The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

what kind of valve stem seals are needed for a 3 angle valve job?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnhieu

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 16, 2004
panama city, Florida
the topic says what im looking for. :thumb: also what kind of machine work is needed to fit 1mm over sized valves?

thanks tuners :thumb:

no body knows the answer to this question. i know alot of you people have added a 3angle valve job to your head rebuild

thanks

Well seeing how our head comes stock with a 3 angle valve job I am going to say stock ones.

so your telling me when you built your 2.4 you didnt add a 3 angle valve job to your head? why is everyone telling me to get it? why does sbr advertise that they put a 3 angle valve job on their heads?

also what does it take to make 1mm over sized valves fit?

thanks
david

dnhieu said:
no body knows the answer to this question. i know alot of you people have added a 3angle valve job to your head rebuild

thanks
I think the bigger question is,"What do valve seals have to do with a 1angle or a 3 angle or a 5 angle valve job?" These are two different sides of the stick.
MB

If you get a 3 angle valve job you are just cleaning everything upack to stock. I just bought a Buschur stage 3 head, but if you look at most head packages they all include a 3 angle valve job.

dnhieu said:
the topic says what im looking for. :thumb: also what kind of machine work is neeed to fit 1mm over sized valves?

Standard valve stem seals are used regardless.... all of the valves have a 6.5 mm stem, this does not change regardless of the type of valve job.

When you go to a larger diameter valve, we use a SERDI 3.0 with a radius cutter... which is a lot closer to a 5 angle valve job than a 3 angle job. This is done by opening the stock valve "seat" to the required diameter. The stock seat can easily go 1mm over.

Most well equipped machine shops can handle this type of work, however the wrong valve job on 1 mm oversized valves will flow WORSE than a standard valve...

Hope this helps.

MGH

Slowboy said:
Standard valve stem seals are used regardless.... all of the valves have a 6.5 mm stem, this does not change regardless of the type of valve job.

When you go to a larger diameter valve, we use a SERDI 3.0 with a radius cutter... which is a lot closer to a 5 angle valve job than a 3 angle job. This is done by opening the stock valve "seat" to the required diameter. The stock seat can easily go 1mm over.

Most well equipped machine shops can handle this type of work, however the wrong valve job on 1 mm oversized valves will flow WORSE than a standard valve...

Hope this helps.

MGH

this is the reason im going to spend 2200 dollars with this company :thumb:

thanks

wishihadatalon said:
because he told you something that most people already knew? Dont get me wrong slowboy is a good company but thats not really advanced.

He did not ask an advanced question.

My answer was sufficient for the question asked.

If you have another question, ask and I shall respond.

Or, if you are close by... make a time and we can walk you through the process here at the shop!

MGH

wishihadatalon said:
because he told you something that most people already knew? Dont get me wrong slowboy is a good company but thats not really advanced.

my reply was made more along the line of the customer service i get from this company.

but let me get this straight...

if i ordered stock valve stem seals, bronze valve guides, and 1mm over sized valves all this could be put into a head with a local machine shop just milling out the seats to get the valves to fit?

thanks
david

dnhieu said:

if i ordered stock valve stem seals, bronze valve guides, and 1mm over sized valves all this could be put into a head with a local machine shop just milling out the seats to get the valves to fit?

thanks
david

Yuh.

I as well am interested in this for Ill be doing a rebuild on a 1g nt head and need to know if I can just take the head to a machine shop and have the work done and buy the parts myself or do I have to shell out a grand just to get a good head from the companies like slowboy and such??

gSx_r1der said:
I as well am interested in this for Ill be doing a rebuild on a 1g nt head and need to know if I can just take the head to a machine shop and have the work done and buy the parts myself or do I have to shell out a grand just to get a good head from the companies like slowboy and such??

just buy a rebuild kit and it should come with everything needed for your local machine shop to but the head together.

dnhieu said:

thanks
david

Yes, you can also feel free to call the shop and get the prices on just what you want. If all you want is a basic rebuild and 1mm over valves, with no proting, S&R kit, etc... someone at the shop can help you.

Call and ask for Mark, Matt, Nate, Craig, or Jon.

Any of them will be able to help you.

MGH

dnhieu said:
the topic says what im looking for. :thumb: also what kind of machine work is needed to fit 1mm over sized valves?

David, there's really no need for big valves and a modded head if your car profile is accurate.

dnhieu said:
engine rebuild time bud :thumb:

Engine rebuild or massive turbo and exhaust?
With a 16g and a 2.5" cat back, a stock head is yawning.

wishihadatalon said:
Yeah for real. Especially a 1g head.

So how do you guys mod your cars?? All at once while spending about 10k?? i mean ya, he may only have a 16g and a 2.5 exhaust now. But, maybe he is looking to upgrade to a larger turbo and supporting mods later. So if he is building an engine now, why not make it suitable for what his end goal is rather than do the job twice? i just didnt see the need to criticize someone for the way in which they mod their car! I mean if we all did it the same, we would all have 12.0@*** mph cars with the same mods. Kind of boring isnt it? Keep in mind people who go against the grain find new concepts that may work better than the ones we know now.
Mark
SBR

gsx951 said:
Engine rebuild or massive turbo and exhaust?
With a 16g and a 2.5" cat back, a stock head is yawning.

DAMN! since you people are going to maul me i guess ill tell you the WHOLE story. i worked about 12 hours a day for about 3 months during the summer. i saved up about 6k for my motor rebuild, supra intercooler,RnR full 3" turbo back exhaust, set of 550cc injectors, 3gen rx-7 rims (getting painted gun metal), tires for the rx7 rims, and possibly if i have enough money a fuel pressure regulator.

the parts im buying for the head are all parts i will be using further on in my venture. like 1mm over sized valves and a 3 angle valve job. these will be used to their potential when i get a larger turbo. ill probably throw in some Manley springs and retainers for when i get a chipped ecu (rev to 8k+++) or cams. for now these parts are not hurting the performance and saves me lots of money for when my stock rebuilt head isn't good enough for a 60 trim.

please take the negativity some where else please :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back