch of diff brands, from full synthetic to all over, quaker, caster, royal purple, penzoil, and I can tell you that I didn't really see any difference. I will start using full synthetic after my engine rebuild, but beyond that, I wouldn't say its really worth it. As for oil filter, I also use K&N but mainly for the wrench tip at the end. Your weight should be more determined by the weather of your area.

5w-30 is recommended from factory.

wix makes the best filters IMO.

whatever you choose, don't switch up brands. so if you go with mobil 1 STAY with mobil one. doesnt matter if its standard, syth-blend or full synth, but stay with the same brand

different oil company's put different detergents in their oil, which don't mix will together.

Most of those oil brands aren't available in Europe. Well known are Castrol, Shell, Mobil1, Liqui Moly.

Anyways, my question was pointed at the grade of oil.

... Your weight should be more determined by the weather of your area.

We have temperatures from -13 to more than 95 degrees F. Would it hurt the engine when I use 10W40?

I use 10w30 mobil 1 fully synthetic and it runs great for me in all seasons.

On a tired motor like that, I'd stick with dino 10w30 oils and Vavoline is a great choice - don't waste the monies on the more expensive synth oils, esp that RP stuff.

When you get the motor rebuilt and back to tight tolerances, THEN is then I'd go to synth after the break-in period.

I have weather like that here, 10w30 should good year round for you, sometimes i go 5w40-10w40 for summer, but it really wont make a difference either way

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back