The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

What Could Be Causing this?!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b00stedeclipse

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 4, 2002
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Ok here's my situation. Go to fire up the car for the first time after my rebuild, it's only getting spark to cylinders 1 and 4. Car will not run on 1 and 4 obviously. I change out the coil pack with another, and I get cylinders 2 and 3 running, with 1 and 4 no longer getting spark.

I tested my power transistor and that checked out. Put in new plug wires and plugs and same situation. The coils are in the stock location on the back of the intake manifold. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm currently stumped. Thanks in advance!

There's a connector (test connector i guess) for the ignition. ON a 2g it's blue and has 2 wires running to it. If those wires get seperated the car will only fire on half of the coil pack. The reason it can change from 1&4 to 2&3 is that mitsubishi changed the wires back and forth a few times on which wires from teh ECU ran which side of the coils.

You might try and see if you have this connector and if one of the wires hasn't stripped out of it or something ot make sure they still flow current to each other.

another thing to check would be the ignition outputs from the ECU to the power transistor but you'd need access to an oscilloscope to do this (if you can get one let me know and i'll tell you what to look for) to test the ECU adn CAS, i'm betting it's a wire some where, though i could be wrong

There's a connector (test connector i guess) for the ignition. ON a 2g it's blue and has 2 wires running to it. If those wires get seperated the car will only fire on half of the coil pack. The reason it can change from 1&4 to 2&3 is that mitsubishi changed the wires back and forth a few times on which wires from teh ECU ran which side of the coils.

You might try and see if you have this connector and if one of the wires hasn't stripped out of it or something ot make sure they still flow current to each other.

another thing to check would be the ignition outputs from the ECU to the power transistor but you'd need access to an oscilloscope to do this (if you can get one let me know and i'll tell you what to look for) to test the ECU adn CAS, i'm betting it's a wire some where, though i could be wrong

Where exactly do I start looking for this test connector? AND to 2 posts above, I've put these coils on another 1st gen and they've worked fine.
I appreciate your quick responses! :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back